1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is a full size spare worth it?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by IronCladTRD, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    not trying to thread jack OP

but what if i have 265/75R16 and spare is 265/70r16? could i get buy with putting it on the back till i could get to a better or safer place to switch it or a tire shopif i just go slow and easy? i know there is a 1” difference in tire size.

2. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Okay...

Different diamater, on the rear axle you're going to walk your spiders, normally they don't walk unless turning, you'll accelerate wear on them... not a big deal for the short distances were referring to... especially if you get a tire that's roughly the same size. I'd just find a tire and wheel on CL, I see them here all the time.

With that said, I'd probably put a smaller spare on the front axle if it wasn't a huge pain, due to the way the ADD works unless you're in 4wd both shafts aren't connected and so it doesn't matter which side you put it on and it doesn't matter that the diamater is different, not really anyway.

Even in 4wd you should be in slippery shit or at least loose enough the tires can slip easy and it won't really matter there either.

In the end as long as you're not driving far with mismatched tires, either axle you'll be okay but it's probably better on the front. Weight isn't a concern.

IF you do drive far you're going to wear out your diffs, they're not going to catch fire and explode. Subie diffs have very little oil capacity compared to ours, they're also mounted quite different. It's all together a different story. You may get your diff super hot though and like I said you'll wear them out, either the gears, or the bearings, you'll kill the oil, that'll kill other parts.

Edit: with a mechanical limited slip you have to worry about wearing the clutches and I don't know how the modern traction control systems will react, I always forget about that shit because I'm e-locker/open and no electronic crap.

3. Jan 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    This.

4. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD [OP] Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    Thanks! You said it, not me! :thumbsup:

5. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,

This thread isn't about doughnut spares though.

6. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD [OP] Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    We could make it about donut spares. Or donuts. Or just to troll all the bros we could discuss the smallest possible tire size on a stock Tacoma. "No, really, I already tried searching."

7. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Not sure what ^ that was about. :confused:
    Anyway... as to your original question try googling it. For 4x4 trucks most will say if you have a smaller size spare to put it on the front just long enough to get to a tire shop and not to engage 4wd.

8. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Absolutely get a full size spare.

Products Discussed in

To Top