1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ipod Selection

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Capita, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    Capita

Capita [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Well My Samsung mp3 player died right before Christmas. I always wanted an ipod because of ease of use, storage, itunes, etc. So now i'm in the market for an Ipod. I don't want an Iphone or an Ipod shuffle. I been eying the 32gb Ipod touch and it looks decent. My brother has a 16Gb (or maybe 8GB) Nano and really likes it. I want to get the best bang for the buck becuase I want to keep this for a long time. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Ipods so I would love to have all your suggestions. What Ipod should I get and why? Thanks so much for your time.

2. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:10 AM
    maconhurler

maconhurler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    04 4wd v6 sr5
    Deckplate Mod, Catz Fog lights, Roll Top Tonneau Cover, Pioneer Premier 800prs HU, 10" Kicker L7, Kicker 5 1/4 components, Polk dB 5x7s, Oznium superflux puddle lights and bed lights
    Are you 100% sold on getting an Ipod? I have a Sony a726 and I love it. Easier to use than Ipod and sounds substantially better. Got my 8gb from ecost.com for 70.00.

[​IMG]

3. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    How much music do you have now? How much do you plan on adding in the future?

I would think that SIZE is the key. If you get something too small, you'll grow out of it eventually.

The new nano's are really cool. A few months ago, I bought a new nano to replace my 5 year old nano. These new nano's are cool with FM radio in it, video camera, and pedometer. This is my work-out ipod.

I also have a 120gig Classic that stays in the truck. WAY OVER KILL (size) but I was replacing a 80gig that was stolen. You can't even get a 120gig anymore.... the size capacities keep getting large and larger every generation they make.

The Touch is neat...but I think with that much capability and cost - I'd personally get a phone that does all that stuff (versus just an MP3 player).
    I'm hoping someday the iphone will be within Verizon's network sometime maybe. ;)

It all depends on what you want to do with it.....how much room you'll need (and grow into) and how much you wanna spend.

4. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    Capita

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Yeah I'm pretty sold on the ipod becuase a lot of local stores carry them. Not really fussy about ordering away. I do have a lot of cd's I would like to transfer onto the machine and I would also like to purchase some more to add. Itunes seem pretty neat for that. I like to have the machine for a long time as well. The samsung only lasted for 1.5 years at best. I know Walmart has a 32 gb touch for under 300cdn. I'm not sure how much the nanos were. But its a pretty hard decision

5. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    that perfectly sums it up. it all depends how much music and videos you want to put on. however much you have, double it and thats how much space you should be looking for.

i first had a 4gb mini back in the day and i thought id never fill it. then i said the same thing with a 30Gb, and im at about 60Gb on my 80Gb right now

6. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:00 AM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers

well if your looking for long lasting, i wouldnt recommend the ipod. ive never had an ipod that lasted more than a year (partly because i use mine 24/7 so i run it into the ground. however, i do get a free new ipod every year and whatever problem arises, cant be fixed so i get a new one under warranty)

7. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    How much did you use your current mp3 player and how much do you think you would use a new one with all the bells and whistles. I have a 16gb touch and it is cool and all but after the first couple of months all I used it for was a mp3 hook up in my car.

8. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    While it may not last under your 24-7 use- Getting a free iPod every year or so seems like Apple backing up it's product...I don't know if any other company that will replace their players once a year for free just from being used...

9. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    Capita

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I'll be using it daily for sure. Always be using it while driving and on holidays and stuff. The Samsung player did get used a lot.

10. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    dmac11

dmac11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '06 2x4 AC
    Upgraded Head Unit w/Aux jack : De-Badged : Black Emblem : x-runner Rims : Seat Covers : Optima Battery : AC Inverter (aftermarket) : Full time 12v : Weather Tech Front Mats : Scanguage
    I don't think the Touch is the best bang 4 your buck. The new nano's have a camera on them witch is cool i guess. I vote for just the classic model. My feelings are the same with my cell phone, I buy a phone for talking not to surf the net, etc. If you are buying a Ipod its for music not to play games or whatever.

I have heard, and may be wrong, that some new models also do FM radio. That might be a function i would use, but since i use my ipod mainly in my car its not a dire feature.

11. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    I have a nano, an iTouch, and just got an iphone for CHristmas.

Here is my opinion.....I really like my nano b/c of the size. The new one, like someone mentioned earlier, has a ton of new/cool options that are appealing. If I were just getting an iPod I would go with the nano. BTW my nano is almost 4 years old and I have never had a problem with it. My 11 yr old has been using it for 2 years and its still going strong.

I have had my iTouch for around 2 years. I got it b/c I got a GREAT deal on it and it was the new cool thing to have. I use my in the gym quite a bit and when my hands get sweaty, it doesn't respond well. That and for some reason it didn't respond to when I used my thumbs. I guess I have alien thumbs!!! I ended up getting a timex ironman icontrol watch that controls it when I'm in the gym. Another negative is that its also bulky.

The plus side on the itouch is that when not in the gym it is easy to use. I had it in my Tacoma with the USA SPEC and in direct control mode it is simple to use on the fly.

Not sure how many GB's the nanos come in, but like I said, I personally would go with that one. Hope this helped

12. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I got a 8gb touch (3rd gen) for christmas, love it!

13. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    The touch is AMAZING!!! It's like having a mini laptop in your pocket. You can listen to music, watch video, check email, surf the web, download and play games (most of them cost 1 to 5 bucks each). You can even rent movies or tv episodes, and purchase music right on your touch using your wireless Internet connection. In fact, I'm in bed typing this on my touch right now!! You can get a touch here in Canada for $200 which is only $50 more than the nano. It is by far a better device than the nano. I've had mine for 1.5 years with no problems. The nano is great if you want something smaller to mostly listen to music. The nano does have a camera but it only takes video and no still pictures for some strange reason and it's low resolution (0.3 megapixels). I have 16gb which is fine for me. I keep a big chunck of my library on it and change it once in a while.

Cheers.

14. Dec 26, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    my gf just got the 32gig touch... its pretty cool.. makes me want an iphone, but unforunatly i just signed another contract with verizon and i don't have the money for one anyways :(

my 32gig classicgot stolen so i am in the market for one too... preferably another 32gig or larger. just so broke... anyone got a used one? :D

15. Dec 27, 2009 at 2:01 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    I've had my 30gb ipod since 02 and its been fine. Only thing I had to do earlier this year was change the headphone jack which was only $40 and was super easy to change. Got the part online.

16. Dec 27, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    Capita

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I will head to the store after to see if any deals are on the go. I'm starting to like the bonus features on the Touch. I'll go price them and probably go that route.

17. Dec 27, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    my daughter got a Nano for Christmas. can't figure out how to get itunes to download but besides that she is having fun with the video recorder and the FM channels.........our family stays behind the times usually.:eek:

18. Dec 27, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Whatever you decide....

Before purchasing at your local stores...search online. You can find even better deals online if you're willing to wait a few days for shipping.

There are also USED ipods out there just about everywhere. Apple sells reconditioned ipods/touches with warrantees (I think).

If you buy a used one (depending on where you buy it from), make sure you request the serial number prior to purchase. Check with Apple and http://stolen911.com/

19. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    Capita

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    excellent tip. Thanks a lot Janster!

20. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    ExpoSpy

ExpoSpy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Temecula
    Go with the ipod Touch. It's a mini computer...but make sure you get the 2nd gen or 3rd gen touch...I use that as a computer @ school all the time and contrary to popular belief you don't have to buy your songs on iTunes you can use sites like Legalsounds.com where the songs are only .09!!! Good luck with your search/decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top