1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intake question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bugg, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    bugg

bugg [OP] Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma prerunner
    Does anyone know if they make a cold air intake for the 2 gen tacoma that utilizes the hood scoop to force cold air into the engine...thank you

bugg

2. Dec 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Yeah, the hood scoop is really non-functional and "just for looks".

There are several great cold air intakes on the market for the Tacoma (my favorite is the K&N). None of them use the scoop but rather pull air from the same source as the factory intake.

Hood scoops are an outdated idea created to assist with getting more air into carburetors (usually located on top the engine).

Today we have far more sophisticated pre-combustion systems and a hood scoop has no advantages I can see.

Now a snorkel might be a cool mod and advantageous if you drive your truck on very dusty roads a lot and/or through deep water.

You know what I think would look cool... how about rigging up some red LEDs in your scoop to replicate the look of KIT - the car in the TV series 'Knight Rider'... ha ha

Or, wait. How about a third headlight? My 1988 Subaru had a hidden third headlight behind the grill that popped out.. pertty lame i f you ask me but to each their own:

[​IMG]

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    OK, I did some searching and found it for you. Here it is, the Knight Rider hood scoop for your Tacoma. Now you'll have the most awesome non-funtional "just for looks" hood scoop around! Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v5hwpnUA_0?fs=1

To Top