1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rhoppas, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Jul 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    sammy-e

sammy-e Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info, looks like I just need to exchange it.

2. Aug 2, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I installed a Metra this morning... It's great! I ran the cord to the little cubby next to the driver's right knee. The cord is long enough for the driver or the passenger to play with the iPod, and the sound quality is much better than I expected.

3. Aug 2, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Congrats mws4ua! I'm glad to see you pulled the trigger and got one installed.

4. Aug 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    rooster_20

rooster_20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harlan, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Regular Cab SR5
    Revtek 3'' Lift,
    Hey everyone I was reading through the threads searching for some info. I didn't read anything specific for my application so I figured you all could help. I have a non JBL single disk radio and a Zune Mp3 player. I want to be able to charge it and play it through my stereo. I don't care about controlling it on the head unit or anything. Any advise on product choice?

5. Aug 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Unfortunately I am not aware of any aux input device that specifically supports the Zune's connector. Most any of these devices can work with the Zune by plugging it into the Zune's headphone jack. However getting it charged is going to be an issue.

6. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    If it helps you out... if you buy it and have it sent to me.. I could mail it to you if you pay shipping...

let me know if i can help and we can work out the details..

7. Aug 4, 2008 at 9:53 PM
    MikeS.

MikeS. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    Let me see if I've got this right.

Buy an adapter, Metra or usa-spec iPod.
    Tear into your dash per 007's sticky.
    You have to remove the HU to get to the back?
    The stock HU has a place to plug the adapter into?
    Put everything back.

That about it?

8. Aug 5, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    rooster_20

Member:
    Harlan, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Revtek 3'' Lift,
    Well I know fm transmitters arent the nicest rout but I found a charger and fm transmitter at the wally world for 70 bucks should I just get it? Or do they make a usb adaptor that I could plug in the Zune adaptor to wouldnt that charge it and enable me to play it? like this? http://www.xcarlink.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=73

9. Aug 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Buy an adapter, Metra or usa-spec iPod. Yes
    Tear into your dash per 007's sticky. Yes
    You have to remove the HU to get to the back? Yes
    The stock HU has a place to plug the adapter into? Yes
    Put everything back. Yes
    That about it? Yes

10. Aug 5, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    I don't know if that would work or not. I have no direct Zune experience. Sounds like it might be possible though. Maybe you should call the vendor and ask them. Let us know how it works if you try it.

That is a sweet alternative device you found on the web though. A bit pricey but it sure would be easy to transport your music on a flash drive for someone who does not already own an mp3 player of some sort.

11. Aug 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM
    JC870

JC870 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Longbed
    Blitz Safe aux. audio input
    Sorry if I missed the post about this, but I'm wanting to find out about installing an auxillary input adapter using my factory radio. My radio does not have the in-dash cd changer; just the cd player. And I'm thinking about using the BlitzSafe adapter http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003...ryZ38636QQihZ004QQitemZ140252385176QQtcZphoto

Anyone have experience using these? I'm hoping this works well and has a reasonable amount of volume output.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Aug 5, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    That's the first I've heard of the Blitz. It says it should work on 03-07 Tacomas. Let us know how it works if you get it.

FYI..The Metra should also work in your vehicle...

13. Aug 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Rooster 20 . did you buy that USB adaptor from Xcarlink? I have some old 1 or 2 G USB drive kick around. this is what I looking for.

14. Aug 6, 2008 at 3:24 PM
    rooster_20

Member:
    Harlan, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Revtek 3'' Lift,
    No I found some zune chargers online for dirt cheap and I am just going to get one of those and a metra sorry...

15. Aug 6, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    wing103

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    I Just send a e-amil to the manufacture asking the info for hat item, if it fit the Tacoma, I will buy it and post the result here..

16. Aug 6, 2008 at 4:05 PM
    rooster_20

Member:
    Harlan, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Revtek 3'' Lift,
    Found some cool ones at soundgate and I emailed them about it charges and playes through input I requested some info and will let you all know.

17. Aug 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM
    wing103

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
  18. Aug 8, 2008 at 2:09 PM
    tylerp

tylerp New Member

Member:
    I've been reading over the post about the metra you can buy for the Tacoma's. I haven't had my truck for long, and quite frankly I'm clueless as to how to go about getting behind the radio. Does the radio actually have to be taken out, or is there a way to get in behind it? Is there a website with this info, or maybe it's simple enough for someone to just tell me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

19. Aug 8, 2008 at 3:27 PM
    rooster_20

Member:
    Harlan, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Revtek 3'' Lift,
    I would make sure the two ends of the cable are plugged in all the way. I know it sounds dumb but I actually thought my mp3 player was messed up until I noticed this problem lol..

20. Aug 9, 2008 at 6:13 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you have to take out the radio, but it is very easy to do. There is a sticky at the top of the Audio forum, by 007Tacoma, that details how to remove the radio. Good luck...

Products Discussed in

To Top