1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In-Depth ICON Tubular UCA Write Up

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bigtaco06, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dec 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    bigtaco06

bigtaco06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    So, I have searched Tacoma World and I feel there’s not an abundance of info on Icon uni ball UCA’s. I figured I would do a pretty in dept review on them, as well as, install and alignment info. I’m trying to build a DD mid travel truck that is mostly bolt on. I know there is a sticky in the suspension section for TC UCA install, so I wanted to get some info out for people that are interested in the ICON arms. I will also edit and revise a lot of this so it will not be complete until I do the install and alignment portion. I'm not perfect if you see any incorrect info please feel free to correct me. I want to be as accurate as possible.

The un-boxing: The arms came packed very well in the box. I was actually pretty impressed with how beef the arms are. Each individual component was sealed in bags. I got the arms sealed in 1 bag, the brass/bronze (not sure what they’re made of) bushing washers in another wrapped in foam, the plastic bushings in another, and the last was the tapered pin adapters that go through the uni-ball. The box was filled with card board material that provided really nice support for the contents in the box. The box also came with some decent instructions on paper. The only knock I will give the arms which is actually pretty petty, I will admit, the ICON logos that came on the arms. When I pulled the passenger arm out of the box the sticker was completely missing, and the other was peeling. Not a big deal, I peeled what was left off and found some stickers in my box and custom cut them to go on the arm and it looks awesome.

20131211_173935.jpg

20131213_155316.jpg

20131213_155403.jpg

20131211_175321.jpg

Fit and Finish: All of the hardware included in the box looks very nice as well as the arms. I really like the uni-ball design on the arms as well as how Icon marked the passenger/ driver side to make no confusion. I like lower profile on top of the tapered pin adapter/misalignment spacer. I don’t like how high they are on other brands' UCA’s, as I think it looks dumb although I understand the functionality. I can also run a dust cover if I choose on this particular set, but I probably won’t because they are stick on and you have to take them off for any maintenance.

Install: Well, the install was pretty interesting to say the least. The hardest part is getting everything to line up. I'm not going to post install steps because there is already a pretty in-dept install thread, but I will elaborate on how my install went. The drivers side took us the better of an hour and a half because the bolt that holds the who UCA assembly (bushings and washers as well) was a pain in the ass to get out and get back in. Everyone told me to turn the long bolt around when you re-install the UCA, but that was not happening. Secondly it was an extremely tight fit in the bucket. The "wear washers" that are located on the inside between the coil bucket and the UCA are a very tight fit. I will also say we may have over greased the bushings because we had grease everywhere; all the parts and tools where sliding around everywhere. We got everything together and finished the passenger side in about 30 minutes. We had our game plan to get everything to line up before we started. Over all the entire install is pretty straight forward especially if you have air tools which saved our lives. I had to call ICON twice during the install for various reasons, and their customer service and knowledge is outstanding.

Alignment: I took the truck to a Les Schwab, they didn't want to touch it and told me to go to Toyota because of the VSC calibration. I have heard of members in the past having issues with the VSC going nuts so I took it to the dealership. The dealership didn't have any problems getting the truck into alignment and it drives straight as an aero (lets hope so because it cost me $132 bucks :anonymous: ). The truck rides very nice and doesn't wander around the road. I had a 06 in the past with a 3" spacer lift and stock UCA's and the difference is night and day.

Update: brought the truck on over to Discount Wheel and tire and had it aligned by someone who understands uniball suspension. Uped my caster numbers up to +2.7 driver and +3 passenger side. The truck rides way better than previous specs. No rubbing even with the tire stuffed in the fender. Which is a blessing because my tires rubbed the dog shit out of the fender flare when stuffed.

OVERVIEW: I am pleased with my ICON UCAs. Other than the pain in the ass install (which comes with any brand UCA I'm sure) the arms are pretty legit. I have much more down travel with the UCA's and ext travel C/O's. During the install I had the truck up on a lift which allowed the front and rear suspension to droop all the way. I don't have any exact travel numbers but before the install the rear drooped down a good 2 inches lower than the front. After the install I was surprised to see that that front suspension drooped a good 1.5-2 inches lower than the rear. I am not running a sway bar so my front end will really flex. The UCA's also do not make any contact with the ICON CO's. So far I would recommend these UCA's to any one and they are a beautiful match for my coilovers.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    BohlaaH and brucehutchinson like this.
  2. Dec 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    travel_taco

travel_taco Gentlemans Sausage

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Rust Bucket
    anti-fuel saving mods
    +1 . Finally there is something on TW about the Icon Tubular UCA's. Looking forward to seeing how the install goes.

3. Dec 14, 2013 at 4:04 AM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Floor mats, shorty antenna, brute force hybrid front bumper, ICON stage 3, method double standards, 285/75/16 KM2's, cool stickers
    Same here bud. They should go on Tuesday. I'm gonna start a build thread soon. Stay tuned.

4. Dec 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    cc tacoma

cc tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cooper
    Prescott, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Mag Grey Double Cab 4x4 Sport
    Awesome, thanks for taking the time to write this up.:)

5. Dec 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    I'll tell you this.. The ones for the first gen are terrible to install. If not done absolutely perfect... You'll surely strip the bolt.

The first gens ball joint is pressed into the spindle, unlike our first gen. On the first gen, you use a bolt to pull the lower part through the spindle "pressing" it in.

6. Dec 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    I can imagine man, It was a pain in the ass to get the long stock bolt to go back through all the hardware and washers on my truck, but it's do-able.

7. Dec 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    2nd gen, like ours, are fortunately designed better for this.

8. Dec 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    After installing 10 sets of aftermarket ucas or so it gets easier with time. I found the best way to put the bolts back in is stick a slim 4' pry bar through the grill and tap it with a hammer very gently, works like a charm.

9. Dec 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    It didn't take to long for the passenger side once we figured it out and a good hand from my buddy. That is definitely a trick I would be willing to try after the time we had.

10. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    UPDATE: I've had these bad boys installed for a few weeks and so far so good. I've been beating on the truck to the point wherw I have to tell myself it's not a trohpy truck. No complaints just remember to lock tite the uni-ball bolt.

11. Jan 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Let's see a pic or video!

12. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    X2

13. Jan 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    I will throw one up asap.

14. Jan 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Thanks Jared :woot:

15. Feb 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Does anyone know if the uni-ball on these is chrome or stainless? They specify the pin as stainless, but no mention of the uni-ball?

16. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    My laptop shit the bed so I't may be a while for pics or vids.... I'm putting some BFG km2s on method wheels on my truck today so there are def going to be pics in the future

I got this from the ICON website: 1" Stainless PTFE Lined Uniball Bearings. Not sure if that answers whether or not the actual uniball is stainless.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  17. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    Any time bud I'm back in town by the way!

18. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Thanks. I did find tucked away somewhere where the Icon rep said they are indeed stainless. But they have them special ordered to be stainless, so you need to get the replacements from them, not off the shelf.

19. Mar 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    I will say that with this UCA you better be prepaired to do some cutting if you plan on running a 285 or larger.... aka a cabmount chop, and find a big ass hammer because the tire gets pushed pretty far back into the fender. Not sure if the way the alignment shop set me up or what but 285s def need a lot of cutting. A lot more than my old taco with 3" lift and 33's with the stock ucas. I never had any issues with it rubbing the cab mount.

20. Mar 8, 2014 at 2:32 PM
    bigtaco06

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DBCB SB
    I couldnt imagine the cutting it would take to clear 35's

Products Discussed in

To Top