1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IPhone coming to verizon

Discussion in 'Technology' started by th3bigk0, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jul 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Ahh...so you have a choice to whether you want the cheaper/slower 3G or the faster 4G service?

If yes, that' not a bad thing. Choices are good. I think anyway (without any details)

2. Jul 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    rob_s

rob_s Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2010 DC SB Sport
    I don't think it works that way. For example, in reviews I read about the HTC Evo, they require EVERYONE to pay a $10/month 4g premium, but 4g does not exist in but a handful of markets. So not only do you not have any choice, but you are required to pay the premium for something that may not even be available to you.

Eventually cell phones will get to a simpler pricing structure and unlimited data usage to go along with unlimited minutes. You will eventually have two choices: unlimited phone plan for $x, unlimited phone & data plan for $x+y. Unfortunately the convoluted pricing structure of the cell industry is designed better than the best grifters could ever conceive and so change will be very, very slow.

The good news is that at least the phone side is happening. I got an email the other day from AT&T that they have unlimited talk plans for $70 (before taxes & fees, of course) which I'll probably bite on pending the reception of my iPhone 4 when it arrives.

3. Jul 4, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Not quite.

Let's say you get the HTC EVO. The HTC EVO works on 4G and 3G. You pay a monthly data plan. But since it is 4G capable, you HAVE to pay an additional $10/month because it is 4G capable.

If you don't want to pay the extra $10 for 4G service, find a phone that is not 4G capable, that will just run off 3G.

4. Jul 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Let me guess...the iphone probably won't be a 3G phone (when it comes to verizon?). Atleast they could offer two different iphones ....for both 3G and 4G.

I want choices!!! :D

5. Jul 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    Viet2100

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    No one has any idea yet. But, I have just been thinking logically. If Apple will make a phone for Verizon Wireless, I think that they both would rather wait for Verizon Wireless' 4G network to be up and running and make a 4G phone for CDMA.

6. Jul 4, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'd assume that's what they'd do anyway, and makes business sense. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

I'm not totally sold on the iphone yet. When our contract comes up, I'd like to get data this time around. I just hate my husbands blackberry, the screen is too small. Plus, if I could use the iphone (and if it has FM tuner in it) could sell my nano. I gotta stop thinking this far ahead!! :rolleyes:

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
  8. Aug 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    When this happens my Apple stock is just going to go up and up and up...............:)

9. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:56 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
  10. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    I like that the iPhone is coming to Verzion - that means the Droids are going to get cheaper and better. I'm not a fan boy of either camp, but I have no need for 30k different calendars or an app to drink a beer. I use my phone as a tool and the Droids that I have seen work great for that purpose.

So - Apple get that iPhone to Verizon ASAP so I can get a Droid cheap (can't buy just one, the wife wants one too... )

11. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    I think the plausibility of it is greater now since android is gaining ground. They'd be smart to act fast...android is getting a lot of hype and the iphone 4 antennagate thing has taken some wind out of their sail. Verizon customers are getting tired of waiting.

In short...if they wait until 2012...that will be a big mistake.

12. Oct 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Smell BS...

13. Oct 10, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    Viet2100

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
  14. Oct 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I'll stick with my Droid X over any iCrap.

15. Oct 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    I have and I phone. It's good but using AT&T I expected better range. It was 2 summers ago now. We were in the ozarks and or service was limited. Where my friends that had Verizon never had a problem. And I have the. Same problem working around Houston. We had Verizon out in Az and it alway performed better than my work phone with Sprint. And I was everywhere in that state. The wife is starting a new buisness that has to do partially with phones. So I'm looking at the HTC 4g. We'll see. We should also save with a new plan. And I'm sure i'm swithching back to Verizon.

16. Oct 11, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    Fuck Apple. I used a Moto Razor for 4 long years waiting for an iphone on Verizon...got nothing. Then the HTC Incredible came out and I jumped on it. Apple has made it very clear that it doesn't want my money, by limiting it's product to a bad network owned by company with horrible customer service. If they had taken advantage of the fact that they had a superior product when they had the chance by marketing it on every carrier they would have sold more phones, and would have a stranglehold on the market. But they didn't, they waited too long. Now there are plenty of awesome smartphones to chose from, and Google is pocketing the money they passed up.

17. Oct 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    X2 but apple want 83% of the money off of every iphone so verizon told them to kick rocks! HTC and any google phone is killing it right now! I have the incredible and love it no problems and the talk to text is great when driving!:D

18. Oct 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    You are basing this off your opinion, because it is surely not fact. Apple entered into a contract with AT& T an exclusive agreement. Do you not think that it has worked out well for Apple and AT&T? Whether you think the network and customer service is any good is purely an opinion. AT&T is a major player in the cell phone market, you don't have to like them, and you can't say Apple didn't want you as a customer. Apple has all the market share they want, heck they can't make them fast enough. When or if Apple goes to another network they will own the smartphone market.

19. Oct 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    From Macrumors.com

Mid-2011 iPhone to Utilize Dual-Mode GSM/CDMA Chip, Skip 4G?
    Monday October 11, 2010 10:08 AM EST; Category: iPhone
    Written by Eric Slivka
    TechCrunch, which offered some of the earliest specific claims of a late 2010 manufacturing run for the Verizon iPhone, now reports that the fifth-generation iPhone due for release in mid-2011 will utilize a dual-mode chip to provide compatibility with both GSM and CDMA network technologies on a single device. The updated model will not, however, support the 4G LTE standard that several carriers are preparing to roll out.
    First things first - the iPhone CDMA model due in January won't support LTE. But here's where it gets really interesting: sources tell me that the iPhone refresh in mid-2011 won't support LTE either. Instead, Apple will produce a dual mode iPhone containing 3G flavors of GSM and CDMA, which operates on all carriers worldwide. If this holds true, Apple won't support the LTE standard until some time in 2012.

The report goes on to note that Apple may be reluctant to offer 4G compatibility until some of the technological bugs have been worked out and deployment schedules allow the service to be extended to cover larger portions of the population.
    Apple simply doesn't want to be the guinea pig on new LTE networks that aren't ready for primetime, and Steve Jobs knows not to trust the hype that's spewed by the carriers on 4G. The truth is that 3G networks have many more years of life, and the transition to LTE will be much slower than the carriers want you to believe (LTE doesn't even have its voice standard fleshed out yet).

A somewhat-delayed entry into the field of 4G devices would not be a new tactic for Apple, as the company similarly elected to offer the original iPhone as an EDGE-only device in 2007, despite the fact that 3G networks were already prevalent in many of its top markets.

20. Oct 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    At&t sucks the sweat off a dead mans BALLS! Its not a opinion its THE FUCKING TRUTH!:eek: FTW VERIZON FTMFW!~
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu8fW7xH8Vo?fs=1

Products Discussed in

To Top