1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing sliders

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LonghornTaco, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Nov 25, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    cost me $100 to have mine welded on....but it was at an offroad shop and they did a slam up job. scored the frame, welded, cleaned them up, and then painted them over and looked like factory

2. Nov 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Ok when you guys no longer want to add to your pickups but still feel the need to mod, I am nominating my truck for your modding pleasure, just hit me up! :D

3. Nov 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    lol!

4. Nov 25, 2008 at 8:51 PM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    my sliders bolted through existing holes in the frame. about 1 week later, I had them welded on for peace of mind.

They rock!

5. Nov 25, 2008 at 9:43 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I heard that it was bad to weld to the frames? something about the frames being heat treated or something?

6. Nov 26, 2008 at 3:12 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I think that depends on the vehicle. Big rigs, maybe, but I have welded on many frames, mine included, without issue. As long as your not blowing thru the frame, all should be good.

7. Nov 26, 2008 at 3:13 AM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    Definitely Weld them on! I wouldn't bolt them on, that is for the Mall Crawlers!

8. Nov 26, 2008 at 4:12 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i have Demello's bolted on and would pick up the truck with a crane by them. there are 16 1/2 grade 8 bolts holding them on. those bolts have a shear strength of 150,000 pounds per square inch. i only had to drill 6 holes to mount mine. didn't want to weld on for a couple reasons, one being that eventually they will need re-painted, have fun with that while they're welded to the truck. also, if the next owner (if there is ever one) may not be into off-roading and might not want big ol bars permanently mounted to the truck. third, if frame rust issues come up on these trucks, i think i have a better chance at getting Toyota to make it right if there are only a couple extra holes, (which they probably won't notice), rather than a bunch of welds. 4th, a weld is only as good as the guy who does it.

to OP: nothing wrong with bolting on. for 32 holes, i would reccommend an air drill or a good electric plug in. use some cutting fluid also to make things easier. not sure why they use 32 bolts...seems a bit excessive.

9. Nov 26, 2008 at 4:44 AM
    JVTACOMA

JVTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    York, Pa
    I had the AllPro Sliders on my 03 and found them to be very strong with the provided "32" self tapping bolts. I tested them out plenty of times on the trail and off. After I first installed them i used a high lift to jack the truck up to change a tire and held just fine.

I had to use a right angle drill because the body did not allow enough room for a regular drill to contact the frame at 90 degress. Just like any mod, take your time and you'll fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top