1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Input on switching from BFG AT (E) to Duratrac (C)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fireroad, May 2, 2013.

1. May 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    fireroad

fireroad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    McCall, ID
    Looking for input on folks that run 265/75/R16s and made the switch from BFG Ats to Duratracs. I've been a long time user of BFG ATs and they are a fantastic tire. Over the last 12 years I've used just about every offroad tire on my 1/2 and 3/4 ton work trucks and I've settled on BFG AT due to their traction, reliability, and toughness. I work for the Forest Service so I put about 30k mi a year off road on those tires.

I ditched my stockers last week and ponied up for a set of the BFG ATs in 265/75/16. Way back when these were offered in a load range C, but now you can only get then in E. With the load range E and the 3 ply sidewall I expected them to be stiff...but these are unbearable! Extremely stiff both on and off road. I have played with the pressures and by the time I get them pliable enough they start to get squirely. A dcsb trd OR tacoma with a 300 lb camper shell is just way too light for these tires.

Since I've only had these for just over a week I'm going to hit up Discount tire on their "satisfaction guarantee" and see if they will swap them out for something in a load range D or lighter...preferable C. Not interested in a P rated tire, they just don't hold up to the sharp rocks and other nastiness found in the New Mexico desert and mountains. Looks like my best choice would be the Duratrac. I'm looking for input from those that have made the switch as to what I can expect. Softer ride? More road noise?

2. May 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    firestone destination AT comes in load range C and has been a damn good tire for me and gets good ratings on tirerack

3. May 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    bafogels

bafogels Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB SR5 4x4
    I made that switch with a different size tire. Definetly happy with the duratracs

4. May 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road

^This... Around 30k on my Destinations and a LOT of tread left...have not been disappointed in any shape or form with the tire...

5. May 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    Just a heads up, I've seen some complaints from TW members about the Duratrac's 'weak' sidewall. I run them in the C load and absolutely love them so far.

6. May 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    didnt see that, but ur def right..........Ive seen a few complaints about the sidewalls, good eye

7. May 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    i've had BFG A/Ts on my past two trucks (2000 tacoma and 2007 tundra) and made the switch to Duratracs on my current 2004 tacoma and could not be happier. Smooth riding and not too noisy on the highway. much superior performance in the snow/slush than the BFGs. i'm definitely sold on the duratracs!

8. May 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    fireroad

Member:
    McCall, ID
    I started with 40 psi cold and have slowly been moving down. Last cold fill was 36 and i will drop them down to 34 tomorrow morning and try them for a couple days before I make a decision. Most of what i have read saif 32 would be too low for this size and load range.

A load range C is a big difference from an E...On my previous truck I went from E down to D on the BFGs and the ride was night and day better.

9. May 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    fireroad

Member:
    McCall, ID
    Did you guys go from load E BFGs to C Duratracs? How was the ride on gravel roads? Did you feel the sidewalls were less stiff?

I stopped buy DT and they are willing to switch out tires... but they recommended against the Duratrac. Salesman and manger both said I would not see any improvement in ride comfort, likely a decrease in handling, and increase in noise. Their argument was that, while the Duratracs are a 2 ply sidewall, the sidewalls are kevlar making them just as stiff. They also said that while the tread was "6 ply rated" it's not actually 6 plys but 5 stronger, stiffer ones. If I go with the Duratracs and I am not happy it's too bad cuz I would be stuck with them.

10. May 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    Alexfiggy

Alexfiggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    Trd off road
    I run 33x10.5x15 bfg at at 27 to 29 psi . 265 70 r 16 factory psi is 28 to 29 it's onli a inch shorter than the tire you have now.

11. May 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Up until this week the last time I ran BFG ATs was on a 1980 F150. I dumped them after 5k and 3 flats. They were not good in Tx black gumbo. I put Duratrac Cs on my 2009 prerunner and really liked them. Discount mistakingly but a set of MTRs on when i was supposed to get Duratracs. Talk about a noisy tire. I ran the Duratracs through cactus, rocks, and mesquite on hunting ranch for 2 years with no problems. Picked up a new Baja this week and when the time comes for new tires it will be Duratracs. They are almost a mudder but much quieter and better ride.

12. May 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    DO ITTTTT!!!!!!
    I get my new duratracs tomorrow! :)

13. May 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    fireroad

Member:
    McCall, ID
    So can anyone confirm that going from the BFG E to the Duratrac C will result is a softer rider? Discount Tire says no, ride will be just as stiff, but would love to hear from someone who has tried it.

To complicate things, setting my current tire pressure is turning out to be difficult. During my 12 mi commute I experience 2,400 ft elevation change and 10-20 degree temp change so my tires will gain upwards of 5 psi by the time I make it down the mountain :(

14. May 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    NorCalTRD

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    For the Duratracs I heard 36 psi was about spot on.
    Try setting around 35psi when at home.
    Then it can rise to about 37ish at your work.

15. May 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    fireroad

Member:
    McCall, ID
    Don't have the Duratracs (yet) but if I were to set my BFGs at 35 at home they would be about 40 when I got to work.

16. May 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    NorCalTRD

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Thats not too hard to believe.
    Not only are you decreasing altitude, but your tires are going to warm up on the way down as well. So you may be comparing a cold reading to a warm one.
    Have you checked your psi before leaving work to come home for a cold reading?
    It would be good to know cold psi's at both locations.

17. May 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Wow. Seems completely logical that the ride would soften. I run BFG atko in 265 70 17 Load C. I like them. I would be very hesitant to run an E or even D. I find these plenty stiff on a Tacoma

18. May 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I went from C Duratracs same size to some old Nitto Terra Graps in E I had on stock steelies and ride is much stiffer and harsh. I loved the DTs for looks and performance all around but I felt like they never balanced properly after several attempts and were horrible on long trips where you wanted to converse. If radio on and solo, no problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top