1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermittant Vibration only in 2WD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ocattaco, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    ocattaco

ocattaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Need some help from those at TW with yet another vibration problem.

The truck is a 2007 DC shortbox TRD off road 4x4 Auto. It has stock tires/ rims. It has 5100's all around with the front set at 1.75". It has the rear Leaf TSB done. All of this was done about a year ago with no vibration problem untill 2-3 months ago. It wasn't very noticeable when it started as at that time as it was much warmer outside.

The vibrations are very minor unless the outside temp is colder than 14F (-10C). There is a resonance type vibration that is felt in the floorboard and steeringwheel that lasts one second, stops for a second, then starts and lasts one second, and so on. It happens in drive, 4th gear, under light acceleraion, coasting in gear, coasting in neutral. It goes away immediately if truck is put into 4WD. It happens when driving in a straight lines and when turning a corner in either direction. It only happens when moving.

The feeling of the vibration is speed dependant. At slower speeds (15-20mph) the vibration lasts a little longer an is a bit rougher. At higher speeds (50mph) it is more of a buzz. I would compare it to the difference between driving over a washboard surface at different speeds. At slow speeds the vibration from the bumps is deeper in tone and you can feel each one of the bumps more distinctly. At higher speeds driving over washboard is more of a buzzing noise.

I have had it into the dealer, but is was unfortunately warmer that day and the problem was less noticeable than when it is cold. I would rather just deal with the problem myself as going to the dealer is quite a hassle.

I have searched this forum for "vibration" and found nothing that was quite like my problem.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem and found a fix.

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Sounds like it could be drive shaft related.

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  4. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    I just had a similar problem, when i was in 4wd nothing worng but when i switched back to 2wd i would get a bad shake that would come and go ever sec or so. I had just put my studs on the week before and had no problems then all of a sudden it started. Come to figure out that there was water in the tires. I dont know if u have changed tires recetly but it fixed my problem hope this helps

5. Jan 17, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    ocattaco

ocattaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks Coke for pointing me to this link. This is the exact problem I have and I now have a much better idea of what it is and how to get it fixed.

6. Jan 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    You're welcome. I trust that you can get it taken care of under warranty. Let us know how it works out for you. Best of luck. :)

7. Apr 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    jackmandu7e

jackmandu7e New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gloria
    maine
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD off road
    I have a 2012 tacoma with a ready-lift 3" leveling kit installed. My vibration problems started shortly after putting it in. Fells like you're going over a light rumple strip at speeds between 10-40 mph.Took it to the dealership,and they could not find anything. They said I would have to take it off in order to try to find the problem!

8. Apr 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    ocattaco

ocattaco [OP] Member

Member:
    I see on here that I didn't update the status after this was fixed on this post.

The dealer found that the driver's side driveshaft transmission output bearing had excessive play. This was found by shaking the driveshaft by hand while lying under the vehicle.

The dealer installed a new differential under warranty. Problem solved.

Sold the truck, so I don't know if the problem came back.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top