1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IPT Valve Body finally installed

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bowhun2r, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Feb 9, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Glad a have a manual lol

2. Feb 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    19 - GX-460
    I wouldn't say hard, but time consuming. Follow the videos especially getting the tranny up to temp. John's video on disassembly/assembly was key. Probably watched it a dozen times and had my laptop under the truck while I was doing this.

My only issue looking back was underestimating the amount of fluid that drained out over night. Knowing that now, just ensure you fill the tranny up appropriately and then let it drain off (as shown in the the video). I was more concerned about breaking something so I took extra time on every step. You definitely get a nice sense of accomplishment from doing this project as well as the results of the project (at least in my case).

Good luck

Biscuits and Torspd like this.
  3. Feb 9, 2016 at 6:42 PM
    Nick'sblue4x4

Nick'sblue4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    08 speedway blue TRD sport
    Supercharged, completely upgraded sound system, DVD players, camper shell, police scanner
    Question... Why do you have to get it up to temp to change the valve body? I thought that was only for checking the fluid and or making sure it's full... Also is it a big improvement in acceleration with the supercharger?

4. Feb 9, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    Nick'sblue4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, completely upgraded sound system, DVD players, camper shell, police scanner
    Also... How long did it take to get it out and put it back in? Labor time, not waiting for the new part to come in

5. Feb 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    bowhun2r

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    19 - GX-460
    If you are going to change the valve body then you are going remove the pan to get to it (thus draining it). So when you reinstall the valve body and attach the pan you will need to refill with tranny fluid. The instructions explain how to do it and since there is no dipstick you have to follow the procedure to ensure proper tranny fluid levels.

Acceleration within the same gear was the same. Shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 is where I felt the mod. Very quick lock up compared to stock. Just understand that quick lock up was also evident at slower speeds/less throttle position. The wife really didn't appreciate the slight jerk while going from 1-2 all the time. It did bother me a bit during heavy stop-n-go traffic, but not to the point where I was unhappy with the final results.

total time excluding shipping back-n-forth... Two days for me. Doing it again I could probably get it done in a single long day. Figure I had at least 1-2 hours of watching video, and then comparing it to what I was seeing laying on my back looking up at the tranny.

Biscuits likes this.
  6. Feb 9, 2016 at 7:07 PM
    Nick'sblue4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Ok cool! Should be fun! My only problem is mine has a shudder now and I'm afraid they won't be able to rebuild it making it even more expensive...

7. Feb 10, 2016 at 3:54 PM
    Nick'sblue4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    Ok so i have some questions and the sales department isint emailing me back. Does it shorten the life of the transmission? And what else have you done to your truck other than the supercharger and itp valve body?

8. Feb 10, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The upgrade increases the life.

Biscuits and Lucario Runner like this.
  9. Feb 19, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    Nice! Just found and read. Thanks for the write up. Been considering but waiting till summer vacay to allow a week for truck to be down as its my DD.

10. May 27, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    Nateclimb

Nateclimb Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    15 Inferno Pro SC'ed
    I know you sold the truck but, wondering if you had some thoughts on the longer term use of it.

Cheers.

11. May 27, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    bowhun2r

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    19 - GX-460
    IPT mod negates the sloppiness (which also causes heat) shifting between the gears when WOT. Should mean better longevity. Granted... if whoever owns it now is doing WOT all the time there will be other parts of the drivetrain getting more stress. Stop-n-go traffic it was just a bit lurchy (sp??) for my taste. I now have my 4Runner with the Magnuson S/C (basically the same S/C as the TRD S/C) and I didn't do a valve train mod to the tranny. I just don't do WOT pulls with it. The few times I did WOT pulls the shifting was decent, nothing like the IPT mod though.

Nateclimb[QUOTED] and Biscuits like this.
  12. May 28, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    Damn I watched that video twice

13. May 29, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    Nateclimb

Nateclimb Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    15 Inferno Pro SC'ed
    Good to know, thank you for the feedback. I have been looking at the HD Nomad VB. This truck is my first auto I don't know much about upgrades to an auto.

http://z25.f5a.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/HD-Nomad-Valve-Body-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Products Discussed in

To Top