1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPhone5 or Droid Razor Maxx HD

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 95SLE, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    95SLE

95SLE [OP] Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Looking to pick up an iPhone 5 from Verizon next week. I do have some bargaining power over Verizon but I want to see what a Verizon store can offer as opposed to Verizon on line. My last purchase was a simple one on line but Verizon fucked it up big time. Took me 9 hours on the phone and 3 hours in a verizon store to get it working. I did not get the billing streightened out till this December and the purchase was on July 31st.

All I am really shooting for is to have all service charges and upgrade fees waived.

This is what I have to do:
    Add a new iPad3 to the account. Christmas gift to our son.

Upgrade my DroidX to an iPhone 5 with 32gb memory or a Droid Razor Maxx HD and transfer the number to the new phone.

Port my wifes number from Sprint to the DroidX.

With all the associated moving apps around and taking apps off of my wifes iPad and putting them on my son's iPad I think I will be busy. Need to set up and/or move mail accounts as well. This is where the Verizon store can really help, I hope. Another plus is Verizon is winning business from Sprint which is a big deal in the carrier business. The only minus is the amount of work, both Verizon service orders and physicall app work that needs to be completed. And of course teaching my wife how to use a smart phone.

The iPhone 5 will interface better into my Tacoma HU better than the Droid Razor Maxx HD. ;)

The DROID RAZR MAXX HD is actually $50 less expensive than the iPhone.

2. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My vote is for android, but I am very anti apple. I don't like the way they do business and every thing is proprietary. That said either will do what you want it to do so it would be more of a personal preference. The Droid will have a bigger screen, which is a plus for me. $50 cheaper is also a big plus too.

3. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I am sort of leaning that way myself after thinking about it for 2 days.

I like the way the iPhone integrates into the Pioneer HU but I would really miss the Torque app on the Android platform. However my old Droid X would still have the Torque App.

4. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    X2

I like the Android OS a lot more than iOS myself. Android is much more customizable than iOS and a big deal breaker for me is the micro SD card slot that iPhones do not have. I bring pretty much my entire music library around with me on my Galaxy S2 with my 64GB micro SD card. I would have to pay for the 64GB iPhone everytime I upgraded so I could bring all my music with me and have plenty of room for apps. With the micro SD card I can pop it into my new phone and I have all my music ready to go. I mention this since you intend to use your phone with your headunit and I'm thinking possibly to listen to music along with using it as handsfree.

5. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    THX Kyle:
    My Pioneed HU does have a built in SD card reader. Another plus for the Motorola is the built in 32gb in the phone plus the ability to add a micro SD card.

I like the way my wifes iPad operates but I am having major 2nd thoughts about going to an iPhone5.

6. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    if you want ease of use and syncing to the same computer with the iPad, apple is the way to go.

7. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    kmok

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    If he's using a PC he can plug both his iPad and Razr Maxx HD into that computer. Putting music onto the phone is like using a flash drive, you drag and drop it into folder in Explorer. There are other options to do things like that but I usually do the method I just said. You don't have to bother with iTunes at all and you're in complete control of where your music or other files go onto your phone.

8. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    kmok

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    The Motorola will give you tons of storage for music and other media/files without paying a lot for the extra storage. I love listening to music and being able to bring my whole music collection with me.

I would look at each OS to see which you like better and also decide which features of the other are more important to you.

9. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    We really do not sync the iPad to a computer. My wife uses it as a stand alone device. I will look into the advantages of doing this. Easy access to iTunes comes to mind.

THX again Kyle. I have been doing a lot of research and a 64gb micro SD car runs around $50. I looked and Lexar media does not make a 64gb card. :mad:

10. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have the MAXX HD, and the battery life is the big thing for me.

11. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I saw that as well Chris. A very big + in my book as well.

I just hope Verizon is willing to wheel and deal. I sshould be able to save $105 on order and upgrade fees. :pray:

12. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    kmok

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    No problem Tom! I would go with a class 10 Sandisk Micro SD. I have a class 6 64GB Sandisk I got off Amazon.

13. Dec 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I'd say go with Android, but instead of Motorola, go with HTC or Samsung.

14. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I am not a fan on the build quality of Samsung products in general. They seem to break pretty easily.

I do not really have any experience with HTC products.

The amount of bloatware on the motorola product bothers me as well.

15. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    X2

16. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I've had a couple Samsung phones. They seem to feel cheaper due to being entirely plastic, while other manufacturers use a plastic/metal combo. I prefer HTC over Samsung, both quality wise, performance and radio reception. Only downside, if you plan on rooting, HTC phones don't get the goodies as fast as Samsung phones will.

As far as bloatware, almost any phone will have some.

17. Dec 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    THX Jason. Makes the decision easier in some respects.

18. Dec 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    If your a tech geek, go for the Android (although Motorola wouldn't be my first pick). If you want something simple and easy to use, get a iPhone.

I have a Galaxy S3 and it doesn't feel cheap at all.

19. Dec 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab

Isaac:
    I have been doing a lot of research and the Galaxy 3 keeps popping up. When I look at it and read reviews from sources I trust it keeps popping up as a top pick. Does it take a lot of abuse from the day to day use?

In my past 3 jobs I took care of cell phones for the companies I worked for and Motorola always seemed to perform better. My current phone is a Motorola and I had to replace it due to it just stopping when playing music. I firmley believe it was a problem inherent in the upgrade to the operating system because it always worked properly until the upgrade. When the OS was upgraded a second time the problem went away.

Thank you for your input.

20. Dec 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    I've had the phone since the day it came out and I've only dropped it twice with zero damage. I do have a case on on it, though, a Spigen Ultra Thin Air case to be exact.

I'm completely satisfied with it. Its damn near perfect out of the box, but root it and a whole new world opens up in your hands :D

My advice to you, go to a store and play around with phones until you find one you like best. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the S3, though. The iPhone is a solid phone, but very limited in what they can do, even after you jailbreak them.

Products Discussed in

To Top