1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it ok to shift into 4lo from 4hi on a hill climb?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Schully, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:50 AM
    Schully

Schully [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 2.7 AC 4x4

2. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

from what i have read online you should never use 4x4 on pavement.. it will cause major damage in the future. Also you should not go through your gears if you are in 4lo... again from what i have read 4lo is intended for lower speeds(under 15mph).

3. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    In 4Lo, you couldn't go 15 mph in 1st gear w/o over-revving...

As I stated before, you can use all the gears of your truck in 4 LO... Most likely 1-4 for most situations...

Obviously, 4LO is not made for high speeds, but if you pay attention to rpm's, you should be fine in any gear...

It still amazes me how many people are afraid to use 4wd and 4Lo...

4. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

Well when i said 15 mph i meant in 2nd gear, if it were in 1st gear rpms would be just a little on the high side.
    i'll have to do some more research cause i have not found anywhere where it says that you can be doing 60mph on 4Lo.. maybe i haven't done enough research. Cause I could definately be doing 60 mph in 5th gear and the rpms would be really low.

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    I get what your saying, but my point is that with a little common sense, you can use whatever gear is necessary in 4Lo... Obviously 60 mph in 4Lo is ridiculous... I don't have any trails around here where you need 4Lo and can go over 25 mph...

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Amen!! Especially if you're in wooded trials and you're climbing over obstacles, hillclimbs, hill decents.... 4lo all the way and the entire day.

7. Jan 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You can't do it. Your rev limiter would probably kick in.

I had my truck in 4lo in a snow storm once (AUTO) - and I couldn't get it past 35mph the rpms were screaming.

If you need to go that fast - have it in 4Hi. But for wooded trail riding, crawling over obstacles, hillclimbs & hill decents...put it in 4lo. Going up a hillclimb faster than 35mph is just asking for trouble.

USE IT (4lo) and get used to it. YOu'll learn to love it!

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, in 4Lo, you rarely have to use your brakes on decents... don't have to use much "go pedal" for hills, and have very "controlled" power delivery for safely negotiating trail obstacles...

Like I stated before, I sometimes do 40+ miles in a day w/o shifting out of 4Lo...

:)

9. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

yeah i get what ur saying too.. yeah there are no trails where you can do 60mph in 4lo.

10. Jan 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    well, op, if you are behind thes wheel of your truck, and you look up, there should be a card on the visor that tells you when and how to use the 4hi and 4lo options. pretty sure it says to come to complete stop.

11. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    john32

john32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seaside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Reg cab 2.7L SR5 Manual
    diff breather
    im from monterey but i spend alot of time in the bay during baseball season, i try to catch alot of games.

12. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:56 PM
    Schully

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 2.7 AC 4x4
    ha no way! i live in seaside, small world man lol

13. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Everyone with a 4WD Taco needs to enjoy their truck and what it was made to do! 4WD LOW (L4) is for CRAWLING Up or Down steep grades, or deep/ stuck in the mud situations... SLOW is the beauty of LOW RANGE... You won't break things if you crawl over them. Low Range is for maximum torque power to the tires, not speed. As has been said above, you can't go fast in L4.

Now, for the '09 and '10 Off Road TRD 4WD Tacos... We have the A-TRAC button to push in L4, this provides LSD (Limited Slip Differential) action so if one of the tires pops into the air or begins to spin from lack of traction, the opposite tire will now get power to pull you along.

Earlier Tacomas had open differentials only, so once a tire looses traction, only it will have power and spin, uselessly. That is why we loved the LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL... That insured at least both rear tires got power, even if one of them lost traction or was in the air.

Maximum traction is 4L, A-TRAC and LOCKING RR DIFF. all working for you. This is for slow speed and to get out of the tough situation. Turn off the locker when you don't need it. A-TRAC will take care of you!

For those of you new to four wheeling your new Taco, most of your four wheeling will be in H4. This allows higher speed and fun in snow, sand, mud. H4 is shift on the fly (from H2) and is automatically in TRAC (LSD) for front and rear limited slip traction.

If you are in 2WD Taco (H2) and you become stuck (rear tires won't get you out) a quick push of the VSC OFF button turns on AUTO LSD for LSD braking action without regulating engine output. Those of us with 4X4 Tacos can just go into H4 for a better way out, but AUTO LSD is available in H2!

If you want to spin donuts (H4 or H2) and goof off, hold the VSC-OFF button for 5 seconds while stopped, and the '09/ '10 Taco will be just like the earlier ones with open differentials. Touch the button again or re-start your truck and TRAC + VSC is reactivated.

Have fun... I sure am!

14. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Schully

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 2.7 AC 4x4
    10851, you're the man!!!! thanks for the info my friend, i will heed to your advice.

Products Discussed in

To Top