1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

insurance on a parked truck

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ACBWV91, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    ACBWV91

ACBWV91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Charleston/Motown WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4
    So I found a truck i really wanted, I was going to buy it and park it in the back of my dads driveway so i wouldn't have to pay insurance yet. I was gonna work until i have another chunk of money to pay the insurance. It was my dads idea to get the truck before sombody else does and to park it and work for a while. He says its ok to have it in the driveway with dead tags...

Mom says that i have to have insurance on a car even if it is parked in the driveway...

Does anybody know who is right? Can i get a ticket for having it parked with dead tags and no insurance?

2. Sep 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    Robbsolid

Robbsolid Zombie Killer

Member:
    ABQ, N.M.
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SuperWhite DBL Cab
    Plastic X'd Flares, deck plate mod, Thrush welded muffler, graphite painted wheels, relocated turn signals, fogs in bumper
    check the laws in your state/county.

3. Sep 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    My old auto shop teacher owned (outright) about 8 cars. All of them had expired tags, dating back to 1997-2004. They are all just parked in a garage for students to work on. 5 of them were still operable, they just weren't driven more than a few yards to move them around in the garage. He didn't have any problems with them. However, I don't know if all 8 cars were insured or not...

4. Sep 8, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    How would they know if it was just sitting in your driveway? I think it would only matter if you were opperating said vehicle on a public road.

5. Sep 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    According to CA - you have to have a car registered AND insured if it is on public land. You can have it sit on your property and not have it insured, the DMV will just suspend your registration if it is not insured. You will have to pay fees & such to bring it current when you are ready to drive it. I have no idea about WV laws

Oh, and you will probably need to have the truck insured in order to complete the sale w/ the DMV anyways. So whoever you are buying the truck from probably wouldn't be cool with you letting the truck sit on your property uninsured while it is still in his name, I know I wouldn't..

6. Sep 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    if you get a loan for the truck it is suppossed to be insured! thats another form of collateral. If its bought with straight up cash and no loan. I dont see why you would need insurance unless its registered with the dmv, or your scared of the vehicle getting damaged or stolen.

7. Sep 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Correct. If you get a secured loan on the truck (where you use the truck as collateral), you'll have to have insurance on it. If you pay for it with straight up cash, as long as it stays parked in a driveway off the roadway, you do not need insurance. Also if you're in a state where your insurance and registration are tied together, you'll have to insure it if it's registered or you'll have to pay extra fees when they suspend your registration. When I still owned my car and took it off the road for the winter, I would keep comprehensive on it in case something fell on top of it or something strange happened to it. They used to charge me like $15 a month to keep that on rather than $75 a month.

8. Sep 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    on jersey if it aint in a garage it must have plates on it.

9. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You don't need insurance and you don't need to register it if its parked on your property.

As soon as you drive it on the road, you need everything and atleast liability.

10. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You don't need insurance and you don't need to register it if its parked on your property - atleast not in PA.

11. Sep 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    i think your best bet is to call the WV DMV and ask

12. Sep 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    x20

If it has a lein on it you have to be insured

What if it is in a hail storm, what if it is stolen? If you paid cash, I would put some insurance on it regardless. You can get a cheaper rate if you tell the insurance company it is going to be parked. If you have a loan on it regardless you have to insure it.

13. Sep 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

false:D My old 4runner was parked in my backyard, out in the open for close to a year while i was re building it..no one ever questioned it, and you could clearly see the truck from the street

Products Discussed in

To Top