1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing HID into Eagle Eyes Halos

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mikeymyk11, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Do you know what you are talking about? The headlight lens does not cause the scatter, putting an HID bulb in a reflector designed for a halogen bulb (as you are suggesting) is what causes scatter

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    marlin

marlin Member

Member:
    al
    Vehicle:
    06prerunner
    the main lens can also add to the scatter!

3. Nov 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    marlin

marlin Member

Member:
    al
    Vehicle:
    06prerunner
    send me a pic of your no scatter, and i will send you a pic of my eagle eye halos with not 1 bit of scatter!!! projecting a beam of light through different gauges of plastic can affect the beam pattern! let me now how the seals hold up,since you prob can seal it better than the factory! you will have moisture in them within a year.

4. Nov 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    marlin

marlin Member

Member:
    al
    Vehicle:
    06prerunner
    Beginning in the early 1990s, HID lamps have been employed in motor vehicle headlamps. This application has met with mixed responses from motorists, who appreciate the improved nighttime visibility from HID headlamps but object to the glare they can cause. Internationalized European vehicle regulations require such headlamps to be equipped with lens cleaners and an automatic self-leveling system to keep the beams aimed correctly regardless of vehicle load and altitude, but no such devices are required on motorcycles, or in North America, where ECE regulations are inapplicable and inherently more glaring beam patterns are also permitted. The fitting of HID conversion kits (which include HID lamps that fit into original headlamp units in place of the original bulbs with no change to the headlamp's lens, reflector or housing) generally results in extremely high levels of glare, and is illegal throughout most of the world. However, complete halogen headlamp units can be replaced with complete HID headlamp units, provided that the replacement headlamp units comply with the applicable standards.[

5. Nov 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    I actually would like to see the output of HID's in those lights, so post a pic if you would

6. Nov 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    Lol good stuff happening in here

7. Nov 21, 2011 at 3:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yeah, me too...........before I put an H7 5000k in them. Well, dunno, then my brights would be pointless unless I put 9005 3000k kit in them to have nuclear yellow fog brights. Then I guess I'll have to use the 130w halogen bulbs I have in the 500ffs on the light bar until the housings melt. GLAREORAMA! They'll go great with the train horns that make people shit themselves.

Do you smell sarcasm?

8. Nov 21, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    See current group buy link in my sig. 25% savings make them affordable.

9. Nov 21, 2011 at 3:42 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Nah, probably gonna do the 160.00 retrofit kit on my black oems.

10. Nov 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't waste my money on those ebay projectors. A morimotor Mini H1, even a D2S will blow those away in the output

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Nov 21, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Brian:
    When I added up the difference for the FX-R projector and the cost was only another $20. I did a lot of reading and the install may be harder for the FX-R but if you take your time you will have a better light output width.

12. Nov 21, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Betting the 160s'll be plenty better than the halogen H7s....those and my super glaring ass h10 fogs :eek: should be more than enough.

13. Nov 21, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    cummins6speed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you can't even compare the FX-Rs to ebay projectors but I went with the Mini H1's because they have pretty good output and width, comparable to the TSX projectors and were easy to install

14. Nov 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    Mikeymyk11

Mikeymyk11 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Sport
    Rims, Tires, Tint, System, Touch Screen Double Din
    Sweet, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Putting 8k's in them on Wednesday so I'll post a picture when they are in!

15. Nov 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    ^^^^

What he said. Sucks in the snow as well.

16. Nov 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    5000K max is the general rule of thumb for maximum light output towards the blue scale.

17. Nov 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Your ignorance absolutely astounds me... Talking out of your ass and throwing up text does not make your answer right. You're wrong. Whether you will admit it or not is your prerogative. There are guys that have had retros for a few years now with absolutely no moisture. I get severe temp swings here and have not a single issue. And where are all the different gauges of plastic that you speak of? I can only think of one piece of plastic that my light has to go through.

Just because you heard what you wanted to hear doesn't mean it's the right answer. Why did you make this thread if you had your mind made up already? Yes, they will be brighter. Yes, you will get some wild scatter. Just do it and force everyone on the road to deal with it or else go the retro route...

18. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    marlin

marlin Member

Member:
    al
    Vehicle:
    06prerunner
    you can get both of your projectors off ebay! oh yeah fire marshall bill you can get your cheap x2 projectors off egay also!!!!!!!!!

19. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I guess I am too old and too nice Brock. But I agree it is a DB move to use the HID bulbs in a halogen projector. The bulbs produce different types of lights and the stock Tacoma projectors that are designed for the halogen bulbs.

The HID in a halogen projector will and does cause on coming drivers to lose sight of the road at night. If you aim your headlights low to avoid this then you cannot see well at all.

Do yourself a favor and save up for a retrofit kit.

This kit here at 25% off is only $230 plus shipping. Lots of guys on this board will help you if you run into problems.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237

20. Nov 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    There is a HUGE difference between real projectors that are retrofitted into stock housings and "projector headlights" that one buys off of ebay... The cutoff and spread are not even sort of comparable. And of course you can get real projectors off of ebay. They do sell quality stuff on there as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top