1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Impressive HP from 4.0L

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hardtaco, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Oct 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    the tacoma is faster than the frontier tho ;)

2. Oct 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Now why would I want to do that? Don't forget, those cars also weigh substantially less then what our 4.0 has to haul as well.

I had a 05 GTO with over 450 WHEEL horsepower (not flywheel horsepower like the mustang's 420HP) that I could run 87 on all day as well, with a compression ratio of 11.0, which is hardly a low amount of horsepower and a low compression ratio by any means, that thing rocked my world and mostly everyones around it, it was so torquey it was ridiculous... I'm hardly impressed by any high output engine cranking out big powaz running on 87 gas nowadays. The magic is all in the tuning.

The only thing you are getting out of 91 octane vs. 87 is a slower burning more stable petro really, nothing more out of it. The closer you bring the piston quench to the valves the less chance of detonation and knock, which allows you the ability to run a lower octane like the standard 87. So in theory you could be running a CR of over 12.5 and up ^^ without ever having to use "premium" gas.

Like I said, at the end of the day I'm more impressed with torque numbers because that's what gets you moving. I could give less of a damn about HP, because that's the figure which just sells cars.

Don't forget, those other guys are probably not using a more true to life way of testing their horsepower where yota is.

Stop getting so hung up on numbers and base your facts on the real life performance vs. the competitors if it bothers you that much.

3. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    dsmithla

dsmithla Member

Member:

Pre Pentastar (2012) yeah, but the Pentastar JKs are getting much better reviews. Especially with the 3.73 rear end. I still wouldn't expect them to beat a Tacoma off the line, it's just that merging into traffic isn't quite as scary as it used to be in a jeep (or as it is in my 99 TJ, for that matter).

4. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    dsmithla

dsmithla Member

Member:

and it's a pretty flat torque curve for a v6 too. The 3.8 you had to get the RPMs up to get decent torque. Not really what you want in a Jeep.

5. Oct 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Scott78

Scott78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR DCLB
    :rofl::rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top