1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Allstar780, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    JHannibal

JHannibal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4X4
    It's 100% live but you have to use it Mon-Sat 8-4 I think eastern time. It's really solid but has specific hours.

2. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    Toywoodsguy82

Toywoodsguy82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver DCSB TRDOR
    Body Armor front and rear bumpers Method 703 Wheels Falken wildpeak AT3’s Ironman Foam Cell Pro kit
    Ok. Well then something has changed since I used it last 3 months ago...

3. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    JHannibal

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4X4
    I can't speak on that but I know for a fact it works during their business hours and the person was very knowledgeable and helpful.

4. Nov 15, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    Toywoodsguy82

Toywoodsguy82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver DCSB TRDOR
    Body Armor front and rear bumpers Method 703 Wheels Falken wildpeak AT3’s Ironman Foam Cell Pro kit
    well when I went to their office... you would send in a live chat request and it would be sent to an email address and they can sent a response via email that will show up in the chat screen if you choose to keep that window open that long.

JHannibal[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 15, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    mandog

mandog Lesser-Known Member

Member:
    Race City, USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WD Off-Road Quicksand Overland
    I’m sure it maybe is live or it can only tolerate so many queries before it defaults to a simple contact form, but all I know is every time I have gone to their chat, it has asked me to fill in name, email, subject line and message. Kinda like.. an email, right? And that’s exactly where I’ve received my responses at. Not live, and sure, within adequate time, but hardy a conversation by my standards.

I’ve got 100% love and support for this company and want to see them gain a following. I’m salty right now because I’m trying to rectify what’s probably my own mistake in ordering the wrong spring load, and I don’t want to be mid-install when I find out something unfortunate like a thread is too short, or a u-bolt is too long/wide, etc.

I guess I’ll pick up the phone and call next time. I just kept hearing talk of this chat and was having no luck with it. Thanks for the info on it occurring during usual business hours. That’s helpful to keep in mind when those late at night realizations hit me, lol. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

FashTaco and hyrule_trd like this.
  6. Nov 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM
    Vst

Vst IG:@vehiclesupportedtravel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kodak, TN
    Vehicle:
    18’ Access cab TRD OFRD 4x4
    Thanks for some insight guys ill probably try the live chat tomorrow for some questions before i order. Also are you guys re using the bushing for the leaf packs like it says. I’m thinking if they need to be used ill just order new then install

hyrule_trd likes this.
  7. Nov 16, 2020 at 10:52 AM
    JHannibal

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4X4
    Just in case anyone was curious I just used live chat a few minutes ago to ask a couple questions and It was live and worked correctly. He told me the 2.5" coil is slightly shorter than the 3" coil that is pretty much the only difference so I was wrong they are not the same coils. However you can adjust both to get taller or shorter lift it just depends on the coil you have for how stiff it will be.

ShawZ and hyrule_trd like this.
  8. Nov 16, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    I probably should check to see which one I have. I ordered before the two choices and don’t remember if they showed to spring number in the kit. Not that it really matters, I got 3” in the front right now.

9. Nov 16, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    ShawZ

ShawZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    N. NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Ironman FCP Stg 2 FN f(x) AT3W 285/70/17 RSI SmartCap
    Echoing some comments here. I've also had live chat work great and actually be "live". I believe I dealt with "John".
    Appreciate the clarification around coil springs. Seems like there is more concern/confusion around their leaf packs vs the coils! Hopefully we will see more feedback on this thread as it seems more kits are selling recently!
    Cheers!

10. Nov 19, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    mandog

Member:
    Race City, USA
    Vehicle:
    To hopefully consolidate and expound upon this matter on Ironman 4x4’s performance vs constant REAR LEAF SPRINGS, I’ll contribute the following information. Note, I cannot supply anything towards the differences of the perf. vs constant front shocks or final lift heights.

Regarding constant load vs performance load REAR LEAF KITS, and the commonly encountered issue of rear end sitting up too high due to not enough weight on the constant load leaf packs, I’ll begin by quoting directly from their page:

“... a choice of two progressive leaf spring packs, either a "performance" leaf pack catering to an additional 440lbs over stock load or a constant load leaf pack designed to carry between 400lbs to the GVM of the truck.”

So in effect:
    Performance leaf pack — factory weight to 440 lbs of additional load
    Constant load leaf pack — 400 lbs to say, 1200 lbs. of additional load*

* For more information on where that constant load number comes from, see bottom of post.

==============
    SELECTING LEAF KIT
    ==============​

Now, I just had my truck weighed and it came in at 4900 using a truck stop CAT scale. That to me says I’ve about 450 lbs of loaded weight, either in installs, gear or modifications.

So, I of course selected the constant load leaf pack like others I read about who have RTT’s or Hardshells + builds similar to mine had done. All of which, having likely been at the lighter end of these figures, experienced extreme rake in the rear end from being oversprung.

(If you’re wondering about the discrepancy between weight figures, I had asked this question post-ordering and had initially estimated my total installs to come to 350 lbs.)

STOP!
    At this point, most of you who are at or below 350 lbs of added weight load can probably just go ahead and select the performance weight springs and be done with it.

But if you’re like me or any of the other’s who over-estimated their weight load, read on to see what @ironman4x4 had to say about the removal of leaf springs from the constant load leaf kit.

=====================
    CONSTANT LOAD LEAF REMOVAL
    =====================

Maybe some of you had or are trying to avoid an experience similar to this:

Sorry to laugh at your expense @FashTaco, but your honesty provided this thread with probably one of THE funniest comments and actually, one of the most spot-on observations.

It’s true, as of Nov. 2020, there is no price difference between the constant and performance leaf springs despite the constants coming with two additional leafs. So, if they’re out of stock in the performance and you’re comfortable with a leaf removal, and you don’t have a 4-story drop-in camper, there’s the final option of leaf removal.

With regards to changes in lift, there are simply too many variables to comment on, but if you ....incoming plug......visit my build page, I’ll share what I encounter and learned post-install.

=========
    NITTY GRITTY
    =========
    As per the technicians from Ironman,
    - If you are to remove ONE leaf spring, it should be the third from the top
    - If you are to remove TWO, then it should be the third and fifth from top

They recommend 3rd and 5th so you do not leave any gaps in the bundle.

Take note, it is HIGHLY LIKELY that upon removal of any leafs, the center pin may not have enough thread to securely fasten the nut and you will need to source a new pin from a hardware store.

I hope this helps, and will also mimic the sayings of others that @ironman4x4 has great customer service and you should discuss these options personally with one of their qualified technicians. :thumbsup:

* The GVM or Gross Vehicle Mass is the weight in which a truck can carry, including its own curb weight. Most factory curb weights for 3rd gen V6 DCSB’s are around 4400 lbs, with a payload capacity of roughly 1200 lbs. That to me equals the stated 5600 GVM of most Tacomas. In other words, for loaded weight, the constant load suspension leaf kit is meant to handle additional loads between 400 and 1200 lbs (GVM less the trucks curb weight).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Reedo311, poncer, ShawZ and 4 others like this.
  11. Nov 19, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    FashTaco

FashTaco Jungle Asian

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR 6MT DCSB <- 2018 TRD SPORT 6MT ACLB
    Great summary dude! And feel free to laugh at my expense, I was laughing too haha.

I was 5,200lbs on the scales before I ordered the constants and that weight was before I even installed my sliders.

How many leaves did you end up pulling and how much lift did you net in the rear?

12. Nov 19, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    mandog

Member:
    Race City, USA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, your reluctance to initially post a picture paints the, “oh god, what have I done” scenario perfectly. :D

I got hauled down to Florida for a miracle in November attempt at crossing the Gulf Stream.. so no install for me as of yet.

Parts have arrived and just gathering all the intel I can before I start jacking and taking things apart. Will certainly update when I’m back and have completed it. :thumbsup:

FashTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 19, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    mandog

Member:
    Race City, USA
    Vehicle:
    I think this is a major point of contention since Ironman previously dealt mostly with land cruisers and big, bulky overlanders. The fact that you are near the TOP of their spec rating might signal that there will likely either be a revision to their lift estimates & weight load specs or a total overhaul to their kits for lighter weight vehicles. thanks for your valuable intel to the ongoing conversation.

Edit: I’d also like to point out this is in reference to an ACCESS CAB, which comes in at roughly 100 lbs LIGHTER than most double cabs!

14. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    ShawZ

ShawZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    N. NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    @mandog Super Helpful post!! Thank you!!

I've been watching this post and the reports of 6-7" of lift in the rear have me a bit nervous! I have been trying to track down further unofficial information. Your post provided what I thought I was seeing. I pulled a couple screen/snap shots of installation videos & internet phots specific to the Ironman rear leaf packs.

I found the following, which has convinced me that if my current leaf pack (constant load with 3rd from top removed) was still too much, I would remove the 5th leaf also. Bummer to see that the center pin doesn't have sufficient threads to be reused. Always something.

Here are my leaf packs as delivered, before 3rd leaf removal: Again Constant Load from Ironman
    IMG_1108.jpg

Here is a photo from the inter web: Assumed to be Performance pack, check out the number of springs and note their lengths.
    Ironman_4X4_2nd__3rd_Gen_Tacoma_-Stage_2_Foam_Cell_Pro_Suspension_Kit-4.jpg

Another Installation Pic: This one appears to built the same as above. Assumed performance pack.
    Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 8.52.43 PM.jpg

And the last of my creeper pics: Another installation pic, matches the two above. I think it's safe to assume the above 3 pics show the appropriate leaf lengths for the performance pack.
    Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 9.19.45 PM.jpg

Based on these, I think @mandog is spot on with his information that the difference between the Performance and Constant leaf pack is the 3rd and 5th spring if counting from the top. I bought the constant pack knowing it was WAY more than my current needs, but for the same price as their performance pack, it may be a good investment as my build continues. Time will tell if that was the right decision or not.

So for now, I am considering two options: be proactive and pull the 5th leaf before installation (and find a sufficient replacement center pin) or gamble and hope my DC adds enough weight to pull the rear down to a reasonable level with only the 3rd leaf removed.

This forum is worth its weight in gold when this type of information is shared! :cheers:

nwmorrow and FashTaco like this.
  15. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    FashTaco

FashTaco Jungle Asian

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR 6MT DCSB <- 2018 TRD SPORT 6MT ACLB
    My gut tells me you should pull a second leaf but what kind of weight are you running? Get that CB drop kit ready :rolleyes:

The spring rates are crazy on the constants - I've stood on my tailgate to see how much more it would drop with an extra 150-160lbs at the very back (always scheming for bumpers) and I'm not even sure it sagged any more than it currently sat lol. I'm glad the 5160's do a good enough job offsetting for ride quality.

16. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    ShawZ

ShawZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    N. NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Weight? What weight? That comes later on my build! HAHA.
    Anyone have a lead on center pins? Would the stock pin potentially swap in if I'm pulling two leafs? :popcorn:

I'll make sure the "washer jar" is in the garage after the first test drive to work on the CB spacer.

17. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    Superhulk LB

Superhulk LB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 superwhite DCLB off road
    Tonneau cover, Black exhaust tip, blacked out badges and tailgate lettering. Black rhino(glamis)18x9 wheels with +12 offset. LT265/70/18 Toyo Opencountry ATIII. Metaltech 4x4 rock sliders Cali Raised lower grill light bar/mounts TRD Pro Skid, DD Fogs(pro), Ironman 4x4 FC pro lift.
    Just to add to the variables here. With probably only 150lbs max added bed weight; I only got 1.5-2” lift with the performance leaf pack.

FashTaco likes this.
  18. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    ShawZ

ShawZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    N. NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    That's the best news I've heard all week! Thats the ballpark I wanna land when its all said and done!!! :fingerscrossed:

Superhulk LB[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 19, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    Superhulk LB

Superhulk LB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 superwhite DCLB off road
    Tonneau cover, Black exhaust tip, blacked out badges and tailgate lettering. Black rhino(glamis)18x9 wheels with +12 offset. LT265/70/18 Toyo Opencountry ATIII. Metaltech 4x4 rock sliders Cali Raised lower grill light bar/mounts TRD Pro Skid, DD Fogs(pro), Ironman 4x4 FC pro lift.
    The shop that I used said that was common too.

20. Nov 23, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    JMcFly

JMcFly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I keep seeing this brand pop up and at first it seemed rather cheese with its bright green springs and logos...But it may be worthwhile to consider. I'd just repaint the springs for less cheese....

To Top