1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Iphone Mirroring

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by theturrible, May 17, 2016.

1. Sep 14, 2016 at 10:15 PM
    qbizzy

qbizzy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    '16 Taco
    That a/v input is cool. I can use the GoPro mount for my tau2 640 flir camera and feed the video into the screen. Viola - thermal vision

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Dec 8, 2016 at 2:21 PM
    ratcityrain

ratcityrain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    OEM Running boards |oemassive headlights | winjet tail lights | led lighting | hid headlight & fogs | oem tri-fold Bed cover | Custom dual JL Audio 10tw3-d4 sub box and custom amp rack | black off road wheels | painted oem grille | jbl door speakers |
    Will it all still work if you are in motion? Also, if you have the external harnesses already plugged into factory harnesses for wiring up a LOC to add amps, I wonder if you still can plug these in

3. Dec 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    Claudiomartinof

Claudiomartinof Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD 6MT
    Hi man could you post exactly which type of cable did you buy? I would like to do this mod to mirror google maps..

Thanks!!!

4. Dec 8, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    Might as well add it to the list of distractions chicks have out here. Fawking lap dogs, applying makeup, cell phones. Actually, what am I talking about, Bay Area chicks are fat and pretentious and don't wear makeup.

5. Dec 14, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    Spicy_Taco

Spicy_Taco Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    $250 for this cable and even more for Android? What the he** :smash:. I can build this for less than $40-50 and then sell it for less than $100. In fact, i'll visit my electronics store and find these parts this weekend.

nevadabugle, Camel89, 0210 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dec 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM
    fs1201

fs1201 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD OR
    Please keep us updated on your DIY solution!

7. Dec 22, 2016 at 11:29 PM
    poopshute

poopshute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro Storm Trooper
    Yes, it makes one of the buttons on your steering wheel a kill switch to override the whole "vehicle must be stopped..." I know a lot of people here don't see the value but with how absolutely shitty the entune navigation is, this device has been a life saver in our 2015 Toyota Highlander (Google maps, waze... whatever you want). The killswitch to allow video in motion is also awesome for the passenger to have FULL access to the touch screen while you are driving. Stuff like Netflix and movies on the screen are all just bonuses. I was so impressed with the features of the the Crux solution that I bought two kits, one for our 2015 Highlander (installed) and one for my 2017 Tacoma (which I hadn't yet purchased yet).

One great moment I had with this device was wanting to watch a football game on the way to our a family gathering. My wife was driving and I streamed the game in the car with full video on the display. Win.

Also, I bought TWO full kits for a total of $256.96 (not including the HDMI to Lightning adapter). So this comes out to $128.48 per kit. I'm sure you can find these kits that low if you search a bit.

Just to be clear, I went with the Crux AVITY-01 KIT and bought the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter separately. Haven't installed this in my Taco yet but seeing how it has the same unit as our Highlander, I'm sure I'll be enjoying it just as much. Just need to find an easy way to route the cable to the wireless iQ phone charging tray area. Good demo of the system here: https://youtu.be/srIRBXpu5aA?t=102

8. Jan 1, 2017 at 10:19 PM
    jdmorales3

jdmorales3 Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4X4 MT
    So I've been looking at the Beat-Sonic mirroring kit for my 2016 tacoma, but I've also been looking into the Crux. Is there any reason why you went with Crux instead I should consider? I have an android samsung galaxy s7 edge and I would also like to somehow adapt my Amazon firestick to the device. Have you installed yours to your tacoma yet?

Thanks!

9. Jan 1, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    poopshute

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    At the time, about a year ago, I was looking for a solution for our 2015 Highlander. My search came up with the Crux solution. I also liked that it had a in motion kill switch. I was able to find the Crux kit for a good deal at the time and ended up buying two (knowing that I would eventually be buying the 3rd gen Tacoma). I had never heard of the beat-sonic kit until reading this thread so I can't give an opinion about their kit. Unfortunately, I haven't installed the crux kit into my Tacoma yet as I can't get myself to tear apart the dash on a TRD Pro that's less than a month old. I probably won't install this kit until a year is up to be honest with you. However, regarding adapting your firestick... with the Crux kit, it comes with a composite to HDMI adapter. What this means is any HDMI device will be able to plug into the Crux kit (including your Amazon firestick). I haven't tried plugging in anything other than our iPhones into the Highlander but I can try plugging in our chrome cast to see how it behaves. If you're interested, let me know and I can give it a shot sometime soon.

10. Jan 1, 2017 at 10:40 PM
    jdmorales3

jdmorales3 Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4X4 MT
    The reason why I bring up the beat-sonic kit is because it looks fairly simple and quick, how's the crux installation procedure? And thanks for the offer that'd be great!! That way I will know if it works for you considering the chrome cast also requires wifi to function?

11. Jan 1, 2017 at 10:56 PM
    nevadabugle

nevadabugle Desert Rat

Member:
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR manual in quicksand
    Subed. I need this for off-roading and using backcountry navigator app. If I can have my topo maps displayed on the head unit while overlanding I am all in.

12. Jan 1, 2017 at 11:07 PM
    poopshute

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Crux was easy to install. Same type of installation as the Beat-sonic if I'm correct. The crux adapter basically goes between two connectors on the back of the unit. Unplug stock connectors and put the crux in it's place and then install the stock connectors to the other end of the crux. You then have to figure out how to route the composite/hdmi cables to where you want them to end up (you're going to have this challenge with any kit you buy). So installation was not hard at all. The hardest part is figuring out the cleanest look for your truck. Chromecast does use wifi so I'm assuming you'll use your android as a wifi hotspot or something?

You can mirror your phone so anything that shows up on your phone shows up on the display (with audio). I literally streamed a college football game from the PAC12 app while my wife was driving. I also use the Google Maps app instead of the one built in to the nav system. As long as you understand this kit does nothing more than mirror your phone (touch screen does not work on the stock display to control phone functions), then this might be the kit for you.

nevadabugle[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 2, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    Stoked4

Stoked4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd sport DCLB (OVtuned)

Did you do this install in your Tacoma yet?
    I see the hander and tacomas radios are different

14. Jan 2, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    poopshute

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I have not yet but the same Crux kit is made to work in both 2014+ Highlander's and in 2016+ Tacomas (JBL included). That's straight from Crux.

15. Jan 3, 2017 at 3:11 AM
    Stoked4

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Ok
    This is definitely something I'm thinking of doing
    Seems to work better (app wise) than swapping out the head unit.
    When it comes to the Apple av adapter would one with a 3 foot cord be better so all that comes out from the back of the radio is a lightning plug?
    I'm not sure how the wires are configured, awaiting the harness

16. Jan 3, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    Stoked4

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Maybe I spoke too soon. If i still need to use my phone even though it's displayed on the head unit why not just use my phone....
    I've also read that with the larger head unit screen the entire iPhone screen isn't mirrored
    Until Apple CarPlay lets you use everything maybe I'll hold off
    Unless there's a better solution than this wire harness and the limited Apple CarPlay .....................................

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  17. Jan 6, 2017 at 5:55 AM
    poopshute

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Here are my reasons:

1.) I didn't want to install a mount to hold my iPhone when I already have a large screen from the factory. Less clutter on the dash.

2.). This really is the best/only option to get iPhone content to display on the factory unit. I doubt we will ever see car play on our currently owned factory units.

If neither of these things matter to you (don't care about dash clutter and are willing to replace the factory unit) then this kit might not be for you.

18. Jan 6, 2017 at 6:20 AM
    Stoked4

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    I understand what you're saying but I think with me I would really like to have the iPhone displayed on the screen but once I want to change what's on the screen I have to go through the iPhone, so I may as well just keep the iPhone that way I'll have the other factory functions available on the screen

19. Jan 6, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    poopshute

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Totally understand. Just an FYI, though. Your factory unit is still accessible. It's simply the audio input method that you select (A/V). You still have access to you all other apps and screens on your factory unit when your iPhone (or whatever) is plugged in. It doesn't hijack your factory deck. Just want to make sure that's clear.

20. Jan 6, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    Stoked4

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Ahhh
    Ok
    This is good to know
    Thanks!