1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed LED dome lights & map lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RPain, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    oneshot808

oneshot808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R 4x4 GH05T
    Wet Okoles/Weather tech all around, LED's +HIDS, 6"Fabtech w/ Fox front & rear
    so i received the 48 led white today in the mail. took me about 10 mins to install because i took out the whole assembly...:facepalm: but once i figured it out it was quick. gave it a test run and it didn't light up at first...but I figured I just had to switch the +/- around and it lit me up and blinded me lol.:D:rofl: thanks for the write up it was super easy TW!!

pics to come soon.

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Yah bra, I did the same thing

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    r4e

r4e Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Any fix for this?

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
  5. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    r4e

r4e Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    That's interesting cuz I just brought theses

http://www.oznium.com/led-domelight

They're Super bright but only when ignition on AC or when map lights are turned on......go figure!

It doesn't seem to be practical.:mad:

6. Oct 4, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    RPain

RPain [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    I haven't found a fix to the dim dome and maps while truck is off.

7. Oct 6, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I bought the 4410-x9 LED Festoon bulb in Cool White (4410-CW9) months ago, but it's always been very dim and irked me (map and license plate still awesome). I'm about to pull the trigger on the UAL-x12 Universal PCB LED assembly in Cool White to replace it.

8. Oct 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Well, you do have a different year. The wiring is probably a bit different.

You might want to hook a volt meter up to the socket and see if your getting a significant voltage drop when the truck is off.

If that is the case, I think the only way to fix this would be to find someplace else in the system with constant power that doesn't drop like that you can tap into. Then disconnect the dome light power and connect it to that source. Unless, of course, you can find the relay that is cutting in the resistor causing the voltage drop and bypass / remove it. This may not be a good idea though, you can easily get into the whole unintended consequences thing.

From a design point of view, I don't really see the point in dropping the power available to the lights with the engine off.

9. Nov 11, 2010 at 1:50 AM
    soccerkidbs

soccerkidbs Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 D\C Prerunner SR5 TRD
    6000k HID Head light kit, K&N CAI, 2" revtek lift, LED map lights
    Just did the map light mod and found out that when I turn on the dome light (non led) the map lights will work fine with the key out but when I turn off the dome light the map lights (led's) go dim. I also found out the same thing with led blinkers that i just installed I only did my one blinker and when it is on by its self it hyper blinks but when I put on the hazards and both blinkers are working the led does not hyper blink. I am going to get some load resistors and see if this fixes the blinkers and maybe play with a way to fix the map lights. I hope that all made sense I have had a few drinks and it is 2 in the morning. I love late night electrical on the truck.

10. Nov 11, 2010 at 1:56 AM
    RPain

RPain [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Link to build in sig
    haha be safe with that. let us know how it goes

11. Nov 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    WhyNotFab

WhyNotFab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Off Road
    My dome is dim/pointless when key is off.. no use for this $15 bulb now lol. the point of the dome on when door open is so you can get in/see to put key in the ignition..

12. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    What exactly did you get?

13. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    WhyNotFab

WhyNotFab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Off Road
    The 20 LED thing , same one they sell at AutoZone for $20 I got it off Ebay for $10 shipped.. looks just like the ones SuperBrightLEDs sells also.. I love how bright it is, but pointless if it only works with key on. :(

ALso just put WLED-Xs in my tag lights.. and WLED-X5s in my corner lights (they match my 6000k HIDs pretty well..especially compared to Sylvania blue bulbs..) waiting for it to get dark to really check them out though, and see if I should order x5s for the tag lights, and wondering if I should get LEDs for the reverse lights as well..

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Dec 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only guy dealing with this 1st Gen LED problem.

I know what the problem is I just haven't found a good enough solution. The LED's don't draw enough current for the light to turn on without the truck on. I have read a lot of different things to resolve this problem.

1. Run a small halogen bulb in series with the LED's and paint the bulb balck with high temp paint.

2. Run a 60 to 200Ohm resistor across the contacts of the dome light.
    60ohm will add 200milliamps= .2A ans 100 will give only 120milliamps = .12A

I think i'm going to try option 2 and if it don't work I will get a small bulb like a 194 wire it up to the dome lights and hide it in the rear view mirror housing painted black.

Edit:

Ive been doing some more searching and found the specs for are dome light bulbs.
    So the thing we need to do is get the LED to draw 0.77amp

Part Number: DE3175LL
    Weight: 0.052 lbs
    Type: Mini Bulb Type
    Category: 13 Volts
    Amperage Draw: 0.77
    Attachment Method: Manually
    Bulb Call-Out Size: DE3175
    Bulb Technology: Incandescent
    Bulb Type: Incandescent
    Bulb Voltage: 13
    Bulb Wattage: 10.01
    Color/Finish: Glass
    Exterior Lighting Type: Driving
    Filament Configuration: C-8
    Light Color: Clear
    Lighting Lens Material: Glass
    Lumens: 120
    Operating Voltage: 13
    Package Contents: 2 Replacement Bulbs
    Rated Life (Hours): 920
    Vehicle System Voltage: 12V

15. Jan 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    I don't think it is a power or current problem. It is a voltage problem. LED's use very little power/current but they shut off if the voltage drops too low. The replacement LED's with a PCB should work since they include a resistor or voltage regulator that controls the voltage.

16. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
  17. Mar 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    you want to get the ones with 5050 LED. Each LED is 3x brighter than the 3528 version, so don't just go by the LED count.

I just got a 12smd 5050 LED for $1.10 on ebay auction.

18. Mar 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
  19. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    Hey its a resistance issue. for 01-04 models. The 03 model is a little different than 01,02, and 04 but all of them have a similar issue. Adding resisters to the dome and maps or buying mine already done will fix this issue. Again this is a 1st gen issue, not 2nd gen, and its because of the circuit trying to read resistance when there is not enough to read.

Hit me up if you want some that are super bright and don't have these issues.

20. Mar 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    ^^Bumpage for this Guy^^...Chris knows his stuff when it comes to lights, circuitry, and troubleshooting....You won't find customer support like this on E-Bay I can promise....

Products Discussed in

To Top