1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing head rests in 05-08 AC?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by TK421, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TK421

TK421 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Antonio, TX
    I've read all the posts on double cab v access cab and all the posts on removing head rests in 09 and newer tacos, but here's my dilemma:

I plan to buy an access cab based on my people hauling needs (or lack thereof), but will occasionally put my 6 year old daughter in the back seat. I almost bought an '05 but the moment I heard her head smack the rear window during a test drive, I was done with all models before '09. Don't need a DC, so I can't spend the extra money there. Here's my idea... It looks like the '09 AC headrests just bolt into the seat back frame. A bunch of guys have pulled these out to fit car seats, but I want to actually install one into an '05-08. That way I can have more trucks to choose from to buy, without worrying about my daughter smashing her head in an accident. Im not sure if its backwards compatible, but im assuming TMC didnt adjust their frame, just designed a headrest that would fit their existing hole patterns. What do you think?

2. TK421

TK421 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Antonio, TX
    Anyone? Perhaps you've replaced your backseat and would know if the headrest could be bolted on?

3. dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ
    My 7 year old daughter barely fits in back of my Double Cab with her booster seat. I can't imagine trying to cram her and her booster seat in an access cab. Good luck.

4. TK421

TK421 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Antonio, TX
    Stopped by my local dealership. They told me they think the 05-08 seatback panel is the same as the '09 so it would very likely retrofit. I stopped by a chain collision repair company andnthey didnt want to touch it. My local body shop said they'd do it for $50 each if I brought in the hardware. I actually think I could do it myself if I went to the trouble of taking it off an '09 in a junkyard.

Ended up finding a good deal on an '09, so I didn't need this after all, but maybe this will help someone else.

5. PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I have headreats for sale? PM me?

To Top