1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

installing a custom roof rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Joseph, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Mar 1, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Joseph

Joseph [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    Does anyone have information regarding how the bed is assembled and the best manner in which to install a custom fab roof rack on my new 2010 taco?

On previous trucks, the bed rails were exposed sheet metal which allowed me to through-bolt the assembly on but that's not the case with this truck. and a roof rack is a necessity.

Specifically I will build a roof rack of 1" tube steel that extends over the access cab and will allow for a cap at a later date...

any insights would be appreciated...

2. Mar 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  3. Mar 1, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    I was thinkin on having a platform or basket made for the bed. I was thinking of using angle iron to rest on the bed rails and attaching via the built in track. Then welding cross members on to the angle. From there there are many options.

4. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    Joseph

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    the link of the build was a great one! very informative. It seems that fabricating a new bed rail is the way to go...

5. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    JackedTaco

JackedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    USA, Earth...
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Weathertech Mats, Thule rack custom install on bed caps. Foglite anytime mod. K&N air filter. Rear leaf TSB. Tinted passenger windows. TRD CAt Back exhaust. Bilstein 5100 front shocks at 1.75".
    I just did this with a Thule Rack system on my bed rails. With lots of guidance from "snoboarder' the system went very smoothly.

First, the rails themselves under the rail caps are loaded with rectangular holes for the rail cap to fit into. so blindly drilling into the rail cap will be disastrous.

You will need;

Thule TK14 fit kit,
    Thule 430 Tracker II feet
    Thule Bars, I think I went with 65 inch bars

Ok, remove the rail caps and place the assembled bars, feet and fit kit on the exposed rail. Measure what you will hauling on the racks themselves and make sure it fits especially the front bar to the rear of the cab, you will need sufficient room here. I have a Thue Box on mine now, and bike racks in the summer.
    Once you know the placement is ok, you will need to find sufficient sheet metal to drill into on the rail. Once you have an area I used blue painters tape to tape off where the base will be and keep it in place to mark for drilling. Measure side to side where the drill holes are as you will need these measurements to drill the railcap. After you drill the holes you are ready to put in the hole plugs that will be the receiver for the screws to hold the footing. This will take some time, go slow and don't rush this and don't overtighten. Keep the tape on the rails, replace the plastic toprails and put tape on the railcaps copying the tape under the cap to have a template. Use the measurements and figure out the drill holes to match the holes on the rail.
    Place the Tk14 fittings on and screw tight but watch that you dont over tighten as you can dimple in the rail, if so back off the screw until the cap is flush again.
    Place the Feet with bars onto the tk14 fittings and your golden.
    Just be sure to get the locks for the feet as they are worth there weight in gold.
    Will post pics in a bit, at work now. Hope this helps!

6. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    Joseph

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    this is what I came up with! Thanks for the help and links!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    Joseph

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    here's another image.

[​IMG]

I should have taken the time to use angle on the bedrail rather than flat bar. It would have been way more solid but this was done in my driveway as I don't have access to a shop anymore!

Products Discussed in

To Top