1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IPOD volume problems

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacomania, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jan 19, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    tacomania

tacomania [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey all,

I have just purchased a 2010 V6 4X4 auto access cab and I am having a problem using the IPOD using the built in Aux input. While the volume is fine for the regular radio & CD , when I plug in my IPOD the volume is substantially lower, I am talking I need to put it up to 50+ to be the same volume as ~30 on a CD. I tried multiple wires and several different IPODs to try to isolate the problem and unfortunately given the results of these tests it appears it has to be something with the truck's audio system.

Anyone else have this problem or heard of it?? Any idea what could be wrong or how to fix it?? As this truck is brand new should I contact the dealer??

2. Jan 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    I don't have a solid solution for you, but if it were me, I woukld go to the taco lot and try it with a couple of others see if they produce the same effect. If they sound fine, tell your service dept to fix it

3. Jan 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    No issues with mine. I don't use an IPOD, but I use a Zune. Same concept. I do have to turn the volume all the way up on my Zune, but the sound is fine, even when listening to podcasts, which generally have weaker sound qualities.

4. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    tacomania

tacomania [OP] Member

Member:
    Ya tried all the easy solutions (i.e. Volume on IPOD, cord issues, etc).

heading to the lot sounds look a good try but def a pain as the dealership is really far from my house and I work in the opposite direction so I am never near there.

Maybe I should just give the service department a call

:(

5. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    I've got a couple of cd's that react the same way, especially cd's i burn myself. it has to do with the type of file that the music is. on your ipod try a different genre, list, albums, etc... to see if you get the same on all. if it reacts the same way on all, the ipod is turn up, cord is plugged in all the way at both ends, make a call to the service department.

6. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    tacomania

tacomania [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks Jamesglynn,

Probably should have mentioned that too, I tried my IPOD and my roommates, with both songs I bought directly from Itunes, ones from cds, etc.

I guess it may be time to call the service department:confused:

7. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    BravesFan

BravesFan The MOST Badass Offroad Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brentwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Super rock crawler
    Thats how mine is, i heard thats just how they are

8. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    boarderknight13

boarderknight13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OffRoad
    I have a 2010 Tacoma and I am experiencing the same problem with the AUX input. The sound level is severely reduced. Its really frustrating.

9. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    My '09 is the same way. I used a program called AACGain (ReplayGain) to adjust the volume on each track. Really helps with old versus new CDs. Newer CDs are mastered with the volume levels real high, whereas older CDs were not. My goal in using AACGain initially was just to fix the sound levels between tracks, but I found a side benefit of not needing to adjust the volume coming from a radio station anymore.

10. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    tacomania

tacomania [OP] Member

Member:
    ya super frustrating indeed :(

Got an IPOD last year and was super excited to finally get to start using it, but it is so low that it is almost not worth it. Wish there was something to do. If I hear anything I will def update all of you that are having the same problem

11. Jan 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    X1, crank up the volume on the iPod.

12. Jan 19, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    some songs generally have a lower volume setting imbedded into the song, which has a direct correlation with the bitrate of the song, so, go into itunes, click edit at the top, go to preferences, then under the playback tab, make sure the "Sound Check" box has a check in it, this option will have itunes check all your songs and make sure they are at a suitable volume, once the whole process is done, plug in your ipod and let itunes update the ipod..

hope this helps/works, let me know :)

13. Jan 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    There was this link from another, previous post.
    Does it work for an ipod?
    I have no idea, but here it is anyway in case you want to try.

TOYSC1-HONSC1 Audio level.pdf

14. Jan 20, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    I've got the same thing with my aux input. Gotta turn my player all the way up and often run the HU vol near max depending on what I'm listening to.

Just figured that's how it is, one of these days I'm planning on making a little box with a 1/8" line amp and a USB power output that'll run off the lighter socket. Small circuit board is all it'll take (amp gain/power will be low since it's just a line level booster, not a power amp) and it should all fit in an altiods box with all the plugs. Just gotta dig up my old EE books and refresh on how to wire up an op-amp, also gotta find out the output volts of my mp3 player and what sort of range the HU is looking for to size the range for the amp gain.

That is, unless I replace the HU first....

15. Jan 31, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    oghwga

oghwga Member

Member:
    nj
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 2wd sb
    it's the Toyota aux port that is the problem. I have my Sirius plugged in there and you lose half the volume. I'm just going to upgrade the HU in the spring and the problem will be solved. It is NOT your Ipod.

16. Jan 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    i had this problem but solved it by going to itunes and cranking up the volume on the songs that are really quiet

17. Apr 30, 2010 at 1:41 AM
    HI Tacoma

HI Tacoma New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Just got a 2010 double cab and had the same problem with the aux input volume/quality. I checked the " Sound Check" box in Itunes as recommended and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. The volume and sound quality are a lot better. The music now sounds like CD quality.

18. Apr 30, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    Kernel

Kernel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 6sp Manual
    5100's all 4 corners, front at .85 with Eibach Coils, Rear TSB w/AAL, TRD Catback Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry S, Duratracs, redline hood struts, maglight mod, weathertechs
    If you don't mind a small accessory, get a Boostaroo. It's a small battery powered amp. It more than doubles the output(went from max volume to ~35 highway), been using it for almost a year with pleasant results. Got my cousin one to run in her Honda Civic as well. Great product.

http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

19. Apr 30, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver access 4x4, that'll never be done
    switched rear-view camera, custom access cab bench, tonneau cover, custom bike rack in bed, extra d-rings, de-badged, mag lite mount, weathertechs, bed lights with 3-way switches, rear spring TSB, ultra gauge, after market hitch, cab/hitch mounted canoe rack
    same issue with mine, i work out of my truck all day and generally am playing Pandora on my iphone, but its so damn quiet I can't even hear it if im on the highway... my only real solution is aftermarket head unit

20. May 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 2.7L SR5 5spd, 4x4
    5100 set to .85 w/ rear TSB, 2012 Rear-view Mirror, Grillecraft, Team Trails FJ Wheels, TPMS canister, Rear headrest delete, Rear console delete, Valley Hitch, Frame undercoat, $2.99 Tailgate hose clamp lock, Avid light bar, 4x4 lighted switch ala Biceman.
    The Aux port is weak and so is output/song volumes vary. I listen to ipod on 40-50 and radio or CDs 25-35 range. It helps to remove the volume limiter on the ipod if enabled under general > playback

Interesting, I will also try the sound check thing in itunes and see how that goes.

To Top