1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Introduction and thank you and build thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Plucky was his name, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    Plucky was his name

Plucky was his name [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Reg Cab Taco 4x4 5-speed manual
    ARB Front Bumper, Wet Oakle Seat Covers, Aftermarket Stereo, OME suspension with Heavy Duty Dakar Leaf Springs
    Thank you, Sir!

Cal1630[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    ARB Front Bumper, Wet Oakle Seat Covers, Aftermarket Stereo, OME suspension with Heavy Duty Dakar Leaf Springs
    My initial thoughts are that the new suspension is firmer than stock, but definitely softer than the spacer lift in the front.

The leaf pack is going to be perfect for my means and uses, however, the truck is very nearly level now, so with a moderate payload I will have some squat. Not an issue, I can deal.

How Plucky sits this afternoon —

3A070C30-A9E0-417B-9FEC-C256109799CB.jpg

Cal1630 likes this.
  3. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    All that remains is the alignment, which I’ll try to have done this Saturday. I’m out around Central Texas, and one of my only weekend options for having an alignment done are 4 Wheel Parts. They’ve done me good in the past, and this particular store is pretty thorough, so they’ll likely get the job.

A view from the front —

E7CBB4CC-2798-4F31-80EF-6117EFD535C1.jpg
    FC81654C-59C1-477A-968B-798B68BBB734.jpg

4. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    She definitely sits up taller than before, even compared to the spacers and air bags. Not a bad thing, and in my eyes doesn’t look bad with the 265/75R16’s. Could easily grow to 285/75R16’s if I wanted to when it’s time to get new tires.

Now for the new exhaust. A mixed bag. So far, acceleration is either equal to before or I’ve got more “pick-up” up to 65 mph. However, I know I’ve lost top end pull. This is probably due to the high flow cats, and not the LCE Header. I think I need additional back pressure, but I don’t know how to go about achieving that?

Sound around 2,200 rpm is deep and throaty, subtle and not at all “ricey” in nature.

Perhaps I need to give time for the computer to “learn” the new exhaust? I’m hoping that one of you more experienced gentlemen can clue me in to these new exhaust dynamics.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    hyper15125

hyper15125 Headlight Retrofitting Hobbyist Vendor

Member:
    NJ (609)
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 Taco,‘22 Hybridlander
    Welcome! :hattip:

6. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thank you kindly!

7. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:35 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    So, aside from an alignment, possibly having to live with the change of my truck and where the torque now sits (way down low), I’m very pleased with everything. I have a new understanding of a lot of this suspension stuff, after doing loads of research, sourcing what goes together for a very specific truck, and even being a part of some of the installs. It was worth it, and for now I’m satisfied. We’ll call it satisfied for about five more minutes until I decide on the next mod.

Really wanting to do the freaking URD supercharger. Haha.

austin2009 likes this.
  8. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:35 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  9. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    Oh, one little quibble/question before I forget — it seems that my rear OME shocks are going to be fully extended before all of the rear suspension can fully flex. I don’t do heavy off-roading, but it will be moderate. Is there a solution to this little predicament without having to replace the rear shocks with something with greater travel? Maybe a sort of strap to catch the rear before the shocks are maxed out?

10. Feb 17, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    After putting 300 miles on everything since installation I am more pleased now than I was the afternoon I got back my truck.

(1) I can feel the Header working. Drove on all manner of hills Saturday morning/afternoon and never had to downshift. Not once.

(2) the OME 887’s have softened, even sagged about 1/2”, and the truck sits with the perfect looking amount of rake.

(3) no hand-calculated fuel mileage numbers yet, but anything above the 15-17 mpg’s I was accustomed to are an improvement. When new, and with 265/75R16’s and ARB bumper, my truck would net 22-26 mpg’s. I’ll update the numbers when I’ve got a new baseline.

11. Feb 25, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    So after 500 miles on the new suspension, a proper alignment, and the new exhaust Header and cats breaking in, I’m thrilled with it all. The coils and leaf springs have settled a little (not much) and the ride is soooo much better than stock. It’s so good that I wonder how much better Kings or Fox could even be.

As for the LCE Header, I guess the engine computer really did have to “learn” the new set-up. And I did a lot of maintenance leading up to the installation of the Header and suspension, too. New spark plugs, air filter, MAF cleaned, throttle body cleaned, air/fuel ratio sensor, and oxygen sensor were all done prior.

Now acceleration is smooth, fuel economy is up, and the engine is quieter, apart from increased exhaust sounds between 1,800-2,800 rpm with the engine under load, due to the Header.

Before doing everything, I was getting around 280 miles per tank, or between 14.5-16.5 mpg. I’m at 17-17.5 mpg now, with a heavy foot, and having hauled 1,650lbs through the hills of east Texas for 75 miles on my current tank of fuel. What a difference it all has made.

Just wanted to give the update!

12. Jul 19, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    Update on my OME suspension with 5,000 miles on it: it’s all settled in very nice and the ride is substantially softer than it was even 1-2K miles after install. I approve of this lift, haha. It’s been a long time since I was on stock suspension, but my recollection is that this kit is even smoother than stock.

One thing that concerns me — as I was changing diff, trans, and transfer case fluids this week I noticed that three of the four flange nuts for the leaf spring bracket bolts had begun reversing themselves. I got some 14mm lock washers and added those to the assembly. I’ll be checking regularly to see if that solves the problem. I can’t recall reading from anyone else on here that they’ve experienced the same issue. Just goes to show how important it is to do routine checks around someone’s ride for crap like this. Perhaps I needed lock washers all along and I am only realizing it? No clue.

13. Jul 19, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    Next on the agenda for mods will probably be gears. My Michelins will be due for a change this year or next, and I’ll either be upping to 255/85R16 or 285/75R16. I’m only at 265/75R16 now.

I believe 4.88’s will be appropriate for my truck. My regular cab doesn’t need anything over about 33”, even though with my lift and the clearance from my ARB I could get away with a bit more.

With 4.88 wouldn’t that be a good fit for daily driving and the moderate weekend off road excursions? I’ll at least get back some “performance”.

14. Aug 9, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Plucky was his name

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Central East Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ram Mount mod complete. This a sturdy apparatus, to be sure. The X Grip has to go sideways because of the size of both my phone and phone case (sideways allows putting the phone in and taking it out more easily), but this is a very good product. And I still have plenty of space between the X Grip and back of the steering wheel.

187B45DC-2B09-41E3-BAA3-5378743FEBED.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top