1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intercooler pump relocation!!!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by extremachn1, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Apr 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Guys, has anyone with a 2nd gen TRD Supercharger had to relocate their intercooler pump after trying to install an aftermarket plate bumper and winch? I have a CBI and the intercooler pump seems to be in the way of the winch mounting location.

It shouldnt be to hard, I was going to lower it about 4 inches which should not affect it at all.

2. Apr 11, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I haven't put a new bumper on the front of mine yet but I had a feeling this would be an issue in the future.

I don't see why moving it would be an issue, you just need to mount it somewhere strong enough to hold it and where the wiring and hoses will reach without kinking.

3. Apr 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I also think you want to keep it as the lowest point in the system. This helps prevent air from getting into the pump. I will keep you posted on what I do for this.

4. Sep 3, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    JPA2002

JPA2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB TRD Pro
    What did you end up doing?

5. Sep 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I think you'd be ok with mounting it higher in the case of getting air in the system, when you install it, you actually just fill it up and run the pump 'to remove air from the system' so its just going to circulate and pop the air out into the reservoir.

Biscuits likes this.
  6. Sep 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
  7. Sep 3, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    Right, I figure with a pump that small the NPSHa is almost non-existant. However, knowing that it can be moved and raised a bit helps with my decision to buy a winch.

8. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Since we are on the intercooler subject, i have been wondering, how capable is our intercooler? I dont see any talk about people upgrading it. Which seems funny cause everyone on this site upgrades anything they can get their hands on. Im just curious as the mods go on, more heat will follow.

9. Sep 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Ok cool, i have been heavily looking into that route anyways over the last month. I will probably go with aquamist later once i have my other mods installed in a few weeks. I can feel a major power difference here in the summmer. Im in maine and it will go from 55 in the morning with to 85 and humid in the day and i can feel the power drain away and then come back when the sun goes down.

10. Sep 3, 2015 at 11:29 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    On the subject of the pump, im guessing you could move it up in front of the intercool and be good, thats what ill probably end up having to do to get it out of the way of a bumper as well...

As for temps, i notice a difference as well coming in to work in the afternoon vs lesving work at 5 AM, definitely a power boost!(no pun intended) I still need to get my pulley and headers on and go for a dyno run to see whats up, then i can decide to install my MAF calibrator or not as well as decide in water/meth injection or not.

My only concerns with water/meth injection is i read somewhere that it can corrode your internals over times...any words on this?

11. Sep 4, 2015 at 4:56 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    As far as i understand it, if you keep the concentration low it wont be an issue. Seems to make sense to me.

12. Sep 4, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    Biscuits

Member:
    As long as the pump has ample volume for suction, I think it would be okay. Like I said though, I seriously doubt that little thing has much in the way of NPSHa so the lower and less restricted the pump the better.

Regarding the temps, its just like anything else with combustion engines: cooler ambient air = more efficiency thus power. Nature's CAI. That's why I can't wait till winter... Or what passes for winter down here.

I understand the desire for methanol injection, but I would not run it in a daily driver. Too much risk of corroding the mild steel in the engine IMHO, and once corrosion begins, it's hell to pay. I'm sure there are those who say they have no problem, so to each their own.

13. Sep 4, 2015 at 8:53 AM
    Biscuits

Member:
    Absolutely nothing? Nothing that methanol would corrode from methanol? I'm not being sarcastic, its a genuine question.

14. Sep 4, 2015 at 8:56 AM
    Biscuits

Member:
    Scratch that. I was wrong. Whoops.

-edit-

Going to look into why people say methanol is corrosive. After thinking about it for a bit, I'm not sure why it would be.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  15. Sep 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM
    Biscuits

Member:
    I was wrong. Massive brain fart.

16. Sep 4, 2015 at 9:04 AM
    Biscuits

Member:
    Yeah, I spoke too soon. :(

17. Sep 4, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Years ago, I was working on making a larger core to replace the aftercooler. Couldn't get much larger though, so the cost versus efficiency upgrade was not worth it.

18. Sep 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    So did we establish that our engines won't corrode with water/meth injection? im considering on pulling the trigger ...

19. Sep 4, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    I haven't found enough data, much less consistent data. Might be fine for a race/drag car, but a DD? Hmm

20. Sep 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM
    Biscuits

Member:
    You might be right, I really don't know for certain. I did however send an email to some people at work who would know. Hope to hear something next week.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top