1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed Fog Lights in basic 2012 Tacoma with No Fog Light Switch?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ahand59, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Feb 5, 2023 at 4:38 PM
    Ahand59

Ahand59 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4L v6
    Tires/rims
    I am installing Raxiom Axial Series LED Fog Lights with DRL in my 2012 Toyota Tacoma Access cab with 4.0l V6. This is the basic package. It came with no fog lights or fog light switch, which have seen came on others like the SR5 and TRD packages. How to I get these lights to work without those switches?

I have removed the black plastic "hole filler" where the lights go and installed the 2 fog lights I have started wiring them. I have 2 wires left to deal with. One (a yellow wire) needs to connect to low beam wire of the headlights. The other (red with fuse) needs connect to key switch/accessory. I think I can splice the Yellow wire to the left side headlight wires.

My main question is what wire do I splice in the fuse box to get accessory/key on power?

Thank you for any information...

2. Feb 6, 2023 at 11:56 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, get some local help. It is pretty simple, but without seeing your foglight setup and how you are taping into your low beams and your switches, you should get some help. If those lights/harness it came with do not have a switch, it sounds like those are meant only for replace of existing fog lights that are already wired for the existing switch. And if you are tapping into your Tacoma's wiring or harnesses and mess up you can disable your whole truck, so be careful. Most auxiliary lights either use existing fog light wiring or are independent and use their own harness on a add-a-circuit.
    If you plan on using those fog lights you will probably need a wiring harness with a switch, similar to what you would use for a light bar or off road lights.

for my additional lights, I have used the following fuses (inside fuse panel)

Tail 10A
    IGN No.2 10A
    Wip 30A

YOu have options on your engine fuse box, but that cover fits real tight and hard to run a wire under it without drilling.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/add-a-circuit-question.431570/

Post some photos and a link to exactly what you bought and we might be able to help you out.

Too Stroked likes this.
  3. Feb 6, 2023 at 7:22 PM
    Ahand59

Ahand59 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4L v6
    Tires/rims
    This fog light set (Raxiom Axial Series LED Fog Lights with DRL) has a wire harness that has 2 connectors that plug into the fog light sockets.

You know, describing the entire wiring setup is mostly meaningless. The instructions are nearly meaningless, but basically say remove old headlights, put new ones in, connect the wires to the new harness and the DRL modules, then connect the YELLOW and RED wires and you're done. Cutting to the precise problem. My truck is a basic model that does not have the full fog light wiring in place. It has the actual cable and plug for the actual foglight itself, but from what I can tell the relay is not in place and the switch on the dash are not present. The DRL module basically turns on shortly after the ignition is turned on and turns the foglights off when the lights are actually turned on.

This entire harness ends in 2 wires that need to be connected.

There is a YELLOW wire that needs to connect to the low beam of the headlights. I have spliced into the low beam wire on the driver side front headlight, so this wire is solved.

There is a RED wire with a fuse box on the wire. This RED wire needs connected to the ignition circuit. I want to connect this somewhere around the fuse box in engine bay and not run wires underneath the dash. Where is a convenient ignition wire for a basic model 2012 Toyota Tacoma, that is in the front of the vehicle?

4. Feb 7, 2023 at 5:00 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars

Products Discussed in

To Top