1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed the K&N 71 Blackhawk series today

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Zachman1750, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Jun 28, 2017 at 10:42 PM
    Zachman1750

Zachman1750 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Blue
    Hey all,

I know the general opinion on intakes here, but wanted to throw down a quick review of the K&N 71 Blackhawk series intake I threw on my 17 TRD sport today.

Firstly, they've got a Dyno sheet of a 16 Tacoma included with the kit showing a HP and TQ increase of about 15 for each. They were performed on the same day a few hours apart on the same truck. The post-intake Dyno even had ambient temps more than 15 degrees F warmer. They've also guaranteed a HP increase with this intake.

That being said, I know that +15 on each is probably a stretch, so here's my first impressions so far:

1.) It's extremely noisy. This intake is incredibly loud, in my opinion, especially starting at about 3500 RPMs. If you are looking for a bit more noise, this is not for you. If you are looking for your truck to sound like a monster, this may be the one you're looking for. The deep whoosh almost rattles my cabin around 4k rpms.

2.) Throttle response seems better. The truck just seems a bit more responsive. Could be a placebo or just the noise making me hear the truck's response better, but to me it just seems to respond a bit better.

3.) To me, I can feel a power increase. Even if there isn't one and it's all in my head, the truck is a lot of fun to drive around with this intake installed.

4.) MPGs- going to give this one a few more drives before I evaluate.

A question: I live in Colorado over a mile high. I know there's less oxygen up here and our engines struggle a lot more (NA engines specifically), and will typically not put out their stated power numbers without forced induction. I don't know a whole lot about cars, but is there a chance that an intake with more flow is more beneficial at altitude? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. Jun 30, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    I got rid of my K&N on my '15 because of the damn noise. It got old.

So, so much nicer to drive. I can hear my exhaust now instead of the intake.

Plus I got a snorkel instead.

3. Jun 30, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    You would have to basically dump a bag of cement into the intake to get the filter dirty enough to cause air flow issues.

Well, that's a slight exaggeration, regardless, the truck gets plenty of air flow even with a dirty filter, so it's unlikely to help.

Any increased airflow will come at the cost of more contaminants entering the engine.

If you believe their Dyno numbers I have a sack of magic beans lying around somewhere...
    :bananadead::bananadead::bananadead:

4. Jul 1, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    Zachman1750

Zachman1750 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport - Blue
    Won't lie. I liked it at first, but already got sick of the noise- particularly in the higher rpm range. I'm sending it back today. I had a k&n intake on my charger that I really liked, but this Blackhawk was just much too loud.

Anyone have suggestions for a less restrictive pipe replacement for the stock air box?

tetten likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top