1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Impressed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BIGLuke, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke [OP] I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    Some of you might have cought the thread about me getting into an accident in my work truck, which forced me to drive my taco to work for a couple days. I filled up my taco yesterday morning and drove yesterdy and today morning, so far I'm at 179 miles and am barely touching the half way point in the tank (this is in the 4.0). This is 2/3 freeway driving at 70-75 MPH and 1/3 city driving in the heart of chicago (which some might know as parking lot driving hahaha, especialy during rush hour). This would put me at about 20 miles to the galon, all I can say is I'm very impressed :D.

2. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    if your consciousness about your driving habits these trucks can be really good on gas...I'm talking 400+ miles on 1 tank...

but if your a heavy foot driver like most of the guys here...I will say you'll be filling up on a weekly basis...averaging around 315 miles per tank...

3. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    BIGLuke

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I agree, I try my best not to floor it at every light but its hard lol. Yesterday and today I didn't baby it and there was a few time where I developed LFS.

4. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4

How are you getting 400+ miles to a tank? With a light foot, driving like a grandma I'll get 20mpg. 65 on highway for 8 miles, backcountry roads at 50-55 for 13 miles, everyday for work. That's after an AFE Pro Dry and TRD exhaust, before both I was 18.9, now I'm at 20ish consistantly.

5. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    BIGLuke

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    ^When do you shift

6. Sep 22, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    30 mpg here outta the 2.4. The V8 just sits & waits to go camping & wheeling now.

7. Sep 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    I've got a TRD CAI with AFE Pro Dry S filter along with DTLH and the APR X-1...tuned...:D

I shift at 2K for every gear...I do have a 6 speed manual 4x4 tacoma...I drive a mixture of both highway and city streets to and from work, school, and back home...when on the highway I try not to exceed 70...but I usually just set my cruise control to 65...most of the roads around vegas at least the busiest streets are 45 mph...depending how lazy i am I may even set the cruise control on the city streets...

I also have a SGII (scangauge 2) that helps me monitor my mpg...for the most part it has helped me change my driving habits cause I can physically see how much gas I am using to accelerate and hold a constant speed...

I am from Hilo, Hawaii and I completely hate traffic...I tend to take whatever road has the least amount of stops, least amount of traffic, and quickest route home...some times I may take a route that is a mile longer to get back home but if that means there 3 less stops with 1/3 less traffic i'll take that route...

it all depends on your driving habit...since i've installed the DTLH and the x-1 I do have to say its a lot harder to stay off the throttle. I love hearing the headers...but since gas is slowly increasing once again I am in the conserving mode recently...

8. Sep 22, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    BIGLuke

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    Did you do the tunning your self, or have someone do it? I've been thinking about tunning mine. I think scangauge 2 might be my next mod.

9. Sep 22, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    i just saved the data logging and emailed that to Allan Phillips Racing (APR) and my buddy DS...they both sent me a new map to load using the usb jump drive it came with...I used the 1 from APR and my truck halls balls even more now...:D

the APR X-1 is self tuning...meaning every performance part you add there after the ECU will relearn and adjust timing on its own...if you want a more precise tune you just have to send a copy of your data loggings to APR and they will send you a new tuned map for all your current mods...trust me its straight up night and day with this unit...I LOVE IT...

10. Sep 22, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Last week I got 600km's on a tank. That involved a lot of highway driving though. :)

11. Sep 22, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    BIGLuke

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    I don't know much about tunning, so my next question is: Whats the difference between APR X-1 and URD MAF calibrator? What do they do? Which one is better?

12. Sep 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    BIGLuke

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    That is also quite impressive.

13. Sep 22, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Yeah I was very pleased. The tank wasn't even empty when I filled up :)

14. Sep 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    cspcrx

cspcrx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    We have only been through about 5 tanks on our 09 PreRunner Sport. We are getting about 22mpg and about 400 miles to each tank.

15. Sep 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    the URD MAF Calibrator is a good unit to have if you only have a CAI and headers...say you get a cai and the urd maf 1 time...gadget will setup the urd maf for that intake...its a tuned map...now if you add another performance part I believe you will have 2 options...send the urd maf calibrator into gadget and have him retune it for the new performance parts you added...or you can run the urd maf calibrator with the current tuning map that gadget may have given you. keep in mind its not self learning and you have to wait for urd/gadget to give you a new tuning map for every performance part there after...

but the X-1 can do much more than just tuning...its also turns your check engine light to a shift light...you can raise the rev limiter from 5500 redline to 6200...its literally self tuning...it learns and adjusts the engine according to the performance parts you are adding...like I mentioned before if you want a more precise tune all you have to do is save your data logs on USB jump drive and/or computer...email Allan Phillips Racing (APR) or any of the other APR vendors you may know about (for example: DS from High Velocity Motorsports, Gadget from URD)...can also help you get new tuned maps for your x-1 unit...

it all depends on what you want to do in the end and how much freedom you want in your vehicle...if your like me and want to learn the ins and out then get the APR X-1...trust me you won't be disappointed...

16. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    IndigoTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4

I'm shifting at 2k, problem is with the 6speed, at 75mph the engine sits at about 2500, so I try to stay around 60-65 on the highway.

17. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

20mpg is over 400 miles a tank :p

The tank is over 21 gallons...

18. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    T0LLPHR33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    21.1 to be exact...:D

19. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    This is good news I've been breaking mine in for 1000 miles of city driving in the suburbs of Philly & getting 16 mpg. I will be commuting to work 30 miles each way all highway starting tomorrow. So 20mpg would be great!

20. Sep 23, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    IndigoTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4

I guess I don't run the tank down enough to see. I usually fill when I get below a quarter tank. That's usually around 300 miles. I couldn't see myself getting another 100 miles from what I have left. Makes sense tho.

Products Discussed in

To Top