1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inline Transmission Filters

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by memphis guy, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    memphis guy

memphis guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Michelin LTX M/S II 265/75-16 Tires (+1 sidewall height)
    I figured an inline transmission filter for our trucks wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for the 2nd Gen, since they don't have a dipstick or an actual filter, and drain intervals tend to be longer.

This company offers inline magnetic filters which also have a traditional pleated paper element.

A friend of mine recommended it and I thought I'd see what you guys think.

Installation is simple - you just mount it in the cooler/radiator output line. You do need to use one of those "wheel" pipe cutters.

Magnafine:

http://magnefinefilters.com/?gclid=CNPpuq2G7bICFQTnnAodWEwADg

2. Nov 23, 2012 at 3:42 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I have been looking into both Magnefine in-line filters and B&Ms remote filter as well. The therory behind both types of filters is sound. I found only one online mention of a filter affecting shifts and he may have had his Magnefine in backwards. My thoughts are that if company like B&M recommends a filter, I need to listen.

3. Nov 23, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors
    FWIW, I run a Magnafine in the Tacoma power steering, my wife and daughters Corrollas both have Magnafines in the transmission system.

Filtering the Tacoma transmission I run a remote filter setup with a TRD spin on oil filter, same as the engine oil.

I also no longer use the Toyota WS fluid for the transmission and now run Mobil 1 atf.

PK

4. Jan 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    anvilmanco

anvilmanco Active Member

Member:
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport -Stock
    The November, 2012 TRAILER LIFE magazine has a good article on the Transmission cooler line filters. Especially talks about the Magnefine.

Is their any current experience anyone cares to share about these and this subject?? I pull a 4000 lb trailer with my crap in it, and the Taco does a great job but this sounds like pretty cheap insurance, to me.

Thanks,

Keith

5. Jan 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    John D

John D Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny D.
    Lawrenceburg Tn.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner
    Fog lights on anytime.
    A lot of the people over on the Tundra forum use these! (Magnefine) I had a tundra befour and always had one on.

6. Jan 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Kenwood CD, MTX/Jensen amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Do you just install it in where the rubber line is?

7. Jan 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    John D

John D Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny D.
    Lawrenceburg Tn.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner
    Fog lights on anytime.
    I put mine on the passenger side firewall where the Trans. cooler lines come out of the radiator cooler .
    Put it on the return line to Trans.

8. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    Smardt Turbocor

Smardt Turbocor Older Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    Lexington South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 1/2 cab 4.6 Liter V-6 5 speed manual
    =======

I once worked in a transmission shop in Montreal Canada. The owner believed that an added, permanent transmission "filter" added unnecessary restriction to the flow of fluid.

He did use them but here is how.

After a major failure and overhaul, he would add one of these filters which contained powerful magnets to the outlet line returning to the automatic from the radiator.

All transmission lines, etc were flushed, but while they were testing the overhauled automatic, they temporarily added that filter, primarily to attract any ferrous metal leftover when the transmission self destructed. Remember just like AC repairs, the slightest trace of anything is a disaster. Ferrous metal sticks to the magnets inside. Valve bodies can stick, governors (not used any more) can stick. Modern flow solenoids can become fouled, neccesitating pulling the pan again to fix it.

The car would come back after being driven two weeks, and the filter was removed and thrown in the garbage. (All the dirt or metal that is going to move will move during that two weeks) It had done its job.

Cleanliness is the key word. Unless you are abusing stuff, clean stuff tends to stay clean.

To Top