1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPad mini in a 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TuFerLife, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Bazzy

Bazzy Active Member

Member:
    I measured and the iPad case I was using to slide into fits just right in between the AC vent dash bezel you're talking about. Looks like I need to trim it slightly so there's no touching:

2.jpg

3.jpg

2. TuFerLife

TuFerLife [OP] 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '06 Boosted Lifted 4X4 DCSB
    URD MKII Stage 2 supercharger, APR X-1 ECU, DTLT L1 series, Pro Comp 6" lift (stage 1), 20" KMC XD Monsters wrapped in 35x12.50 Pro Comp Extreme AT's, Icon DR coilovers, Icon DR Billet UCA's, Custom Dual exhaust - Magnaflow X muffler to 2 Bassani mufflers with tuned pipes to eliminate drone at 2-3000 RPM, Redline hood struts, Spider Trax front wheel spacers 1.25", Line-X'd 2" nFab nerf bars and Avid Light Bar, Illumination Supply 30" double row spot/flood combo LED light bar, Bushwhacker pocket style flares, 13tw5 in Mr. Marv box and memphis door speakers, URD Short Shifter, TRD Shift Knob Carbon Fiber hood Skewp, AsianAnts FXR projectors
    Is this something you would be willing to make more than one of? Or is it to much of a pain in the butt?

3. Jbbarrette

Jbbarrette Active Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SB
    Just wait until att sees all the data your using with the tether, they'll be changing your plan for you!

4. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    URD MKII Stage 2 supercharger, APR X-1 ECU, DTLT L1 series, Pro Comp 6" lift (stage 1), 20" KMC XD Monsters wrapped in 35x12.50 Pro Comp Extreme AT's, Icon DR coilovers, Icon DR Billet UCA's, Custom Dual exhaust - Magnaflow X muffler to 2 Bassani mufflers with tuned pipes to eliminate drone at 2-3000 RPM, Redline hood struts, Spider Trax front wheel spacers 1.25", Line-X'd 2" nFab nerf bars and Avid Light Bar, Illumination Supply 30" double row spot/flood combo LED light bar, Bushwhacker pocket style flares, 13tw5 in Mr. Marv box and memphis door speakers, URD Short Shifter, TRD Shift Knob Carbon Fiber hood Skewp, AsianAnts FXR projectors
    I work for att, so I'm sure I could find a way to squeak through the cracks. Haha

5. Bazzy

Bazzy Active Member

Member:
    Luckily i'm grandfathered from a blackberry device plan on Verizon.. we get unlimited data :D I have a jailbroken iphone and use MyWi to allow my iPad to access the internet

I'm thinking about making it into an actual kit, I have a feeling some people would like it but not sure there is a big enough demand. I have to get a working prototype first and then think about it. Working on the bezel today

6. bkmcinty

bkmcinty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Black Badges
    I can tell you there is a huge demand for these kits but people are only willing to spend $200-250 and you are going to darn nearly have that in parts so there would be no way to make money......that's why I stopped working on mine I knew that it wouldn't be worth my time to make $50-100 on each one after the amount of time to make them......that's why shops charge $800 to do it

7. Bazzy

Bazzy Active Member

Member:
    I think people would pay a bit more to have an integrated iPad. A half decent double din radio is like $500.. To clarify, I deleted the head unit altogether. I have a volume knob, play/pause, Bluetooth, wireless remote, 4 channel amp, etc.

So I got most of my install complete. I made a little plastic box to house the electronics and modified a Scosche piece to fit. I'm done working on it for the week, my equalizer will be here on Monday so i'll pick it back up then.

IMG_1036 copy.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  8. Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    I personally would pay the $800 for someone like Soundman CA to do my Tacoma *IF* I was near them, or *IF* a person near me could prove they were as good at doing this as the other pro shops I have seen.

9. ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    This makes a lot of sense. So basically you're using the device as a 4 channel high level pre-out and just use a LOC on the back end to go to an amplifier? What unit are you using?

10. youngmc

youngmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Noticed that some of you are talking about jailbreaking your iphone 5 to tether to the iPad. If you have a 5 there is no reason for the jailbreak. Turn on your iPhones mobile hot spot and then search for networks on your iPad and it will show "iPhone". This does not work for any other devices other than the iPad unless you decide to actually pay for the hotspot. You all may know this but just a suggestion for those who don't.

11. 97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    Would this work ?

514450.jpg

12. Bazzy

Bazzy Active Member

Member:
    Yes, i'm using the Scosche LC-4.

13. bkmcinty

Member:
    Fort Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Black Badges
    You're on the same track I was......I had mine looking great with an integrated charger and everything then I ran into issues of how to get it in and out of the dash kit somewhat easily. The hard part is not building the dash kit its integrating it in the truck to make it accessible to remove I wish you the best of luck man!!

14. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    I wish him the best of luck too, because I need one of these!!! :D

15. Bazzy

Bazzy Active Member

Member:
    I see what you're saying about the silver center AC subframe piece giving you problems, so I modified the dock wiring to make a hard right and it clears with no problem. This weekend i'm going to finish it up, so far it looks like it would be pretty easy to make the kit but i'm looking for bigger fish.

When I turn on the truck, the iPad unlocks to the home screen. Then when the truck is turned off, the iPad screen shuts off.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  16. bkmcinty

Member:
    Fort Myers, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Black Badges
    It didn't give me problems at all....my Dremel fixed that real quick ;)

17. Bazzy

Bazzy Active Member

Member:
    Yea I did the same thing, then shortly after realized that I didn't have to if I cut up my brand new docking cable.. So I have to fill it in tomorrow.

So I got everything up and running, I actually added a powered 8" subwoofer under the passenger seat. I don't really like a ton of bass, and it's a perfect match for the new door speakers. I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow once I'm done sanding and filling imperfections. Still undecided on the color, but i'm thinking gloss black like the new dash.

IMG_1295.jpg

18. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    ^^ looking good!

19. DWreck

DWreck Famous Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Debadged, k&n cai, tc uca, billy 5100, led hood lights, redline hood struts, tailgate ez-down, ddm hid heads, Piaa 510 hid fogs, procomp 7089, dunlop fierce mt, cb and ham radios, hideaway strobes, ff front bumper, ff sliders, bed rack,
    Sub'd for future reference.

20. Bazzy

Bazzy Active Member

Member:
To Top