1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intro and seeking advice

Discussion in 'New Members' started by zbaldo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    zbaldo

zbaldo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    Hello everyone my name is Ozzy I am a fairly new Tacoma owner and have always admired these trucks. Until now I have only been reading threads on TacomaWorld this seems like the best place for advice and just chat on these vehicles since everyone is pretty mellow.

On the 7th of January, 2012 I purchased my black Tacoma Prerunner 3.4 with the TRD package it had about 151,500. It was hard finding a nice truck with miles under 160,000 I mostly found vehicles with over 180,000 which somewhat turned me off even though its a Toyota. It runs decent and a nice upgrade from my 97 accord. Upon purchase it was missing a few things such as speakers, and skidplate (which I didn't notice until after purchase). It also had an oil leak that had me a bit worried but the truck ran great other than that. One of the things that did attract me was that it had the BFG AT 31x10.5x15.

Since purchase I have noticed and added a few things

I cleaned the throttle body and tightened the valve cover hoping to relieve that oil leak, didn't fix it. I'm not 100% sure its that cover but I will be getting it looked at by my mechanic with the UV light since he gave me the dye to add to the engine oil. I switched the intake manifold gaskets but not the throttle body. After that I had a high idle for about two weeks in which it went away but I got worried that I had damaged my TPS.

I switched to 5100's set at the middle notch with stock coils. My mechanic is awesome as he switched the coils for me since I didn't want to mess with a compressor for free! When he needs a part from the internet he consults me and I believe that is our arrangement. Backyard mech. but with professional tools.
    I switched to the 5125's at the rear since the old ones were shot thus riding like crap. These are meant for a stock ride.
    Much better ride.

I purchased some kicker KS65 speakers and switched my Headunit to an older Sony unit. It outputs decent but I believe there is more static that there should be. Does anyone know if the antenna amp cable should be left out of the wiring or if it will decrease radio quality by being hooked up.

I have also cleaned the headlights with toothpase. It helped but still needs some more work will do that soon but the winds this weekend kept me from it.

I plan to plastidip the grille, emblems, floor trims, and doorhandles.

The advice I was seeking is related to the rear leaf springs as I have a lean and they are pretty worn. I am looking for a replacement and since I have already installed the 5125's I believe I am to be stuck with stock ride height which isn't bad. Reason I stuck to stock height is because I didn't want to have any problems arise from a lift such as driveline vibrations. Does anyone know at what height lift these arise?
    Point is I need new leafs I wanted to know what options I have as far as which company gives a great pack for a decent price. Could I have a lift even though I installed the 5125's already?

Future mods:
    Deckplate + Pro dry filter
    Tranny Cooler
    Tow hitch
    Headlight swap

Thanks for the advice guys.

IMAG0588.jpg
    IMAG0589.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg

2. Mar 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Nice truck. welcome to TW :wave:

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    zbaldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    :DThanks

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    interested as I am in a similar situation.

Nice truck!

5. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    ARE Z-Series Topper, OME 885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports; TRD Quickshifter; TRD Exhaust; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; MetalMiller TRD Skid; jsi's Locker Anytime & ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades (RallyLights Harnesses, Osram 85/80W H4 & Flösser 90W H11 Bulbs); ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod; Interior & Reverse LEDs; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Foam Insulation; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Toyota Bed Extender; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
  6. Apr 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    zbaldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Thanks

I will search through the stickies, I haven't gone through them much but they are very helpful

To Top