1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

intake questions, not your typical ones either

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 08pretaco, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mar 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    ok so i am kind of curious, for an intake system what qualitites make certain power "increases" aka hp or torque.

your typical CAI from say k&n, the way thats designed is "more" power at a higher rpm due to, im guessing, air being more available to get into the engine.

so does anyone have any input or thoughts about this. any specific sites, articles or web pages i can visit to read up on this.

ill restate the question: what specs or qualities in intake systems help provide more power and why/how those qualities help with the increases.

thanks for reading and only reason im asking is because i am a very bored young man and was thinking of fabing something up and since my professor has alot of friends in auto i can get some maybe free dyno time in and see what happens with a couple different designs.

2. Mar 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  3. Mar 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    -Least amount of restriction
    -Location for pulling the coolest air possible (cooler air = denser air, more air = more power)
    -MAF accuracy (so the ECU can apply the correct amount of fuel, when used with a tune, provide a more accurate/powerful AFR mixture).

4. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I like your thought in your sig! :thumbsup:

So then I got a couple more questions...since your wanting colder air does the length of the tubing play any role in intake? With same intake temp. If you have a shorter tube to the throttle bodyrather than a longer one is thete any benefit to that? Reason I ask is because the trd for the v6 is a lot shorter than the cai from urd. Then does placement of the maf make any difference?

5. Mar 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    if you increase the piping diameter then do you need to make any adjustments to the maf or can you just mount it into the new piping? meaning does it have to sit a certain way inside the piping because the air flow on the outside flows slower than the air flow in the center?

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Anybody got their .02 they would like to say about the couple of questions ^

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    So...less "intake questions" and more "how internal combustion gasoline engines work"?

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean by how internal combustion engines work? I thought what I asked was pretty intake specific: if you do larger intake piping do you need to do any special placement changes in your maf since it will sit differently in larger tubing than in a smaller diameter one and how different lengths of piping make a difference.

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    NEBULENCE

NEBULENCE Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    AEM Brute Force Intake and Rough Country 2.5 suspension lift and Westin Safari Bar with Hella Lights.
    I have an AEM Brute Force Intake with a Dry filter Charger (NO OIL) and all the specs and gains are available at http://www.aempower.com/

10. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I have an idea already of something I'm going to fab up just a few things that I don't know the answers to. My idea thus far copied in a way the weapon r system by using a smaller diameter tube that has a larger diameter pipe around it to create a venturi effect. Someone else made a "intake" for the 4 banger and says he feels like he lost some low end power due to using a larger diameter tubing and maybe this idea will help bypass that.

11. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I'll try to throw some change in the jar...

• Why do you get more power from a CAI? From my understanding, you get the power advantage in two ways; First, the filter is larger and of different construction, allowing more airflow with less restriction, and Second, the intake tube has a smoother interior with a more gradual elbow reducing pressure drop in the tube.
    • Does the length of tube make a difference? Yes, as with any sort of piping, increasing the length increases the pressure drop, reducing the flowrate (think of trying to drink a milkshake through 2" straw versus a 10" straw).
    • If you increase the diameter of the intake tube, do you need to make any changes to the MAF? This is only my assumption, but I would guess that changing the diameter would do bad things to the MAF. I believe the MAF alone only truly determines the air velocity. If you increase the diameter of a pipe while maintaining the flowrate the velocity will decrease. I would assume that a decrease in velocity at any given RPM would throw off the MAF and therefore you air/fuel mixture?

12. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I know how engines work lol but thanks. And I do realize to a point you get power than it drops off and have a negative affect. Iv figured out what I'm doing about the intake size and blah blah.

I'm to the point where I'm trying to figure out how to put the sensors into the piping now. Can I simply make a mount and put the maf into the new pipe? The change in diameter will not mess with the sensoring of mass air flow being that it will be sitting differently due to the larger tubing?

13. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Maybe I'm just not following your point, but that last sentence doesn't seem to make any sense. What exactly are you trying to ask or state?

14. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    The last bullet covers my question, thank you

Products Discussed in

To Top