1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Info about 2011-2016 VW TDI vehicles

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by 2DaMtns, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Jun 21, 2020 at 9:44 PM
    2DaMtns

2DaMtns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB in MGM
    Lift, tires, stuff
    I'm looking to buy a commuter. I'm intrigued by all the TDI models the VW group puts out. I am looking for pros and cons of the models in this range. Most likely to consider a Jetta, Audi A3, or a Touareg. Only thinking about the diesel models.

EdgemanVA likes this.
  2. Jun 23, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    Omar RVA

Omar RVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Omar
    OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ram 2500 Power Wagon; 2019 Land Cruiser
    At this point, post dieselgate cars are dirt cheap. That said, definitely spend some time on the vwvortex and tdiclub forums researching the particular model you're shopping. They're amazing cars when they're doing well, but I wouldn't own without warranty (for the model year range you're looking at, Carmax would be great but they typically carry very few diesels). The diesel fix dropped power and fuel economy (though I think there are deleters out there operating on the DL given the EPA's recent crackdowns) but they're still competitive in their segment.

Everyone I know who has one loves it; but they're also the "it just needs regular maintenance" types that have a very skewed understanding of regular maintenance (i.e. every German car owner). When the HPFP, DPF, axle shaft, master cylinder, brake pad sensor, etc. goes they're typically super expensive and often times difficult to work on yourself unless you're willing to invest in some equipment.

The rational thing to do would be to grab yourself a Prius or hybrid highlander but sometimes rational isn't the right choice.

OA

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  3. Jun 23, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    Heinen

Heinen Well-Known Member

Member:
    South TX
    Vehicle:
    17' TRDOR 4X4
    I had a 13' tdi jetta as commuter. Sold @ 230,000 miles. The only repair made was to replace timing chain @ 110,00 miles. You will see alot for sale around 100k miles. I wouldn't buy one at high mileage unless the timing chain was replaced. If they break it'll blow engine.

shakerhood likes this.
  4. Jun 29, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    seattle_taco

seattle_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    I had a 2011 Touareg TDI, that was purchased back from VW

My father had a 2012 Cayenne (basically the same car), but since he was in Canada, they offered him a software upgrade (plus cash). He immediately started having issues with it. After about 6 months he got rid of the car, the new owner knew of the issues and already had a shop that would re-program the old polluting software for about $1500. I would say away from these cars if they have the new software.

5. Jun 29, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    CFO drives a tdi Touareg it’s been a great suv averages 27-30 mpg. The ride is incredible plenty of power stock I did put a inline hockey puck programmer now it chits and gets.
    Maintenance is higher obviously but we knew that getting it. You can’t go wrong with any tdi imho as long as it comes with the extended warranty we did have a dpf sensor go out. But filling the dpf is a chore since it’s under the spare tire in the cargo area.

shakerhood likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top