1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Fly5465, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    Fly5465

Fly5465 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    Not sure what forum to post this in?

Anyway, I'm thinking about switching my insurance to Geico. Anyone else here use Geico, if so do you like them? Any comments welcome. I'm currently with Allstate, but it looks like switching to Geico will save me a good deal of money.

Fly5465 - Arizona

2. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    We just switched to Geico after 25+ years with L.M.:mad:,they totally blew it and Geico matched everything policy to policy and was $800+ a year cheaper...

Their C.S is right on too,they found an error on an accident my son got into with my Taco BUT L.M. had it listed under me ( same 1st name) and helped get it straight.....I drive for a living and DO NOT need any "oops" showing on my CDL......

Plain and simple.....price,price and price again BUT compare everything,glass,rentals,body shops they use,out of state travel,replacement value.....the "Devil" is in the details......

Snoope back quiet

I'm "Young" like you..........maybe 30 + years experience gives us better discounts

3. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I have them on my bike......I had a claim 2 months ago....they sent a lady out the next day & wrote me a check on the spot!

They're way higher on our vehicles than Allstate so I don't know about their auto insurance.

4. Jun 26, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    Fly5465

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    Snope,
    Yea, I have been with Allstate for 25+ years. I guess I just dont like change? :) Anyway, I decided to shop a little. Geico and Progressive were both much cheaper. With Geico I can get almost 3x the insurance coverage for about $650 per year less. I think that is enough to make me want to change.

Thanks for your input!
    FLY5465

5. Jun 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    Fly5465

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    Sounds like they took care of you quickly! Thats pretty good. Thanks for the input.

Fly5465

6. Jun 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    Phantom_X-SP

Phantom_X-SP Rude Boy |><|

Member:
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Black Sand Pearl X-SP
    I was with Geico for about a year and never had any problems. Like you I shopped around, but decided to go with USAA who blew everyone out the water.

7. Jun 26, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    USAA is definately the way to go if they will pick you up.

8. Jul 1, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    nytmarecoma88

nytmarecoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma
    Tonnuea Tint euro Tail lights halo head lights billet grille- black debadged black powdercaoted 17's "knight rider" mod aero turbine exhaust black bull bar multicolor halo fogs
    when i first bought my taco, i had geico, showed proof of insurance and all that jive before i drove off the lot, well i hadnt had it 6 hrs and some punk kids threw a rock into my back window while i was parked, i called geico and they said "your policy wasnt offically effective until the 29th" which was the next day

9. Jul 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    Sounds about right. Had to fight GEICO for my then new 1991 Celica that a uninsured drunk driver T-Boned me the next day after buying it. Fought them for 3 years to pay my claim off while I was still making payments to the bank for a car that was basically totaled. Been with Nationwide ever since.

When I bought my 09 a few weeks back, Progressive was offer me a rate of over $650 less than a year Nationwide. Called my Nationwide agent and wanted to cancel and was priced matched to stay with them. :D

10. Jul 9, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Gunga

Gunga Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad DC 4x4
    I just switched to Progressive from State Farm. Saved about $800.00 a year (for 3 vehicles)

11. Jul 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    Esurance is the way I went. Great people, very friendly and excellent service when my truck got stolen. I'd recommend them to anyone.

12. Jul 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Fly5465

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    Hey all,
    I just wanted to upate this thread because I started it. First I want to thank you all for the replies, it really helps.

I was with Allstate and I shopped around for new auto insurance as well as home insurance for my 2 homes. I looked at several companys including Geico, Progressive, American Family and a couple others.

In the end I went with Horace Mann. I got 3 times the amount of coverage and saved over $600 per year. I also met a really nice agent, he was great to deal with. I like being able to talk to "my" agent as opposed to just doing it over the phone with a big company like Geico.

Geico and Progressive were really competitive but Horace Mann just barely beat them when considering autos and homes.

For those of you who said to check with USAA, I think your right. I have heard they have great rates (Even my new agent with Horace Mann said this). However, I didn't qualify to be insured by them. You need to have a military back ground. Sorry to say I don't.

Thanks again for the help. I'm really pleased with my decesion to change! And would you beleive I was with the same Allstate guy for 30 years! I gave him the option to match my new insurance quotes, but he said he couldn't. I guess it was time for a change.

FLY5465

13. Jul 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    YES YES YES YES and YES!

I can't agree more! USAA is the best! :) Love them. :D

14. Jul 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I'll be shopping around myself once I get the Taco. I'm with Erie insurance now and they quoted me 1300 a year for the Taco.:mad: I was already paying 1100 a year for my Impala SS and they consider that a performance vehicle. I know I should be well under $1k if I shopped around.

15. Aug 9, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Here in NJ , Geico and Progressive are reported to be the worst.
    1. Geico called us one day said we left the scene of an accident in Silver Springs, MD. Only problem is our car was in our garage in NJ at the time of the accident. We had never been to Silver Springs, MD. Told Geico this they still wanted to charge us for the accident. We called SS, MD Police to ask if we had been in a accident and would they have called us. They said no accident and of course they would have called. Nice job Geico.
    2. Geico tried to charge us for an accident that our daughter had under her own policy. She a different naem but our address.
    3. Geico failed to pay a homeowners claim to us for a fire we had, Claimed we did not have insurance at the time. But they cashed our check. Never notified us of no insurance or cancelled policy.

16. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    Wow, I'm surprised so many of you seem to go so long without changing your insurance. You're burning money away. Wherever I've lived, I've preferred to deal with a local insurance broker (an insurance office that represents multiple insurance companies.) Every six months, I pay the office a visit and have them rerun my numbers to find me the absolute best deal. Besides making sure I'm always paying the least amount possible for the coverage I want, it also means I have a local office, with people I know, to go to when I make a claim.

Insurance companies are coming out with new plans/customer tiers all the time. I've been using the same insurer (through the office I deal with) for 4 years now. However, every year or so, I end up getting my rate reduced, either due to a new plan they came out with, or just because of tickets dropping off. More often than not, an insurance company will NOT lower your rate significantly on their own (from tickets dropping or whatever.) You need to be proactive about it.

17. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Like I've said, USAA is GREAT. Their coverage is awesome, and I get 20% off for getting all A's in school.

18. Aug 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    i have geico as well, cheapest quotes ive seen

19. Aug 21, 2009 at 1:52 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    a few years back I had Geico give me a quote for everything and they couldn't even come close in cost to my policies with State Farm.....and I have a good line of communication to my agent established.......

you got me thinkin' otter that I may need to reevaluate again maybe just to keep them honest.

20. Aug 22, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Don't know about them, but I have State Farm and have had them for years. I recently spoke to them in regards to my truck with everything added to it, and if I needed more insurance if stolen, wrecked etc. He told me that as long as I have receipts and have photo documentation of the stuff added it is covered, so I showed him TW.

Blowing smoke??? don't know but I don't plan on finding out.

Products Discussed in

To Top