1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ipod/aux jack/usb power sounds like poop

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cactuscorn, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn [OP] Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    my ipod is plugged into the factory 6 disc stereo aux audio port. i get a noticable amount of power, bass and volume loss when i plug my ipod's usb power cord into a 2 dock 12v DC adaptor w/ usb port, all plugged into the right side DC outlet under the dash of my 2010 taco. as soon as the cord touches the ipod housing, dont even have to fully engage it, this is present. whats up with that? ive tested the cord by replacing it with a direct 12v DC plug and its the same. save me oh wise electronics geeks! pardon the exposed cords. this is just temp till i figure out how to solve the issue and how i wanna route everything. it also makes removal easy.

ps: the garmin dash mount is a winner! doesnt move a mm. thanx for the tip folks.

IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg

2. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I'm not familiar with the ins-and-outs of iPODs, but I know that audio can be sent down the USB cable. I wonder if when the usb connector is plugged in, the iPOD lowers the headphone jack level (e.g. down from a headphone jack to a line-out jack which is no longer an amplified signal). That may be by design or the iPOD may be "confused" because both the USB and headphone jack is plugged in.

Just some thoughts. Does it work ok if the usb is unplugged?

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    mich3210

mich3210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Not sure if this would be the case. I plug my iPhone into my computer at work all the time to charge it while I'm listening to music and I've got no problems what so ever.

4. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    running the AUX cord right next to the other cords may be causing noise. I would try separating the cords to see if that helps.

5. Oct 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    cortez_a

cortez_a Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Colorado
    What is your output amperage on your car chargers? If the USB output on your splitter is less than 1amp its not strong enough to actually charge the iPod. If it is less, it may be drawign power from the iPod causing it to loose volume and bass.

Just a theory though.

Products Discussed in

To Top