1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In the market for a truck soon.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gizzygone, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Sep 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    I think I do. But for some reason, I spend all my free time on this damn site to get ideas to make changes to it.
    Considered another F-150. I wouldn't call it settling, so yes, I'm satisfied.
    I find the V6 power more than adequate. Not a V8, but there's not much to miss.
    Transmission lag drives me crazy. I needed a reason to drink more.
    If she doesn't, she'd prolly fit in the bed. :D Seriously, get a DC if you want to keep her around... comfortably.
    Get a mat. Your stuff will definitely slide (including the girl).
    Aren't all dealerships crappy? I haven't run into this yet. I'll be pissed if I do.
    Dunno. Hearing different stories. Don't let that affect you.

2. Sep 28, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I had always wanted a silverado becasue I really didnt like the 1st gen DC tacomas, and didnt care for the 2nd gen tacomas when they first came out, but they grew on me. I was looking at the silverados when I got my Tacoma, the dealer was selling them cheaper than my Tacoma. I always wanted a Tacoma because of the name and the great product. I dont need a full size pick up so I went with the Tacoma, and it was a shit ton of money, but worth every penny. It was my first Tacoma. I havent had too many problems, just dont, DONT do a spacer lift.

3. Sep 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    gizzygone

gizzygone [OP] Hi. My name is Gizzy.

Member:
    Here's a question for you folks.

I did a little more researching this evening, and I found out that there's a $4000 rebate on Silverados. So, even if I purchased an LTZ package (their high-end... leather package), I'd be within $4000 of the Tacoma price (34,000 vs 30,000 : this assumes there is no wiggle room for the tacoma price... which around here seems like there isnt).

But, I'd be getting a slightly larger truck with more rear seat space. Gas mileage is pretty comparable, but towing capacity has greatly increased.

Edmunds says the true cost to own both of them is fairly even.

Given all of that (Meaning you're getting a leather V8 truck with more capabilities), for a little more, what about the Tacoma is worth the $4000 in savings? (I know $4000 is a lot of money, but on paper it's getting me $8500 in extras due to the rebates. I could save money for a few extra months and pay the extra $4000 upfront).

4. Sep 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    sounds fair, check the consumer reports for the last 3-5 years though, not sure how that stacks up.

5. Sep 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Yes you get a little more truck, but what is it you are really getting? And it won't be nearly as dependable for the duration as a Tacoma or Tundra would be. My dad swore to me he would never own another foreign car/truck and when my mom Astro Van kept breaking down and money being thrown into it, he sold it and bought a 4runner...oh and this was after he bought his '07 4x4 double cab Radiant Red Tacoma. So yes you may get a little more up front, but you will take a major hit on the back end when you try to sell it or need repairs as it gets older.

If you go to a dealer and they demand sticker don't buy it from them, find another dealer in the area. I called each dealer up after I figured out what I wanted and started getting quotes, I just said thanks I will add you to the list and whoever has the lowest will get my business. Dealer hate to do it, but they WILL compete for your money.

You can also go to www.carsdirect.com and have them negotiate a deal for you at below sticker. In fact just for my area a new CC 4x4 Taco with TRD offroad and auto trans, goes for $30k http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=85282&acode=USC00TOT096A0&restore=false
    and cars.com says the same taco should be $27,932
    http://www.cars.com/go/configurator/summary.jsp
    Oh and always deal with the internet sales department, they seem to be more flexible on the price.

It's not like the economy is so great that they can demand that you pay sticker, their sales are hurting like anyone else's. If you plan on buying new wait till the end of the month, and make sure you know what comes standard with the package. For instance did you know that the convince package, SR5 and Towing package are all included with the TRD off road and sport package. So don't fall into the traps and gimmicks of dealers. Toyota makes a great product and you won't be sorry. If you do buy from them, don't get the platinum warranty from the dealer they will overcharge you check this thread out at http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209848 this guy has GREAT feedback and this is where my dad got his warranty from for $880 on the Tacoma with $0 deductible (same one the dealer will try to sell you for $1.5-3K). The dealer will have a hard time beating that.

The point is I would strongly urge you to consider not just dollars and pennies, but value and quality of product. The Tacoma is a good truck and will hold it's resell value for much longer than a Sierra Silverado or anything else, and the warranty will cover it longer than you probably will keep it.

Hope some of that helps...:D

6. Sep 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The post above mine... and two words.

Resale Value.

Chevy has none.

7. Sep 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    I love the look and added bed length of the Access Cab (the long-bed -- four door is just too long for city driving I think), but I'm considering adopting a German Shepherd in the coming months as well, so that may be a reason to upgrade the cab as well....

I have two malamutes and there is more than enough room in my double cab for them.

The double cab long bed has proven to be a parking challenge for me. I came from an Xterra that had an unbelievable turning radius, but that's all I miss...

I'm in pharmacy too, what school are you attending? Any prospects for future employers? Go to Walgreen's, tell them I reffered you and I'll split the refferal bonus with ya!! Depending on the market it's at least a grand!

8. Sep 30, 2009 at 2:54 AM
    gizzygone

Member:
    I'm in the Boston region of Massachusetts. Rumor has it it's pretty saturated out here, so I'm not sure there'll be any sign on or recruiting bonuses.

I'm actually waiting for a job offer letter from CVS right now. We'll see what's going on soon enough...

9. Sep 30, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Heh, my wife is a pharmacist with CVS (just hired). Great employer. Anyways, to the OP, I previously owned a 96 Tacoma that I built up pretty heavily for offroad. When I sold it two years ago, gas prices were through the roof, and I let that base my decision a little too heavily. I swore through the 4 years I owned my 96, that my next truck would be a fullsize. Well, I bought my 05 AC TRD Tacoma for two reasons:

Gas (as I stated above)
    My truck was loaded, used, and a great deal.

Since then, I've been happy with the reliability, the power is decent, the comfort is pretty good, but the frame rusts a bit more than my liking (even when I power wash every week during the winter), the springs in the rear are worthless (again, can be fixed), and gas mileage isn't leaps and bounds above the fullsize counterparts. I'm finding I want more cab room than my AC offers, but I also want a wider and deeper bed. If I could trade my truck for a used fullsized F150 or 07+ Tundra today for no payments (I have my 05 paid off), I would do it.

I'm not what I would consider someone that NEEDS a fullsize everyday, but the days I do need it (extra cab space and most importantly, extra bed space), I can't stand not having it.

If they would have made this truck with a wider bed, and a bit longer AC, it would be PERFECT (essentially a fullsize with the Tacoma styling):)

It's hands down the BEST mid-size truck on the market, so if that's what you're looking for, go for it.

Ford is the only non-Toyota brand I would consider at this point for truck alternatives.

10. Sep 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    gizzygone

Member:
    This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't want to regret not spending the extra cash up front for what I really want.

I'm by no means a carpenter or tradesman (obviously...I push pills), so I don't NEED a fullsize. But, I'm kicking myself in the butt for not getting something a little more practical than a jeep.

If I want to snowboard, I need to lug out an 80 pound hitch mounted rack. If I want to bike, I need to drag out the rack. If I want to go to the beach with friends... forget about it. Either beach chairs or friends. Not both. In the summer I can take out the rear seat (which weighs a ton) and have that cargo space, but in the winter, you're not getting back there (the plastic window will crack if you don't warm it up before trying to roll it up).

Economically speaking the Tacoma is a great bet. Reading road test reviews, It seems it gets around 18mpg average (The silverado reviews state 16mpg... with the smaller engine). Up front it costs about 4K less than a silverado. I may be tempted to purchase some accessories (TRD Exhaust, tonneau cover), but not nearly as much as I would with the full size truck (dual exhaust, tonneau cover, spray-in bedliner).

But with the Tacoma I'll be losing: Rear seat legroom, bed space, towing capacity, leather seats, built in navigation, V8 rumble ( :p ).

It's not an easy decision, which is why I'm trying to start this process now. I want to be happy with my purchase for several years (So I'm not looking to upgrade after 6 months).

As for the quality argument, I'm not sure I completely buy it. I don't think Toyotas of today are the same as toyotas of yester-year. My mother's Highlander has been in the shop for little electrical issues for a while now. Her power windows have died twice (My '99 silverado was in 3 times for this), her gauge cluster died and needed replacing (My silverado also had some failure of the odometer), her O2 sensors have been swapped out 4 times now (My 94 explorer had it swapped out 3 times in the 10 years we had it in our family). The silverado only had 1 more issue (the ABS unit fried 7 years into owning it... it cost too much to replace so we left it alone). Also, some of the reviews online (I'm not sure if it was car and driver or motor trend) pointed out some issues with severe rattling in the Truck, and severe brake fade issues (I'm not sure if these were improved over the year).

So Basically, my arguments to buy a Toyota are pretty weak right now. I need you guys to smack some sense into me!

11. Sep 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Well if that is all the case then why is Toyota known for being the number 1 when it comes to retaining it's resale value? Sounds like you mom may have gotten a bad vehicle, but if you read through these forums at least, there is not that much negative said about the Taco. If you are concerned with leg room then buy the double cab. It has more than enough and you will still have all the bed to throw things in. The Taco may not be the highest rated full size class truck in towing, but it's not a full size truck. To even be considered in the full size category speaks volumes for the truck.

I think it all boils down to what you want, and to be honest it sounds like you don't want a Tacoma or Tundra. So why ask everyone here to convince you to buy something that you don't want? Are you going to ask them to convince you to go see a movie that you don't like too? I'm not trying to be rude; I'm trying to make the point that it's not us who have to drive the truck and be happy with it, but YOU. So don't let someone convince you to buy something that you really don't want. I shared some good info on prices and how to handle dealers if you really want a Tacoma, but that has to be you decision not everyone else's.

I wish you good luck with you purchase and hope you love whatever it is you go with. I would just advise you to test drive both and then think very long and hard about all the factors that go into buying one over the other. After that go with what you want and don't look back.

good luck man :)

12. Sep 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    gizzygone

Member:
    I hear you, and I appreciate the help. It's not that I don't want the Tacoma. I just want to make the right choice. Like I said, I wont be making a move until May, so I have plenty of time to research. Buying as a new-grad, cost is really a factor. What I really want (and I'm talking dream truck here) is a Tundra double cab, 5.7L 4x4 limited with navigation, Black exterior and red rock interior. But, that's a $50,000 vehicle!

And since I'm in a serious love-hate relationship with my Jeep (Love: top-down doors off, manual transmission... Hate: noise at highway speed, fuel economy, winter driving, lack of power, leaking top, plethora of problems), I want to replace her with a truck.

My 5 year plan right now is to:
    -Move into new apartment (dirt cheap rent, since I know the owners)
    -Continue with my clinical rotations
    -Get engaged
    -Graduate/Pass the boards
    -Purchase new truck
    -Throw 65% of salary at student loans
    -Continue living in apartment
    -Get married (2 years at this point)
    -Continue living in apartment (with wife), while paying off loans
    -Start saving for house
    -Buy house (at end of 5 years)

Sometime after buying a house (5-7 years from now), I would hope to be able to upgrade to my dream tundra.

In the mean-time, I want a truck that:
    -Has 4wd for the winters here
    -Has decent fuel economy (My first 2 years of working will require me to "float" from store to store so I can be exposed to different environments)
    -Has good power (the power in my jeep is absolutely anemic. you need a good running start to pass somebody, and the max towing capacity is only 1000 pounds)
    -Can tow: SeaDoo Jet boat, Two SeaDoo JetSkis or Two 4 wheelers
    -Is comfortable to drive on-road (jeep is not...)
    -Is stable and steady on the highway (no shimmying, being blown around in the wind, or swaying)
    -Is relatively quiet (jeep is not)
    -Has decent resale value (Jeep does!)
    -Has minimal to no problems (oil changes only, please!)
    -Is built solid (creaks, squeaks and rattles at every crack in the road is not acceptable)
    -Can carry various items (What if I want to move a sofa? What if I decide I'd like to buy a new TV? What if I want to go tailgating?)
    -Is reliable (why does a 2 year old jeep have issues where the e-brake gets stuck, when I'm in a parking lot, requiring a flat-bed to pick me up??)
    -Wont break the bank (No needless repair costs, not a gas-guzzler, doesn't require super-expensive-oil or rare parts, is great bang for the buck)
    -Brings smiles to my face when I hop in it!
    -Makes me proud to own it.

It's a demanding list, I know, but it's what I want!

13. Sep 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    if your worried about length then go with the dc shortbed. but get the v6 4x4. youll wish u had it if u didnt. i have a 2wd 4cyl access cab and i can take ppl in the back seat.. but they complain about knee space. and for me i wish i had 4x4 for living around mud and snow conditions. the 4 cyl puts out a nice bit of power.. but it is still a 4 cyl, i sometimes wish i had that extra kick. dont get me wrong i love my truck and will probably be a repeat buyer because of the reliability and resale value. but if i was to buy a truck for me id get what suites my needs (4x4 v6 DC). after all it legally is my dads truck so i really cant complain.

14. Sep 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    Tige77

Tige77 Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Shop around and think very carefully about buying a Toyota truck right now. I just bought a 2009 Tacoma and have had to have the radio replaced because it took on a mind of its own (that took 6 wks waiting for the new one). I am also having problems with the transmission slipping and I am being told it is the new technology and I need to get use to it. I can understand new technology, but when you are crossing traffic and your truck hesitates and then lurchs forward is a bit unnerving. This is my 5th Toyota truck and I have nothing but praise for Toyota's reliability and performance until this one. If Toyota doesn't acknowledge that a problem exists and finds a fix for my current problem, this will be my last.:(

15. Sep 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop

Honestly, it sounds as if you REALLY would do well with a Tacoma. I'm in the situation you're in (more or less inadvertently). I think I'll keep mine for the next few years, and when I have enough money to pay cash, I'll step up to a fullsize. The Tacoma IS going to hold it's value the BEST over those 5 yrs for you.

16. Sep 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Based off your list, the Tacoma pretty much fills the bill to a T for the most part. Putting a smile on my face is more than just raw power (though that helps). Coming from 300hp sports cars.... I still smile every time I see my truck, get in it, and drive it.

Getting blown around is going to happen with any truck/suv/large vehicle. It's physics... A full size SHOULD be even worse than the tacoma by all rights.

As for the list of stuff you put down... honestly a double cab 4x4 fits the bill. You might want to consider a DC long bed for the extra room.

Towing... it'll do that in spades for the toys you listed. I've towed a 3800lb+ Dodge Stealth R/T TT on a u-haul 1ton car hauler. It wasn't exactly fun, but it's well over the weight you're looking at it and power-wise it pulled it ok. It wasn't a rocket though :p

Also, the features you listed. Saving the 4k from the chevy you can get leather added, put in a way better nav/entertainment system that looks completely stock, TRD cat-back or borla or any other varient sounds good but no v8. Also, a spray in bed-linner is 100% useless to the composite bed. However, I would recommend a bedmat to keep stuff from sliding.

17. Sep 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    i have a dc longbed i was going through the exact same as you, with the siverado, but i finally decided on when i found out that the adveradge tacoma will last for over 200k miles, you will be lucky to get half that without engine trouble in a chevy, and i know in 5 years its hard to think about 100k miles but these trucks are great

18. Sep 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    How do you like your Tacoma? Are you a repeat / would you be a repeat owner? This is my 2nd tacoma. I had an 03 & now the 05.Best vehicle I have ever owned. I have 129,000 miles & no problems. I just replaced the 5 year old factory battery. Still on original fan belt. Only thing I have done is normal maint, tires, & brakes.

Were you in the market for a full-size pickup? If you settled with the tacoma, are you satisfied??
    I looked at fullsize, But I'm glad I went with the Tacoma. It has plenty of power to pull my bass boat. I get good gas mileage, easy to park(unlike a fullsize).

How is the engine (V6): Power wise??? Is this TRD supercharger still available for 2010 models?
    Plenty of power without the supercharger. I have raced a few cars at the light that thought they were going to blow my doors off. And I suprised the hell outta them when I was able to keep up.

Are there any known issues with the 2nd gen Tacomas? (all cars have some problem... the 2007+ jeep is known for leaking tops, and poor manual transmissions... I hear the tundras have issues with rusting bumpers)
    If you want to haul any weight, you have to get the suspension TSB which is covered under warranty. It adds an extra leaf spring & I think Bilstien shocks.

Could an adult ( 5' 3" female...aka my girlfriend) fit in the rear of an access cab? Or is that for tool storage only?
    Not sure. I have a DC& am 6'3" & I fit in the back fine.

What is the deal with the composite bed? Any problems with it??? Or is it more of a blessing???
    Zero problems. It is tough as nails. I throw stuff in there all the time. No issues. That stuff must be unbreakable. Plus it lightens the truck compared to a steel bed.

My mother owns an '03 Highlander. Toyota can (and sometimes does) charge her $150 for a diagnostic fee when she has issues, even though it's under warranty. Is this just a crappy dealership, or does Toyota really do this (I pay $0 for any of the many trips I've made to the dealership for my Jeep)?
    I think the Stealer sees her coming & is purely ripping her off. I have never paid for diagnosis of a warranty item. Need to find another dealer.

Will the current generation be replaced in 2011? Or is this truck around to stay for some more (I haven't even begun following this truck yet).
    I think Toyota is changing the Tacoma in 2013, that is what I read. I plan on keeping my truck forever. that doesn't mean I won't buy another one.

For deals try carsdirect.com it is a free car buying service. Also Edmunds.com to check for any rebates & what the truck should cost you.

19. Oct 14, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    gizzygone

Member:
    Hey guys... Sorry to bring this back to the top, but I've come up with a few more questions.

1: Out of pure curiosity, does the tacoma have heated mirrors?

2: I've read complaints that the tacoma doesn't have intermittent wipers?

3: Is this radio dying issue an existing problem? Or has it been fixed?

4: Rusting frames. I live in New England, so I'm prone. Is Toyota fixing this issue, or will I have a frame that's rotted out in 2 years???

Thanks again!

20. Oct 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    i got you
    no i dont believe there heated, but there power adjustable
    the sr5 models have the intermittent wipers, pretty sure i havent had to try them yet
    i have not had any problems with my radio nor has anybody i personally know
    my truck is 3 years old and not even a little rust

Products Discussed in

To Top