1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

INSTALL: Steering Wheel Interface 2006 Taco 4d 4wd JBL ( SWI-JACK )

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by acozzens, Apr 28, 2009.

1. May 19, 2009 at 1:25 AM
    acozzens

acozzens [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    Guy...
    that's a weird issue...
    Keep playing around, try to pgm backwards.

However...
    Bottom line is that you shouldn't have to. make sure you double check the pgm instructions to ensure your process is right. Experiment, because you can pretty easily re-pgm. i did that many times to see if I could get trk up / down ( which I couldn't on the jvc deck).

It's hard for me to fully troubleshoot, because I actually had no problems. Not sure if it's a user error, or wiring, bad luck ?? After I figured out WTF I was doing to pgm, it went completely as expected. One knee-jerk thought is that you wired something backwards ? I don't know if this is a feasible scenario though, maybe you swapped the whites or something ?? Like I said, you shouldn't have to get tricky, so *something is up*.. . as usual, double check double check wiring, and instructions ! ( then learn and teach :) )

It sure sounds like you're close, thanks for the feedback on the thread. i was happy to post this after my own install and hrs of searching for similar.

Cuz

2. May 19, 2009 at 1:41 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    i had that problem, make sure the its not plugged into your HU when programming (thats what PAC told me)and if your sure you programmed it correctly just fully reinstall your HU and it should work.
    well thats how mine worked out

3. May 19, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Sometimes getting away from a problem for a while and approaching it with a clear mind works best.

Another option is to have someone help you, or at least watch you as the install/programing is done. Another set of eyes & ears may catch the problem.

4. Sep 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I did this for my AVIC-F700BT, and it works wonderfully! I did it before this write-up, but that is exactly how I did it. Great write-up!!! :thumbsup:

5. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    Laban

Laban Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road
    Hey, I just had a question about the install of the swi-jack on my 08 tacoma, with a JVC HU.

The manufacturer's website says to use a 560 ohm resister, but you are using a 150 ohm. Does it not work with a 560? or how did you know to use the 150?

I've tried both resisters and haven't been able to get my swi-jack programed. I get the version 8 thing working fine, but when I go to program it, the light stays on for about 5 seconds, and then stays off. Even when I hold down the volume up button on my steering wheel, then let go as per the instructions.

I know I have all the wiring correct, I doubled checked it multiple times, and reread the original post in this thread and also the manufacturer's website instructions.

Just got my tacoma about a week ago, and am a 1st time poster, thanks in advance for any help.

6. Nov 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    patrickockander

patrickockander Say What?

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    TACOMA TRD Offroad version 4x4
    Supercharged, Hood Lift-struts, Borlas, 2-tone Leather, Husky Liners, 16" Completely rewired audio system, Components front/rear, Dbl Limo Tint, 2-din JVC KWNX7000BT (DVD+GPS), TRD CAI, disabled seatbelt alarm, E3 Plugs, Halo Headlights, Tuck-in style Rain guards, dealer sticker removed, Step rail,
  7. Feb 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    sagebum

sagebum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Elk Grove (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD OR white
    I noticed you have the JBL system, and in one of the pictures theres that black box behind your head unit. Is that some sort of interface for use with the JBL amp?

I just recently did a SWI-PS with a Pioneer 710bt and was able to program it fine for track up and down. Maybe it was something to do with being JVC or what the other user mentioned about having it unplugged, for you.

8. Feb 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    This has been a great resource. I used this numerous times as reference when installing my swijack. The most helpful thing was the wire color section. This made finding the right pin connection super easy.
    Thanks for a great write-up!

9. Mar 31, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Hmm, the swijack says theres a answer call button. I have a kenwood dnx6960, is that programmable?

10. Mar 31, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    sagebum

sagebum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Elk Grove (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD OR white
    I don't doubt the ability to program that functionality, but I've heard of some members not getting some other buttons to work, i think it was the seek they couldn't get to work.
    So you could probably program it, but whether it will work or not will probably depend.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more definitive answer. I don't have a kenwood nor a swi-jack. I've got a pioneer and a swi-ps so it may be different.

11. May 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    Question taken from http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...th-steering-wheel-controls-3.html#post1782276

No, all of the options above can not be programmed to the same two buttons below the volume controls.
    No, the source and band options can not both be programmed to the mode button.

Essentially you can only program one function to one button on the steering wheel. However, any button on the steering wheel can be programmed to any function. For example, the + button could be programmed for VOL UP, but the - could be programmed for SOURCE.

12. Jun 5, 2010 at 1:02 AM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    Now how did you get two white wires. On the harness, there's only one white. :confused::confused:

13. Jun 20, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    shanomac

shanomac Senior Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    m_yota,

The two white wires are to be added by the installer. Because the wires on the interface are so long, I cut away about 10 inches off the interface wire and then cut in half. There's your two extra white wires! Both added white wires will connect to the white wire on the interface (a one-into-two setup, make sense?) Steps as follows:
    1. On one of the added white wires is where you connect the resistor in the middle, then connect to pin 8 of the factory connector.
    2. The other added white wire will be connected to pin 7 of the factory connector.
    3. Then you will connect the black wire from the interface to the HU's ground (black) wire.
    4. Then you add another wire that will connect pin 6 on the factory connector to the same ground (black) wire in the previous step.
    5. Last you will connect the red wire from the interface to the HU's red wire (switchable power).
    NOTE: Do not hook up the 1.5mm jack/blue&yellow wire from the interface to the HU until after you have programmed it.
    6. Once programming is complete, connect 1.5mm jack or blue/yellow wire (depending on HU).

That's it- you're done. Stuff that thing back inside and crank the volume (from the steering wheel of course!). PM me if you have any more questions. It's a little tricky to program, but a little perseverance will get it done. Good luck!

Shano

EDIT: I didn't solder the resistor in, as I didn't have a soldering gun. I used two butt-end connectors with the extra plastic cut away, heat shrinked it and it worked perfect.

14. Jun 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    l_prettyman

l_prettyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Offroad
    i did this as soon as i got my head unit christmas 09, and it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be

15. Jun 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    Amos

Amos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC sport
    The only button I can get to program is the Mode button... The volume and track buttons don't seem to be sending any signals. Anyone have any insight into what could be causing this? I have a Clarion HU and have it set properly and the vehicle code is properly set to 8. I got a voltmeter on the wires and they have a constant 6 volts that drops to zero when the mode button is pressed.

16. Jun 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock

You didn't give much info, so I'll go default and say it is normally "human error". Here are my quick thoughts

1. obvious test--> this device has a "slight delay" when pressing the buttons. are you "pressing and holding" the volume +- ? a quick-press and release isn't the way, I guess due to some type of "signal delay" or a possible flux in the time continuum of the matrix blaupunkt.

Break it down to simple...
    either something is wired wrong, or you may be programming it wrong... I've seen both since my original post on this topic.

Start with just 1 button. make it work, and "skip" the rest using the directions provided..

I literally practiced the programming, cause I would just slightly be wrong with each step. Plus, I was doing some testing :) ... start with just 1 button. Then reset, and do 2 buttons... test. wash-rinse-repeat.
    If you've done this, then x2 check wiring, and settings from the manual to the swijack.

It's worth it. I use my steering wheel controls all the time.

17. Jun 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    Amos

Amos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC sport
    I will have to double check the wires when I get time, it has got to be a wiring issue because I can't program it if they aren't receiving a signal from the buttons. I just thought it was odd that only one button would work. When I press the other 4 to program the red light never goes off, even when I hold them for several seconds.

Does anyone know what the 3 wires in the harness are for that are in pins 6,7,8? Do they go to different buttons or do all button commands come across one wire from the wheel?

18. Jun 30, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    Amos

Amos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DC sport
    I got it working last night. The problem was a bad connection in the purple/white wire (pin 7). So I guess that wire is the volume and track buttons and one of the other wires is the Mode button. The programming was quick and easy.

I mounted mine behind the change drawer on the right side of the steering wheel. It was easier to pop it out than the glove box in my opinion.

Thanks for the write up and the help!

19. Jul 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Well done Amos.
    And helped validate the #1 troubleshoot rule.. "double check wiring"

nice work, hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    You are now swi-jack certified !

20. Aug 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    OK so I just finished installing my new Pioneer AVIC X 910BT in my 2010 dc trd sport. It works great, but I cant get my SWI-PS to work. I DID NOT have the JBL system, so I used a 150 ohm resistor as that seemed to be what the instructions called for. When I tried programming the PAC SWI-PS it does not work right. I know I wired everything correctly, except for one possible thing, but I'd like a little advice before I tear everything out again.. Instead of tapping my red wire from the SWI to the red wire from the head unit, I tapped it to a yellow wire from the head unit because it said constant 12+ and I figured that was what I wanted. I forget exactly what the red wire said on it, but I'm pretty sure this may be my problem?

Can anyone confirm if that is all that I should have to do? cut the red wire where its tapped to the yellow, and tap the red to the red on the HU?

Products Discussed in

To Top