1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Insurance Liability Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Evil Monkey, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey [OP] There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm debating whether or not to pay for a seperate insurance policy or group my 18-year-old stepson with mine.

I have a question regarding liability and an 18-year-old driver. My 18-year-old stepson just got his driver's license. He's still living in the house so I thought about putting him on my insurance policy to reduce the cost some (basic liability on the truck we bought for him to drive which will be transfered into his name soon).

If I do put him on my and my wife's policy, are our assets at risk in the event he gets sued for something (e.g. the house)? As a legal adult, he would normally carry all the liability for any lawsuit but does that change if I put him on my policy?

2. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Yessir

Edit: I'm not a lawyer and didn't pass the BAR. I only say yes because this is CA and anybody can be sued for anything now a days. :cool:

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Best answered by calling your agent..then another agent to make sure you don't get a different answer.

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Many of my clients sell the car to their kids. Take them off your policy and have them buy their own minimum policy. This way they are separate from you. They don't need a big dollar policy since they (presumably) have nothing. Therefore, no reason for people to try to get blood from a rock.

I also know a guy that sued a 18 yr old for 3 million dollars and won a couple of million. He will never walk right again. Has a broom for a leg right now.

The only reason why they even sued was because the father had a $3 million umbrella policy and he was insured by the same policy. Talk to your agent and talk strategy. TW info is as good as Saturday call in legal shows.

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Get an umbrella liability and don't worry.

6. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    ^^^ This is not true. Just because you don't have a great deal of assets doesn't mean that they can't pursue what you don't have. What ends up happening is it becomes a lien on one's record. Best bet if you want to free yourself from most liability issues is to have the vehicle titled in his name since he is of age and have him acquire his own insurance policy with reasonably higher liablity limits. I work for a very large Insurance Company and see situations where lower limits aren't sufficient and the remainder of the cost still falls on the person liable. Upon having him the titled owner of the vehicle you should go ahead and make him take a Defensive Driver course as part of the deal.

7. Apr 19, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Even if he is on his own insurance they can still come after and sue you for your assets until he is 21. Might as well put him on your insurance until he turns 21 (to save some money) and then take him off. That's what my parents did for myself and my sister after our neighbor (District attorney) told my father it doesn't matter until your 21

8. Apr 19, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    I am not sure how this would be possible --^. At 18 you are a legal adult and responsible for your own actions.

If he is 18, the vehicle and insurance is in his name you shouldn't be liable for anything should something happen.

9. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    rjclemen

rjclemen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    Have him get his own policy.

10. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:07 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    This is true, CA is the worst with their insurance laws (I used to do workers' comp). However with that being said, they will find some way to come after you if he lives in the same house too.

11. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Unfortunately you are preached this over and over until you find out the hard way for certain things it is 21. With financial aid from the government for school, although I had been on my own since 18, I had to jump through hoops to get government subsidized rates. It is 18 for most things, but if it benefits them for some things they will push it back.

12. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    With financial aid...when i was in that age range it was 23 to be "independant" iirc.
    The main reason for this is so people will not abuse the system, leaving subsidized loans for those that truely need them, not the kids that are still dependant on parents.

That however has nothing to do with civil liability which this would fall under.

13. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I understand, whatever the stipulation it always has a valid reason. Just like with the loans, certain stipulations in insurance can do the same in order to protect the claimant from some 18 year old who has nothing in the event of a catastrophe.

In all, I don't know the exact answer, every policy and every state have different laws and limitations. Particularly with insurance (especially in CA) it is a different animal, it doesn't fall under the norm.

14. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    The kid is under 25, male and not married, he is called an "assigned risk" no matter what he drives, nothing is going to be great as far as rates go. If you plan a paying his insurance for him then OK, I wouldn't do that for my son unless he was a full time college kid. I would cover him on my policy for only his car and have him sign exclusions for all other vehicles (including my truck). This means he is only insured to drive his car under my policy. I'm not sure if you can set different coverages for each driver but i suspect not, probably one comp rate for all the drivers on the policy.

15. Apr 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    Talk to your insurance agent about the cost question.

Talk to your attorney about the liability question.

The laws regarding insurance and liability are different in every state.

Products Discussed in

To Top