1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

in search of the off road truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jericco, May 31, 2009.

1. May 31, 2009 at 2:33 AM
    Jericco

Jericco [OP] New Member

Member:
    I currently own a nissan frontier 4x4 cc 2007. Just perchased it couple monthes back. The truck is great on all counts but one...the stock gears in the diff are geared really high and there are currently no aftermarket gears for any 05 and up frontier. So now i want to sell and perchase a toyota but i have questions. Please help me out as time is of the essence

1) The reason im selling the frontier as stated above is because i have my heart set on running 35's and regearing, how much to regear the tacoma v6 cc trd sport?

2) Auto or Manual? To tell you the truth if it does not really matter id like the auto. After driving my auto frontier i kind of like it. But what do you think if im running 35s?

3)what 6 inch lift do you recomend? this truck will be driven like a real truck and put through anything north america can dish out. Please advise well

4)Id like to run 35x13.5x20 with wheel spacers sticking the tire out around 2 inches past the fenders. Any of you out there have bushwacker fenders? how do you like them? Any other suggestions for protecting my truck from rocks kicked up from the meats?

5) What gears do you suggest in my case?

thank you for your help....much appreciated

2. May 31, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I don't really have answers to most but... are you planning on getting aftermarket lockers for the sport (ARB or otherwise)? The stock TRD Sport's have no locker at all, the TRD Off-Road does have an e-locker in the rear (front is still open).

3. May 31, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    1) I think you'd be looking at 700 or 800 to re gear depending on install. It'd be more if you do locker conversions.
    2) If you re-gear correctly- Auto should work. I like manual for wheeling..but it's personal preference...Get what you like.
    3) Procomp and Fabtech both make 6 inch kits. RCD makes a 4.5 inch kit- Not sure what kind of tires you can fit under that tho.
    4) I don't dig wheel spacers- They can damage the wheel bearings. So no idea about flares or anything...
    5) No idea.

4. May 31, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Oh yes more 35 inch Talk

If plan to wheel it and stuff 35's you will need to cut, and cut, and cut some more. Then you'll need to get your BFH. Also the cab mount with need to be cut and plated.

5. May 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    Jericco

Jericco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes id like to get lockers...i have not perchaced the tocoma yet ..just had a good opportunity on a trd sport...So going with a trd off-road package would be a better start? how much are the lockers?

6. May 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Where is Jose4x4???

He should have chimed in by now?? :confused:

7. May 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    Jericco

Jericco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for your help

BFH? cab mount..what? would it be easer to get a bigger lift?

thank you

8. May 31, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    BFH= big fing hammer

Cab mount will have to be trimmed no matter how high you go as long as you want to be able to flew out the truck.

9. May 31, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Start researching a solid axle swap.......

Is this gonna be an offroad rig? Street legal?

10. May 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    Jericco

Jericco [OP] New Member

Member:
    can i do this my self after lift is installed?

Its main purpose will be for hunting...so it will be road hard and put away wet...yet it will not be a rock crawler...i want to keep it street leagal.

To Top