1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

installing power locks?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by coehorn1, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    coehorn1

coehorn1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 4x4 2.7I4 5sp "beast"
    Getting ready to get keyless and alarm installed but I don't have power locks. Anybody installed power locks in a gen 1? Has anyone documented the steps or are their any how-to's available?

Does an '03 Taco have rod or cable locks? Any gotcha's or special tools necessary?

Sure would appreciate any info......

2. Apr 15, 2010 at 2:27 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    '01 Limited DoubleCab 4x4
    3" SL, Nerf Bars, 33" BFGs, K&N, Deckplate, Royal Purple
    Do the '03s really not come with power locks? I thought that would be standard by then. You'll have to switch out all the mechanisms in the doors and it might cost you more than you wanna pay. Best bet is to find a junk/crashed Tacoma and take all the lock mechanisms off it and install them in your truck. That still might take a lot of work. If you actually have to push the lock down to lock your doors, then I think it'll cost you way more than you wanna spend to get your remote keyless entry installed.

3. Apr 15, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_ಠ
    17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    My '04 doesn't have power locks :(
    That's a good idea to check a junk yard... but a replacement remote will be needed.

4. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    coehorn1

coehorn1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 4x4 2.7I4 5sp "beast"
    I've got some DEI 524N 2Wire Door Lock Actuators coming in. It'll be an interesting experience.....

5. Apr 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    I got a cheapie kit from e-bay, it was like $27, be careful. :)

I love them, but I have had to replace both of them already, the cheap actuators run about $8 each. The boot on them rots, cheap rubber, then water gets into the motor and it slows down. I also put an autoloc tailgate lock in too, guess what, the new motor with that fried on its first try. I replaced it and its been great for 6 mos now.

The installation was a piece of cake, but you lose something, a little security.

I removed the door panels, removed the door lock knobs, pulled the lock shafts off the latches, then removed the tubes they slide in. These tubes are a security feature of your truck, it helps prevent a slimjim from easily unlocking your door. I had to trim the tubes back to attach the shaft from the motor, to the lock knob shaft. I bent the rod as the directions showed, attached the motors in existing holes in the lower part of the door and ran the wires to the relay panel, then to my remote starter control box. I also installed a single switch in the LH side of my dash to make it easy to open the other door when she wants in! Typical rectangular rocker with an arrow up or down, it was available on e-bay from the same seller as the lock kit.

My next task is to figure out if I can change my remotes to a 4 button, so I can have a separate lock/unlock button. I find it a PITA to check if its locked from a distance, if lock were a separate button, I would be happier. :)

Sorry no pictures, Good Luck!

To Top