1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Increasing payload

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 223sniper, May 6, 2010.

1. May 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    223sniper

223sniper [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Brewer, ME USA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have a 2010 4x4 standard cab with a 4-cylinder engine primarily as a work truck. My former workhorse was a 1/2-ton Chevy so I'm missing the payload capacity. Is there a reasonably inexpensive way to increase the current payload? I'm not looking for a lift or anything like that. I just would like to be able to get closer to waht I had with the Chevy.

2. May 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Get a trailer. There isn't a way to increase the capacity of a given truck....You just needed to buy a larger truck.

3. May 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    New rear spring paks? AAL (add-a-leaf)? I have the rear spring TSB but if I were hauling heavy loads daily I think the TSB 4-pak would be only marginal.
    Early Chevy trucks (40's and 50's) were rated 1/2 ton, only had a 105HP engine, but one helluva stack of springs in the back.

4. May 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    trevthefatty

trevthefatty Wheelin' the Great White North

Member:
    Consecon, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 TRD
    Toytec Coilovers, URD MAF calibrator, remote start, deck plate & grey wire etc.......lots of little mods....
    Hey, I'm not sure if this really increases the payload capacity of the truck or not, but I guess it adds some sort of extra support in the rear end....
    Basically you install a light coil spring ontop of the rear axle and leaf spring, which acts like a "helper spring"..... it's called the Zuk mod....www.gearinstalls.com (bottom left of the page)
    To me, well I wouldn't go and try to tow any big heavy trailer just because I put this Zuk mod on, but I guess if I have a load of wood the truck won't squat as much right....
    I just installed everything on my truck today with some rough country shocks....will post some pics tomorrow

5. May 6, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Beefier bump stops (Timbren, etc.), air bags, and leaf springs with a stiffer spring rate will all help your *suspension* cope better with heavier loads.

This is to say nothing of what said loads will do to your bed, frame, motor, transmission, etc. over time.

There's a reason all these specs are rated by the manufacturer: Their engineers have thought long and hard, and done a lot of fucking complicated math, to determine what work these vehicles can do on a regular basis without causing undue damage or putting anyone's safety at risk.

If you needed more, you bought the wrong vehicle. I can personally attest that the Taco does a fantastic job up to and including it's rated maximums, because I've tested pretty much all of them.

6. May 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Commifornia
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    To much to list...see sig for more...
    Airbags?

7. May 7, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Helpers springs from any autoparts store for 25 bucks will help the bottoming out. But overloading way more than max increase chances of something else failing...and your liablity for such actions if someone is injured because of it.

Trailer is your best bet.

8. May 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    223sniper

223sniper [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Brewer, ME USA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I'll go with the trailer. There's a lot to be said for respecting what work engineers have done in designing the truck. I need to get better at backing trailers anyway. Thanks to all for the replies.

To Top