1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In dash H/U GPS software?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Raylo, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jun 16, 2009 at 3:06 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I am finally going to upgrade the stereo on my 09 ... probably with one that has in dash GPS. Just a couple questions:

1. Has anyone found a resource that lists which brands of H/Us have what GPS software? For instance I saw a post here somewhere that said Kenwood uses Garmin for their GPS. What about Eclipse, JVC and Pioneer? Unfortuntely most product info doesn't address this question.

2. Are these units generally sensitive enough that their GPS antennas can be mounted inside (underdash or on inside of windshield)? For those choosing to mount then external are there any locations that give a clean wiring path?

2. Jun 16, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    Octane151

Octane151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    I only know that Kenwood uses Garmin and Pioneer uses Tele Atlas... not sure of the other two.

No need to mount the GPS antenna external. I actually have my antenna for my Pioneer mounted directly under the middle of the dash. It's wedged in the little space on top of the air vent and underneath the dash behind the radio, out of site. I get perfect signal there.

3. Jun 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Mine is also mounted inside the dash between the vents and dash internally.

4. Jun 16, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    +1 on the interior mounted antenna. works just fine.

5. Jun 16, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I expect they all use TeleAtlas or Navtech for the actual map data but I was curious about the user interface and route calc algorithms. Perhaps if they don't say it is just proprietary. In addition to Kenwood/Garmin link I see that Eclipse has one unit with an actual removable Tom Tom GPS unit.. also serves as detachable face security. Interesting...

I also wonder about the costs for map updates and such. They never tell you the full story in any of the specs listing or brochures.

Thanks for the reports of the antennas working well underdash. Much neater install that way.

Products Discussed in

To Top