installing transcooler for 3rd generation 4runner **pictures**

Discussion in '4Runner Builds' started by ramonortiz55, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:36 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 [OP] Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    I decided to do a write up for the transmission cooler.

Transcoolers are very important in 3rd generation 4runners to avoid the pink milkshake issue. (google it!)

I went ahead and bought the B&M 70268 transcooler.

Picked up a quart of transmission fluid, some hose clamps, and 3/8" inner diameter transmission hose from vatozone.

First step is to make sure the 4runner is cool. Don't want to get scalded by any hot transmission oil while removing the existing transmission hoses.

Next I removed the grille

The grill is held in place by five support clips. Each support clip looks like this (pictured already popped out):

If we look to the side of the support clip, well see its open. There is a little knub in there. This knub needs to be pushed back with a flathead screwdriver to disengage the support clip.

Next we go under the 4runner and remove the skid plate. It is being held in place by a few bolts:

Dropping skid plate:

This will expose the bottom of the radiator and the transmission hoses:

The driver's side transmission hose is the RETURN line.

The passenger side transmission hose is the SEND line.

Follow the hoses until you reach where they connect to hard transmission tubing. The transmission hoses are the ones with the sleeves in the picture below. I couldn't take a better picture because they are in a tight spot:

Next I mounted the transmission cooler, notice that I had to remove the drivers side horn and placed it on the same bolt that holds the drivers headlight. I decided to do this because I didn't want to obstruct wind flow across the transcooler:

I also went ahead and connected the hoses:

I attached the transcooler onto the radiator using supplied zip ties.

I ran the hoses thru an opening to the left of the radiator, it appears that some tubing runs thru there also.

After removing the existing radiator hoses, I attached the upper transcooler hose to the SEND tubing.

I attached the lower hose to the RETURN tubing. I made sure to not mix these two up.

So what happens to the exposed inlet and outlet at the bottom of the radiator?

I used some leftover transmission hose to connect them together.

If I ever need to use the radiator in an emergency, I can always connect back to it.

2. Aug 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM
    MattScatt28

MattScatt28 2017 Seattle Mariners AL West Champs!

Member:
    Snoqualmie
    I did that on my old 3rd gen. Alittle nervous at first and the old lines are a pain in the butt to get off. Miss my 3rd Gen

3. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:28 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 [OP] Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    From a T4R.org post:

I emailed Valvoline about their Max Life ATF.

Here is what I wrote:

What is the maximum safe temperature for your Max Life ATF? I understand that the life of ATF is determined by the temperature that it's operated under.

The reason I ask is because while 4wheeling last weekend, the temperature of my ATF got up to 280 degrees F at the send line to the cooler. I don't know what my pan temp was. I'm wondering if I should flush my transmission or if your Max Life ATF can handle operating at that high of a temperature.

Thank you for your questions. If the temperature of the transmission fluid reaches 280*F for a long period of time, the life of the fluid would decrease quickly, within a few thousand miles. If the product in your transmission is a conventional fluid, Valvoline would recommend replacing that fluid with the Valvoline MaxLifr Dex/Merc ATF. The Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF is a full synthetic fluid that will with stand temperatures above 280*F, but the life expectancy of the fluid would decrease slower than a conventional fluid.

Thanks for the response. The fluid in my tranny right now is the Max Life Dex/Merc.How much of an improvement does your Max Life ATF offer over conventional ATF at high temperatures?

Conventional transmission fluids are not designed to with stand high temperatures like synthetic fluids such as, Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF. The flash point of the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF is 395*F. Conventional fluids can flash between 330*-350*F.

So are you saying that my max life ATF is okay after being exposed to 280 degree heat for one hour?

The Valvoline MaxLife Dex/ Merc ATF can easily withstand extreme temperatures of 280*F for an hour but, if your vehicle is maintaining this temperature you may want to have a transmission repair shop look in to why the transmission is reaching these temperatures. The transmission should run temperatures under 200*F.

ltsr likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top