1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interested in a Tacoma for daily/winter car

Discussion in 'New Members' started by alex89, Jan 3, 2012.

1. alex89

alex89 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Edmond, OK
    I am interested in picking up a used SUV or truck to use as a daily driver/winter vehicle. My current vehicle is an 08 Infiniti G37 that is lowered quite a bit and has a good amount of performance modifications, and with a new job and college it is becoming impractical to drive around all the time, especially in the winter. Then it's impossible to drive. I also have a new Chocolate lab and fitting him in the G37 is getting quite difficult.

I've been looking around at Tacomas/4Runners, Pathfinders etc and right now am really fond of the Tacoma. I really don't want to spend more than 5-6000 on something and at least be a 2000 or newer, if that's even possible.

If I were able to find something in that price range (which I haven't yet) what could I expect out of it? The biggest reason I'm looking at Toyota is the history for reliability, compared to something american. Does this hold true for these trucks? I don't want something that will be a maintenance/money pit.

Lastly, I know this is a tacoma forum so I expect some biased answers, but are there any other comparable vehicles anyone would recommend for me to look at?

Thanks for any help!

Here's a pic of my current ride just for fun.

[​IMG]

2. alex89

alex89 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Edmond, OK
  3. 4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Longtime Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Silver State Edition
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s Click the sig pic to see the build thread .
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

4. TevisAaron

TevisAaron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tevis
    Cherokee Indian Reservation, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport w/ Leather & NAV
    Window Tint (All-Around, Including Windshield). . . Much more to come!

I SO FEEL YOU about the Infiniti. I've had an '07 G35 Coupe, a '09 G37 Sedan S, an '09 G37 coupe, and now I have a 2012 G37 Couple IPL Edition in Malbec Black. They are HORRIBLE in the snow!! I don't even take my Infiniti out if its just flurrying outside! Tacoma's are awesome in the snow. Every Toyota I have owned has been awesome in the snow. Last week it snowed here and the main roads were covered. I also live in the mountains so there were alot of steep hills to go up and down and I didn't slide once, even in 2WD.

5. TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Seems like it is a tough price point to get into a decent taco, they hold there value cause you have to pry them out of our cold dead fingers!

6. Seabass

Seabass I need to go return some videotapes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    <insert thief bait here>
    Our other car is an '04 G35 coupe, and having the Taco as the other vehicle works perfect. As far as pricing goes, it might be tough to get to $5-6k on 2000 or newer but they're out there. Depends on your patience.

7. tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    Welcome from SoCal! 5K-6K is indeed a tough price point. I was there for a long time and couldn't find much. I bumped it up to 10K and scored my last Taco (05 Prerunner RIP).

To Top