1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rhoppas, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Feb 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The PA12 is still overkill for your application unless you are thinking about getting an Apple IPOD in the future. Just becasue something has been discontinued doesn't mean that
    A. There are not still some left in the pipeline, and
    B. That it is still the best tool for the job.

Here are some places where the DF toy is still available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USA-SPEC-DF-TOY-TOYOTA-COROLLA-CAMRY-SCION-Aux-IPOD-MP3_W0QQitemZ280203000408QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280203000408

http://www.amazon.com/USPDFTOY-Auxiliary-Input-Interface-Toyota/dp/B000UQ42IA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1204038525&sr=8-14

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 26, 2008 at 6:46 AM
    chris L

chris L Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 taco dbl cab , debadged 4x4 trd off road
    grom makes a unit I just installed . $79.99
    it plugs into the spare port on the back of the stock non jbl hu . it works from your steering wheel and radio controls . it doesnt have an aux port and you need to see your ipod to see what is playing and to turn it off . I bought a bracket from crutchfield to mount it on the dash near the climate controls .

I like it for the price all though I just installed in Friday in a snow storm .

3. Feb 26, 2008 at 11:35 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Loweezy is right on. Get yourself a Metra and be done with it in less than an hour. They work great. The only device I am aware of that works with the steering wheel controls is an Ipod. Non-Ipod devices just hookup through the headphone jack so they are never going to be controllable from your steering wheel.

4. Mar 1, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    MIKBERN

MIKBERN Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACCESS CAB
    Ok, I took the advice of some of the tacoma owners and Installed the Axxess ipod auxiliary input from circuit city. The price was $50.00 and worth every penny of it! It was so easy, I have 2008 sport trd with 6 disc cd changer. You plug in the adaptor to a extra port on the back of the radio, they match perfectly! I ran the wire from the radio to the left side of my glove box. You control all functions of the ipod through the ipod except the sound, The ipod volume works from the radio knob or the steering wheel control. For 50.00 dollars i now have a ipod in my truck with no FM crap! The 6 disc changer still works and to play your ipod you press the disc button twice, once for the changer and twice for the ipod, it will say CD or CD1 for the ipod. Here is the link for the removal of the radio http://homepage.mac.com/ebones/PhotoAlbum13.html
    If you want your ipod in your truck, Get off your butt and go get one!
    Rock On!

5. Mar 2, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    skierpunk

skierpunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Off Road.
    TRD mats and seat covers, smoked tail lights, smoked turn signal corners, Revtek lift, Access LE tonnaeu, HIDs, grillcraft mesh grill, TRD CAI, custom bike racks, Alpine system.
  6. Mar 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM
    MIKBERN

MIKBERN Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACCESS CAB
  7. Mar 25, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    miketyler

miketyler Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought the TYIP-01 and it doesn't work in my 2007 Tacoma with 6CD changer. If anyone can use it, will sell for the $16 I have in it. Apparently works with most 03-04 Toyota radios.

EDIT - see my update further down. The TYIP-01 DOES work in an 07 Taco with facotry 6Disc, non JBL changer.

8. Apr 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    and1ev

and1ev New Member

Member:
    Central Coast, Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD
    Does the metra adapter work with the JBL system in the 2008 Prerunner?

9. Apr 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Yes it does...

10. Apr 11, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Congrats gm3bow. For a non-ipod mp3 player, you can't beat the price and ease of installation. NO ONE should be using an FM transmitter.

11. Apr 11, 2008 at 10:13 AM
    miketyler

miketyler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, I was wrong. I bought the 5.99 one from an Amazon seller. They sent me the kit nearly two weeks later and shorted me the main T harness. While I was waiting on the missing harness I called Axxess to ck compatibility since it said it was for 2004 and up Taco radios. Their support guy clearly had an agenda to sell me the newer model insisting that the TYIP-01 would not work with ANY of the 2007 model radios. He went on to say that the additional audio-in for SAT radios or other MP3 players was never enabled (looks identical to an S-video plug). I'd be willing to bet it will work as well.

The TYP-01 will work with 07 radios (non JBL). You do NOT lose any changer functionality and plugs inline so that you can add a second factory changer later.

Bottom line: If you have an 05 and up Taco with stock or 6CD changer (again, non JBL) and you want Ipod functionality, the TYP-01 although no longer produced works fine and you may get them as cheap as $5.99+ship. Thanks to MIKBERN for posting the Amazon link.

12. May 2, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    roonie287

roonie287 Member

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD OR
    I got mine all hooked up....and nothing. No sound the ststem functions the same it did before. Any ideas? The Metra unit has a very dim red power light that I'm pretty sure is on. I have tried the Ipod connection and the aux.

2008 Non-JBL with a 6 disc.

13. May 2, 2008 at 7:15 PM
    MIKBERN

MIKBERN Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACCESS CAB
    I DON'T WHICH ONE YOU BOUGHT! THE ONE I HAVE IN MY 08 IS
    MET AIPTY02ID Metra iPod Toyota Adapter FROM CIRCUIT CITY.

14. May 2, 2008 at 8:29 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hear about that roonie. Mikbern is right, did you get the AIPTY02ID model? It should work fine...

15. May 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    roonie287

roonie287 Member

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD OR
    Yep, thats the one i got. I'll call tech support tomorrow I guess. I hate tech support.

16. May 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM
    roonie287

roonie287 Member

Member:
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD OR

Maybe you know something I don't or the 2007 stereo is different from the 2008. I have a 2008 non-JBL 6 disc in-dash and it doesn't work, tech support says it won't work and they don't have anything that will work. It all hooks up like it should, nice clean install, but there is not actual connection between the plug in the stereo and the internal controls.

So here's what I did instead. My Sirius came with an FM broad cast antenna that you are supposed to stick to you window, but that would look like crap. I used the hardwire fm adapter (the one that just cuts of the antenna when you power up your Sirius) and used electrical tap to attach the broadcast antenna directly to the antenna wire btw the head and fm cut off box. I used to get awful static, but it got better with the hardwire fm adapter. Now with this set up it's fantastic! No static, super clean install.

17. May 3, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    I don't understand that. I was always under the impression that the radios were the same between 05 and 08. I have an 07 with the non-JBL 6 disc in-dash and the Metra you have works great. Strange... :confused:

18. May 3, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    MIKBERN

MIKBERN Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACCESS CAB
    Me Too! 05 Thru 08 Non Jbl Are The Same. And Mine Works Great! He Must Be Hooking It Up Wrong.

19. May 3, 2008 at 9:52 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Or he received a bad unit...

20. May 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    You have to press the "Disc" button twice. The first press takes you to the CD player, the second press activates the Metra input. It does not matter what CD disc is selected.

Products Discussed in

To Top