1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy III S?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Rascal737, Sep 19, 2012.

?

which phone would you get and why?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2012.
  1. iPhone 5

176 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Galaxy III S

181 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. Other - state what and why

16 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This thread got me all hot and bothered .

$279 for the 32GB with a 3 year and it cost me some to buy out of my current 3GS contract

2. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I currently have an iPhone 4. I chose it because the only competition at the time was a Droid X. The Droid wouldn't recognize me touching it, so I didn't have a choice.
    Anyway...
    Don't need to swap. My battery lasts longer than any of the Androids at work.
    I don't know how much RAM I have, nor has it been an issue??
    I haven't needed more memory, but that would be nice
    I HIGHLY AGREE ABOUT THE WIRES. You'd think the 5 would at least go with something common like thunderbolt at the least (logistics aside, not sure what it would take to do that). I have a charging cable for a Blackberry Pearl, a transfer cable for my Garmin, and a transfer cable for my Canon SLR - GUESS WHAT APPLE? IT'S THE SAME CABLE, AND IT WORKS WITH EVERY DAMN ANDROID, TOO!!! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!
    At some point I want the phone to fit in my pocket. My brother has an HTC Evo something, and I make fun of him by holding it with two hands against my ear (like a tablet).

I so far don't see a need to get the iPhone 5 over what I have. All it gets me is some speed (which isn't a problem yet) and Siri (I don't need to ask a woman any questions or have her tell me how to drive :D lol couldn't resist)

I don't appreciate how I have to jailbreak all the time just to get some basic features that should be standard - there's room for 5 icons across the bottom, UTILIZE THE SPACE. There's no need to hide the airplane mode/wifi toggle/bluetooth toggle settings, they should be instantly available. I don't like apps that won't let me delete them. I shouldn't need to hack a phone just to access the memory.
    For work, my IT manager hates it because it doesn't play nice with Exchange compared to Android.

On the other hand, the iPhone compatibility support is second to none (which just went to hell with this new plug), the app support is #1, and the hardware itself is solid. The camera is good enough that I leave the SLR home.

Next phone for me? Most likely Android for having the features you don't need to fight to get.
    The real determining factor, though, is something you wouldn't consider - the screen. On an iPhone, it's glass. As a result, I don't need any screen protector, because it doesn't scratch. It looks as new as the day I bought it. I'm not sure if Androids have caught on? (I tried researching, but there's no mention). Plastic screens are crap.

3. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Buy someone's 4 or 4S that they are trying to offload

4. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    2 Androids. Skype?

5. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm all in , I have to buy out of my 3GS contract anyway , and can I buy a used 4S for $279 ?

6. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    CIAGDDS

CIAGDDS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 TRD OR
    If you use a Mac then I would stick with the iphone due to syncing. I had the Samsung S3 for a couple months after having all the iPhones and it just sucks at syncing with a Mac.

7. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    his wife is getting and Iphone

8. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
  9. Sep 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    ^^^lol I was just searching for that vid

Did I get the model name wrong? I probably did. Whatever one he has, it's not the flagship, so he can't upgrade the OS to Jellybean. It's about a year old and runs like a slug he says. :notsure:

10. Sep 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    they use gorilla glass for screens now...

www.gsmarena.com very good resource

11. Sep 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
  12. Sep 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  13. Sep 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM
    Rascal737

Rascal737 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    Yeah, thanks for that link...had a quick browse thru it and it has a ton of info

14. Sep 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    :woot:

While we are at it... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    If you're upgrading, enjoy buying the $29 adapters so you can use your old 30-pin docks. That is if they'll accomodate them. Fucking Apple & their proprietary connectors ... going to render billions of dollars of drop-in docks useless. That they get away with this, that people aren't howling about it just amazes me. Don't mean to rain on your parade or anything. They do make a good product. But it's not without it's problems. Apple's just masterful at covering things up .. especially things like security holes (the exact same thing they blasted Microsoft for doing for years). The fanboy culture just facinates me, though ... because it's amazing the shit they let Apple get away with. Apple could shit on a Trisket, sell it for $100 a cracker, and they'd sell a billion of them to people lined up around the block. It baffles me.

16. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    The dude at the verizon store told me the same thing last month. I couldnt wait though since verizon and HTC had pretty much bricked my Incredible with their last "update" and I needed a new phone so I went with the MAXX. It's nice but the size takes some getting used to. Battery life is excellent.

17. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    :rofl:
    totally agree.

18. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Gotta say I like my blackberry

19. Sep 20, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    apples are for weenies

20. Sep 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    My vote is for the Galaxy. I have a Galaxy Nexus myself and its been great thus far in the 10 or so months I've had it. Had a Droid X before which often shit the bed but one phone wasn't enough to put me off of Android. I'd be open to future iPhones but after being excited about seeing what the 5 would be its not enough to make me switch and was a little disappointed.

Products Discussed in

To Top