1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is air supposed to be coming out of here when the defogger isn't on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PennSilverTaco, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Sep 14, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    fxntime

fxntime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma off road TRD and 2014 FJC
    Every modern vehicle I have owned with A/C does this, it's simply warm moist air hitting a cold surface and condensing. Chevy, honda, Yota, they all have to follow the laws of nature.

Jamesboy2233 and ace96 like this.
  2. Sep 14, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    ZRXDean

ZRXDean Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langhorne PA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB - Pabst Metallic
    OME 885, Billstein 5100, Deaver 2" AAL, ARE CX Cap, Go Rhino Dominator steps
    Blackfoot is awesome... That's all I have to contribute here.....

3. Sep 14, 2018 at 5:52 AM
    blefferd

blefferd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I don't dispute the laws of nature, the point is cold air should not be blowing on the window making the window cold unless you want cold air blowing on the window. If you notice in the OP pictures it only happens right where the window defogging vent is located. It starts in that exact spot and slowly chills a large portion of the window, causing that area to fog over. If cold AC air was not blowing directly on the inside of the window, it would maintain a closer temp with the outside and would not fog up.
    This is why NONE of the other windows fog over unless you point a vent at them chilling them.

Try this some time, when its raining or humid out take your driver side vent and point it at the window with the AC on till it fogs over, then turn the vent away from it and the fog will go away once the window temp comes back down and maintains a closer temp to the outside air temp.

My modern 2016 4Runner does not do this, and none of the modern vehicles I've owned with AC never did this. It only blows any air on the window when I tell it to via the vent selection knob.

PennSilverTaco [OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 14, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    Jamesboy2233

Jamesboy2233 95.5 sr5

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota Submarine
    Thats exactly what my dad did... he stuffed a color matched towel though

5. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can't believe that nobody here knows this.... it comes out a bit on the windshield when you have the vents set to FEET.

ace96 likes this.
  6. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Design flaw. :rofl:

7. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    96carboard

Member:
    Actually, no. It does that in order to keep your windshield de*frost*ed in the winter. Normally you only need the full on defogging modes when you are still warming up or it is excessively cold or freezing rain or something, and having it on feet is the only way to keep a bit of heat hitting the windshield without it automatically cycling the air conditioner. This mode of operation predates air conditioners being available (or at least common) on cars, and every car I've ever driven (except for one soviet car...) implemented this.

8. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:31 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I was making a joke of a previous post. :D

9. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM
    96carboard

Member:
    Well... over my head.

10. Sep 14, 2018 at 1:56 PM
    blefferd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I am going to assume this is a joke about my post. Anyways, air blows on the window in ALL vent positions, not just FEET or WINDSHIELD, or WINSHIELD+ FEET. I have yet to have ANY interior windows fog in hot and rainy/humid conditions when I am running my AC. So why would I need AC air blowing only on my front windshield to keep the inside of the window from fogging over when none of the other interior windows fog in the same conditions? It does not matter how cold the ac can get the cabin no other windows will fog over.

If the AC ducting only routed the air to the front facing vents when selected like its supposed to do, you would not have cold air blowing on your windshield causing the exterior front windshield to fog over. I live in FL and VA and run my AC 90% of the year and the ONLY window that fogs on the outside is the front when its hot and humid out or raining, my driver and passenger side windows will fog on the outside IF I point the vent at them, the difference is you can close them or point them else where, you get no choice with the windshield vent, so you just have to let it fog over and run your wipers when its not even raining out or sweat to death.

If you have to place a Tshirt or tape over your vent to keep your front windshield from fogging on the outside then its a design flaw, period.

I feel like the people that think this is normal are the same ones that do the "MOD" to turn off the AC compressor when the defrost/defog (windshield air) is turned on...

11. Sep 14, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    SilverBulletII

SilverBulletII Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma SR, MT, 4 cylinders, 4X4
    By design, modern vehicles have a constant air flow through the cabin, even if the fan is in the “off” position.

12. Sep 14, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    blefferd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Still no one can tell me why my 4Runner does not fog the exterior front windshield in the same conditions, and this is the first vehicle I've had that does this in the same conditions, and another member posted that several work vehicles he drives never do this.

But it happens to a lot of Tacoma drivers so its normal..

Products Discussed in

To Top