1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Initial setup for ICON/DR coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TX RPO, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    TX RPO

TX RPO [OP] Desert Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    SHANE
    LAS VEGAS NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    Dr Coilovers; Camburg UCAs; Sway bar Relocation block; Deaver J66 Leafs; ProComp extended travel rear shocks 6K HIDs & 13" antenna
    I tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for. I just bought a set of DR coilovers (which I heard are the same as ICON?) But eitherway, on the sleeve there is over 3" of threads. Now i'm just trying to make sure i'm understanding them correctly...

If I leave the adjustment ring at the top (stock height) then I will have "X" amount of down travel but almost no up travel correct?

If I set it up to where the adjustment ring is as far down as it can possibly go (whatever amount of lift that is) then I will have "X" amount of up travel and almost NO down travel right?

so how will I know where to set everything? plus i'm assuming i'll have to raise the drivers side to compensate for the "BRO lean" right?

I've also got the Camburg UCA's as well... NOTE: non of this is installed just yet but will be soon. Thanks

Shane

2. Jul 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD Chewie is my Co-pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA hometown Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SAS Yota
    SAS, Flat bed, 22R, BFG Muds,
    Shane, Setting the coilovers at the stock setting will give you factory up and down travel. which is 4" each way and no lift from the Coilover.
    Setting the coilovers to 3" of lift will reduce your down travel by 3" so your left with 1" of down travel.
    But, 3" of thread does not equal 3" of lift, it will be a lot higher.

3. Jul 5, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    What they said,

Also just a few things i learned while installing my Icons. Measure your before and after. Also, after you have adjusted your icons the first time. take it around the block and hit a few speed bumps if you can. Come back and remeasure. They have to settle in a bit from you jacking it up and dropping it back down. Wont be its true height untill you take it out of the driveway and back in.

4. Nov 10, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    LED Spyder Tail Lights, Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear 5125s, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 33x12.50R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack, Glassworks Front Fenders, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, MBRP Catback Exhaust, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, AFE Stage2 CAI, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper
    This is a very helpful thread. I just received my spanner wrench through the mail. Last time I measured the threading, it was at 1.5" of thread exposed and my truck was somewhere below 3" of lift.

To Top