1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iphone users, who is switching to Verizon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by El Tano, Feb 10, 2011.

?

Iphone users: Stay with AT&T or switch to Verizon

Poll closed Mar 12, 2011.
  1. I'll stay with At&t

60 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. I'll switch to Verizon

32 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. Feb 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Obviously your not in the know when it comes to iPhones

get-attachment-3.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment-4.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment-2.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    005Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Tmobiles edge may not be faster than AT&Ts 3G but I honestly can't tell a difference in the speed. I'm still using OS 3.1.3 on my iPhone 3G.

3. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    Fishing Frenzy

Fishing Frenzy JJ

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Bay Area (CA)
    Vehicle:
    Future 2013
    Only the future will tell
    Edge is never faster than 3g. But right on with T-mobile :cheers:

Your iphone need more apps and tweak.

4. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    I got it. Setting it up on I Tunes right now. Need to sell my droid

5. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    I didn't doubt that you had Tmobile. I love your single bar on edge by the way. That thing must be blazing fast ha ha. I may not know everything but I do know you will be able to tell a huge difference between edge and 3G. It's a night a day difference. If you can't tell that then you really don't know anything.

6. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    I also have TMo with a 3gs....i laughed when i saw your 1 bar of service, thats about par for the course...Fn Tmobile blows...only 3 more months with them.

I have 4.2.1 Os, Os3 sucks and alot of the apps are dropping it.

7. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    005Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    only use my iPhone for a phone. Calls and texting. I use my iPod 4 for all the other stuff. Apps, music, videos, soo therefore no need in having apps I'll never use on it.
    Using 3G is only fast data wise. texts and calls are same speed on any device. Edge, 3G, WiFi,

8. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    005Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Yeah they're coverage area is lacking. I had about the same amount of coverage at my apartment with att as I do with tmobile. A couple service bars is about normal. It's the same with verizon soo whatever carrier I use it's about the same. Well OS 3 might suck but it don't suck as bad as a 3G using 4.0.

9. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    005Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Yeah I have 2 or 3 bars most of the time. I do know that 3G is only fast for data. Surfing the web or downloading. making calls and texts are no faster on 3G than edge. Like I said in another post I only use my phone for calling and texting so I couldn't care less if it was running edge or 3g.

10. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    ATT and Android......open source is good. Apple and Verizon deserve each other. Both are controlling and proprietary. Jailbreaking is a joke compared to what can be done with an Android and ROM flashing.....No need for iTunes to do anything either. Entire device can be restored without a PC from an SD card or the cloud...Don;t have to ration use either. batteries are easy hotswapped.

11. Feb 12, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    Can you not upload pics to TW from the iPhone?

12. Feb 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    There are a lot of things you cannot do with iPhone I had one for a few weeks and sold it. try sending anything to another phone via BT or the cloud. Try putting anything on the phone without a PC at all or Itunes.

My issue with the iPhone for the few weeks I had it was R E C E P T I O N and wifi as well.....
    Great computer terrible communication device.

Try using that face to face on their network....sorry both phones have to be on wifi. Try getting all your notifications read without opening a little square. Jailbreaking is great until you need to install a firmware upgrade. And even at that it is very limited and has a lot of rules and limitations still becasue of the hardware.

Android is considered "jail breaking when you chose a developer's custom ROM, or the modem of your choice or the kernel of your choice and all can be done on the fly. Nothing is crippled. All BT features work from OBEX to tethering.

For my wife the iPhone is fine. She doesn't do anything but make calls and the interface is made for a 10 year old. Android is customizable (far more so on ATT and other GSM carriers) than CDMA carriers. I used to carry an Itouch with a Nokia N97 becasue the Nokia browser sucked. so I used the Itouch in WiFi areas. now the Itouch has been relegated to my glove box On my bike I mount the Captivate for the GPS function and music and can actually take calls. ALL at the same time!!

13. Feb 12, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab 4x4
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    I'm mixed...I have shotty coverage and verizon coverage is nicer around here...but still have a year left on contract...Also, you can't multi-task on Verizon, and I do that a lot...grrr...Dunno yet...

14. Feb 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am standing pat as a long time Use of ATT (before Cingular). When all the carriers are using LTE I will have a better idea of who to hang my star on.

It will boil down to who allows me to control how I want to use my device. As far as coverage. All the majors have coverage where I would ever need it. I don;t travel where the buffalo roam. I take issue with Verizons implication that ATT only has service in the Blue areas. The are falsly misleading unaware people. That blue ares is ONLY 3G has double the 3G speeds of Verizons "3G" But they don't tell you that. Edge is everywhere else and is as fast as Verizons. They also don;t tell you you cannot have a conversation while using the network or GPS or anything internet based. They do not sync with Google out of the box.

But the masses don't care about those kinds of things which is why the iPhone does so well other than its become a fad as well and we know where fads end. The iPhone is getting old in the tooth as well.APple needs to update the UI or something soon. Droid is beginning to rise to the surface as a viable alternative.

15. Feb 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    rsincavage85

rsincavage85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Plains Twp. Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Super White SR5
    Verizon already said they are going to cap data for the heavy users that view videos. It was in last weeks newspaper locally.

16. Feb 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    astral

astral On my second taco now....

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
  17. Feb 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That metric doesn't reflect switching. It reflects sales. Some could be new users. I certainly don;t see any lines here at the Verizon store in the Mall.

Iphone is old news. maybe if this would have happened a year ago. Apple sees Android creeping up and had to go to Verizon since they were selling a boatload of droids. the last thing Apple wants is a Major US carrier selling more Androids. Once the Android word gets out amongst the kids and they start comparing feature sets iPhone will be passe'

18. Feb 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4

I dont think the iPhone will be passed at anytime. Sure android may sell more but that's because there's a million compared to one iPhone. A better comparison would be phone makers. If Samsung starts selling more phones then Apple then that's a fair comparison. Just like the computer world. Microsoft vs Apple. Two different companies that you cant really compare. Apple does the hardware and software for them only. Microsoft does the software for many hardware companies so it's a completely different experience.

19. Feb 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am more concerned about more operating systems on the street not BRANDS...The more OS the more applications, the more custom ROMS the more COMPETITION the lower the price of the far more featured device...Even Wozniak said Andoid OS will surpass the iPhone and render the iPhone a niche player for those who just want "press and play" As long as Apple retains the cachet they have they will be fine. I iphone become "out of favor" the whole company will sell far less product because iPhone created the new market and sudden interest in for MACs. Without the iPhone Apple would not be selling as many Macs.

20. Feb 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    Fishing Frenzy

Fishing Frenzy JJ

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Bay Area (CA)
    Vehicle:
    Future 2013
    Only the future will tell
    Well you like the Andoid and others like the iPhone. I know I love my iPhone and don't care much who's bypassing who.

iPhone on tmobile :D

Products Discussed in

To Top