1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing a permanent after market 12V outside temperature gauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Oldboatcrap, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Feb 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    I have a back up camera and I want to install an outside air temperature gauge. I do not care about the compass that the OEM ones have. I do not want spend hundreds on the OEM version, get a rear view mirror gauge (again..backup camera) or get some junky cheapo version that you Velcro, use suctions or have to push a button to see it at night. In addition I want it to be on at all times when I am driving with bright LED. I think the best option is to mount a rectangular Teltek Informer XL 12V guage in the space between the cigarette lighter and the aux socket.
    I plan on taking out one or both blank buttons so the wiring and mounting bracket will look clean. I want the wire to go through the blank buttons and the would screws will be behind the blank buttons with a washer in the back to hold it in. The sensor seems to be the easy part, as it goes through the firewall where the bundle of wires are on the left side of the steering wheel. Has anybody done this? If so, can you send pics or describe in detail? Can I just just splice the cigarette lighter wire? If so, what color are the positive and negative wires on the lighter? Another possible option would be put it over the blank buttons on the left side of the steering wheel, although it would not be easy to read. Would running the wires to the fuse box be better? If so, how do you do that? The link is the gauge I am talking about. I am not affiliated with Teltek, I am just using this link as a reference. http://www.teltek.us/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=756

2. Feb 14, 2011 at 3:01 AM
    Priddle

Priddle And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    Where would the sensor get mounted?

3. Feb 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM
    Boilerman

Boilerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    $86.00 ouch!!!!!! :eek::eek:

mahaloTaco likes this.
  4. Feb 14, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    The sensor will be zip tied near the radiator near the horns or on that metal beam under the radiator.

5. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    Sounds expensive, but not really considering it has a lifetime warranty, made in US, very accurate sensor, 12V, and can see in dark conditions without an annoying button you have to push. Truckers have been using these for years. The alternative seems to get a cheap junk one (that I currently have-junk), loose my rear view mirror or pay hundreds for OEM.

6. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    Sorry..Sensor. I will feed it through the cable bunch in the firewall and the actual sensor will be zip tied on the metal frame under the radiator. or near the horn, similar to where Toyota puts them. 14K 2001 Toyota Corolla has one, but my 2010 26K truck does not. Go figure.

7. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    crashnrondo

crashnrondo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Limited
    Could you update this post with pictures when you get the instal done in the cab?

Thanks,
    Ron

8. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    tis ashame because my truck has the sensor on the support...and the wiring going into the cab, but that's where it ends for my option package. it'd be nice to just be able to buy an interface using that sensor and wiring.

9. Feb 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Harbor Freight and PepBoys both sell indoor/outdoor temp gauges for like $10. I know these are just gizmos, but I really like these.

RZ Rob

10. Feb 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    Understood RZ rob, but please understand quality and features are the key here. My reply is long because i anticipated many people recommending the cheap guages..no offence. I am sure many people don't mind those guages. There are a many cheapo guages out there, but as stated before, been there, done that (I currently have the Pep Boy type one...junk..no offence to Pep Boys). Harbor Frieght, Walmart ect do not meet my reqirements. Similar posts have said the same thing. I am looking for a quality 12V permanent LED that can be clearly seen at night and day without pushing buttons. Basically as close to OEM as possible without spending hundreds. The only cheap one I saw that comes close to meeting my requirements is by Sure Electronics, a Chinese company on Ebay. The problem with Sure is the sensor is only 3 feet long making it almost useless for cars and trucks. The Sure people do not make a 10 foot sensor cable. It would be great for inside temp, but it will not reach the proper place (in front of the vehicle) for outside temp. In addition shipping takes a month because it is from Hong Kong. I am unsure (no pun intended) of the quality. I will try it on my wifes van..11 year old minivan for test purposes, as I only want quality products in my Tacoma. A guy on a Mazda post said it worked fine but..again the short sensor. You can not buy two or three sensors and spice because it will not be accurate. I think I will go ahead and buy the Informer XL because if hard core truckers say its good, I think I will spend more money toavoid the headache of buying cheap junk. I will update with pics as soon as I get the guages.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    BBYE V8

BBYE V8 Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
  12. Feb 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    Thanks for the info, but it seems issues are weak backlight and inaccurate according to reviews. I am installing the Teltek this week-end in the Tacoma and will report. I will install the Sure electronics version in the van whenever I get it. The van is not Toyota,but it will be useful info, as installation will be the same as the Teltek.

13. Feb 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I went with a cyberdyne red gauge in a pod and it works great. Similar to the Kenworth style round teltek - a good brand.

14. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    How did you install? How did you mount? I saw a great post where a guy used a no soliciting sign as a frame, drilled holes, painted it and pot to pods there (under the cig lighter. I with I would have thought of that after I bought the rectangle guage. The one thing about my way is I can put stuff in that bin in where the guages would go, but then again, what would you put in that bin? Also, putting the guages in the bin area (in front of the stick shift) gives you use of the lank buttons if needed. Anyway, can you provide pics or explain how you wired it?

15. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    CoalMedic

CoalMedic Molon Labe

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue Pearl SR5
    Subscribed, this sounds like a great idea. Good luck.

16. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    Reason for not using the round guage is I would have to get a mounting pod or sacrifice other space for it. I considered over the steering wheel, near the e-break or even the pillar. The problem with the piller mounts is you have to get rid of your oh s--- bar. As stated below before you can use it with some kind of frame in the storage bin or maybe some kind of pod. I got the rectagle one because it fits perfectly over the blank buttons, which don't do do anything. According to telteck it is the same guage, just different housing (same electronics and sensor). I do like the look of that guage better. It is just a space issue.

17. Feb 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    Awsome! Why doesn't the interceptor show up when I do a search for guages? All well. Maybe for my next car, as I already have bought the Teltek rectanglular gauge. I still like the Teltek for my truck, but I will save this link for future vehicles. I like the fact you can watch your fuel economy and your outside temp at the same time with the aeroforcetech. Unfortunately my wife and I are short and need that OH SH-- handle. I like the site with the and detailed specs and directions. For anybody doing this ( adding any guage) the add a circuit fuse holder (7$) at Autozone saves headache and guesswork keeps you from having to splice factory wiring and removing the cig lighter (other forums said that was a chore).

18. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Mount the sensor down low away from the hood. The Tacoma seems to be very good at trapping the heat under the hood.

I recently installed a Cyberdyne outside temp gauge,

DSC_0037-1_3045d2fd352b6cf4c167911939dbd593498aaa62.jpg

ClammyPeach likes this.
  19. Feb 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap [OP] Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB

20. Feb 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    Oldboatcrap