1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Input Please - Did You Consider The Nissan Frontier?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] el tráfico más lento se queda derecha

Member:
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Supercharged 4x4 Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Hey guys,

I had an '09 Tacoma but due to a unique situation I'm going to be shopping again soon for a replacement truck.

I'm going to look at a '10 4x4 Sport this afternoon. But I also want to keep my options open and look at the Nissan Frontier too. The only problem is that I am finding very few in the online dealer inventories. I'd be interested in a 4x4 Pro4x 6-spd.

Did any of you seriously consider the Frontier before purchasing the Tacoma? What did you like/not like about the Frontier?

The test drive will tell all, but just on paper the Frontier looks like a better truck and better value. Its just a little on the ugly side (which is why I didn't consider it before). The looks are growing on me a little and I've had 2 problem free Nissans in a row so I think its worth another look.

2. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRDSport
    I had a Titan before my Tacoma and i liked it but i really like my Tacoma better. The Frontiers really didnt do it for me, i dont think the aftermarket support is there for the Frontier like it is for the Tacoma.

3. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours

Key words here.

4. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

If you are not going with a Taco, get an F150!

5. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    I looked into the frontier, but I thought It looked cheap at second glance. I Did not like the interior, and I looked at resale over time and miles and taco easily won. It may cost a bit more, but there is a reason for that. Plus, the tacoma just looks good!

6. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    The frontier was a bit too ugly for me. When you look at it from the front it looks like it is smiling at you (creepy).

I also thought the tacoma had more features that I wanted, and would have had to add to the frontier later, i.e. a lined bed (I know it IS the bed in the taco), bed rails, backup camera.

It also seems like the Tacoma is bigger (not sure if that's actually the case or it's an optical illusion).

The only thing that was available on the Frontiers that I really wanted was leather seats.

7. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    same for me.

8. Dec 24, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    I really looked at it in 07 when I bought my 08. The interior killed it for me, along with the looks on the outside. The thing looked great on paper until you actually saw it. It did not drive that bad though. When I got the '10 earlier this year, I did not even consider it. I did consider though the F150. Only because I plan on getting a boat sometime in the next few years. But while I like the looks, I could not get past the Ford brand. I'm sure the Taco will be able to pull the small 21-23' boat that I would buy. I mean, its just bringing it down to the docks in spring, back home in October. WIth maybe one of two take outs in between to hit up lake george. Not enough towing to justify the full size for my DD.

9. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    roy826

roy826 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    Nope!! Toyota all the way for the past 10 years and on my 3rd Yota truck.;)

Had a friend who went through two Nissans and he hated them both. FWIW they build the Titan 5 miles up the road from where I work. You do see alot of Titans around here localy. I feel sorry for them since the thing will be discontinued soon.:D

10. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Never really considered any other truck besides a Toyota. The Tundra did pass my mind a few times. I almost got the FJ Trail Teams cruiser but then saw the white TRD Sport on the lot and fell in love. Considered bed space and the mileage were pretty equal so I went with the Tacoma.

11. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] el tráfico más lento se queda derecha

Member:
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Supercharged 4x4 Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Whoa...I didn't know the Titan was getting axed. Will it be replaced?

I really don't need a F150 and I'm not really interested in domestic makes. I drive GMC/Chevrolet all day at work and don't really have any interest in owning one personally. And I still have that stigma against domestic vehicles, especially with all the bailing out they've needed lately. I would consider a domestic if I was in the market for superduty size truck but I don't need anything like that.

rmd, I do distinctly remember the Frontier looking much worse in person than on all the pictures on the internet as well.

The one cool thing about the extended cab Frontier is that its rear seats fold away somehow so the floor of the cab is flat. The Tacoma has those irritating storage bins that make a shelf when you fold up the rear seats. My tool boxes were set up so one set on the shelf and the other on the floor, but it would be easier if the whole area was flat.

12. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    kinglj

kinglj Member

Member:
    Wa.
    Vehicle:
    blk taco
    2.5 lift on toyo 275/70r18 M/T's, tinted windows, aftermarket grill, hood scoop, undercover bed cover and westin nerf/running boards
    My father inlaw bought a 2010 Frontier I went with him when he bought it - I didnt like the way I felt behind the wheel - Im 6'4" - my taco has way more room, the Nissan has more power - we test drove a 4x4Pro extended cab which I thought was not to bad looking but for me the Tacoma was the one.

13. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    5100's all on fours
    I heard they were going to rebadge Rams as Titans once. I don't know how true that is though.

14. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:21 AM
    roy826

roy826 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    Word is there is not a future for the truck if the Chrysler deal to make it in Mexico falls through. Last I read that was not a inked deal. The Titan sales are way down. I don't expect it to be around much longer. The plant here that makes them is gearing toward commercial vans.

15. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I did consider the Nissan Frontier......TO POOP ON!!!!!

16. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    gptoy

gptoy 09 TRD Sport

Member:
    Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    265/70 Duratracs
    I heard that too, but that was before the bailout mess, haven't heard anything recent if that's still going to happen or things have changed.

17. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    5100's all on fours
    Now that you mention it, it was a while ago.

18. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I test drove a 2009 Frontier with the Off Road package last spring because my Tacoma was giving me LOTS of grief and I wasn't pleased with it anymore. There were several things that I liked about the Frontier, but it did seem a little smaller - especially in the rear seating area where I like to store allot of things since I don't have any kids/buds to ride back there, but the dog rides there often. HP ratings were higher on the Frontier but I really didn't see much of a difference while test driving it. I researched a few online forums and did notice a few issues at the time but don't recall at the moment what they were.

The nearest Nissan dealership is approximately 500 miles away so then there is also the warranty/dealer support aspect of it. The salesman indicated that I could have the work diagnosed and performed at a local independent shop of my choice and they would reimburse the garage upon completion. This sounded great because my father in law owns an independent shop and I do all my own work. Theoretically I could get paid while wrenching warranty work on my truck - which sounded good. While probing further however my FIL indicated they had done Nissan warranty work in the past and always had trouble getting them to cough up the money when payment time came around, so that kinda discouraged me as well.

In spite of the above I may have pulled the trigger but indications of a Global recession were looming and I started to feel the pinch at work. At the same time I was getting prepared to build a detached garage on the property so I decided to tough it out with my Tacoma and ride out the remaining interval on my extended bumper to bumper warranty. That said, my warranty is currently almost up and things have gotten worse at work - so I don't see a new truck in the near future either.:(

The truck is pretty much paid off so I'll probably keep it until things get better at work (doubtful) or I make a career change (more likely). I don't dislike the truck at all, but have had allot of warranty issues with it and have had a rough time getting them fixed at the local dealer (multiple, multiple visits for the same issue). Not due to their Automotive Technicians not being knowledgeable about their product, but a lack of communication between the service advisers and the techs out back. Lately I just leave a handwritten note in the truck for the Tech and everything has been going fine. 99% of the time I have the problem diagnosed before it enters the shop, but the service adviser never believes me and doesn't write the true problem on the work order.

19. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I'm a big Nissan fan from way back... owned several and had GREAT luck with all of them... but after Renault basically bought them back in '99, quality went down and recalls & TSB's went up. I think they've improved recently, but I still don't trust them. Then again... I'm not completely thrilled with Toyota recently either (we currently own an '07 Camry and an '09 Tacoma).

20. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I like the nissan but as long as they make Tacomas I would always consider the tacoma. This weekend at cleghorn also changed my mine when a stock nissan had problems where stock tacomas went through. I am sure it was the driver but we were behind these guys on the trail and it was slow moving...

To Top