1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IPOD "Near CD quality"

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Dust Devil, Mar 29, 2007.

1. May 3, 2007 at 1:29 PM
    keynote22

keynote22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I dont think you will tell the difference from 128 to 192 to a cd in a truck cruising down the highway.

I can tell the difference between my 128 ipod stuff and a cd on my home system which is mostly linn and an arcam cd player. Is it huge? Not really. Some depth is lost and some stuff gets a bit muddled. Its not like there is a hiss or something. My wife cant hear the difference on the home system but I can on some stuff that has a lot of mixing or processing.

The benefits of an mp3 player way WAY out weigh the downside of quality. If you are concerend about it then record all your disks at 192 and you are good to go. Getting an entire collection at 192 or better from limewire is another matter and not likely.

2. May 3, 2007 at 2:25 PM
    keynote22

keynote22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    here ya go. this kind of music is the best to hear/judge sound quality because not a lot is going on and it has a lot of processing to sound so clear.

256kbps = 2.2 mb file size CD quality

192 kbps = 1.7 mb 70% cd quality

128kbps = 1.1mb file size 50% cd quality

96kbps = 860 kb file size a.m. clock radio from a garage sale quality

very hard to tell a difference. When he says "once in a lullaby," you lose some reverb from the 256 to the 96 and a little of his breathing. It also picks up a slight raspiness. Depth is a subjective term but a lot of that is gone as well. You'd need to have at least component set of computer speakers or good head phones to listen to it. If they are standard speakers, it will be very difficult to hear a difference.

3. May 3, 2007 at 8:17 PM
    Steve762us

Steve762us Well-Known Member

Member:

I finally got the Dension IceLink working. I used iTunes to convert my mp3s to AAC, using 128kb/variable bitrate...sounds pretty good, tho I swear somehow the upper mids/lower treble got a bit more emphasis, on some cuts. I fit about 25 hours of music on a 2GB (1.7 gig useable) Nano, using this compression. I'd recommend it, and while I'm not a cork-sniffer, I have a pretty good ear.

4. May 8, 2007 at 9:55 AM
    Dust Devil

Dust Devil [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I finally picked up a 30G ipod....I am really happy with my decision!!

Sounds really good, and talk about cool, all my CD's at my fingertips.

SOund quality is superb when run through my Alpine 9885, the heat unit controls the ipod in a very clear easy to understand way.

Products Discussed in

To Top